Cessna 152 spin integrity

Old January 25th 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

Default Cessna 152 spin integrity

I was watching the 50-something spins done in a 152 on youtube and it
got me thinking;

I seem to remember being taught during commercial training that spins
do not greatly increase G forces on the airplane, is this true?

I also remember being warned "no spin is exactly the same or
predictable, so DON'T do them solo! Was this just a warning from my
school so we wouldn't screw up their gyros or are spins indeed
possibly very dangerous inherently for some reason?

I would like to try some solo next time I'm up just for fun but may
take a willing CFI along (or fellow pilot) just in case.

Would 50-something spins compromise a Cessna 150 or 152's structure?

Another thing I'd be concerned about was getting overly dizzy beyond a
handful of spins.

Ricky
Old January 25th 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Noel

One thing that will definitely be different is the CG of the aircraft solo
vs. dual. Also, spins can change as they 'fully develop' and possibly be
difficult to exit. It's not something to experiment with unless you have a
parachute and are ready to use it!

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

Old January 25th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Jan 25, 12:55*pm, Ricky wrote:
I was watching the 50-something spins done in a 152 on youtube and it
got me thinking;

I seem to remember being taught during commercial training that spins
do not greatly increase G forces on the airplane, is this true?

I also remember being warned "no spin is exactly the same or
predictable, so DON'T do them solo! Was this just a warning from my
school so we wouldn't screw up their gyros or are spins indeed
possibly very dangerous inherently for some reason?

I would like to try some solo next time I'm up just for fun but may
take a willing CFI along (or fellow pilot) just in case.

Would 50-something spins compromise a Cessna 150 or 152's structure?

Another thing I'd be concerned about was getting overly dizzy beyond a
handful of spins.

Ricky

Not sure if this is a troll or not.....but assuming it is serious,
spins do not create additional G loads any more than normal flight
maneuvers do.
As far as doing them solo? If you haven't done them with a qualified
CFI, and its a damned shame that I even have to qualify that comment,
don't do them solo. Get some training in a proper aircraft.
The number of turns has nothing to do with integrity of the aircraft,
only the recovery
Dizzy is a state of mind as far as doing spins. Visual perceptions
will appear to be going out of control but after you are accustomed to
spins, you can count 1/4 turns and roll out on a specific heading.
Nothing dizzy about it unless you are a genuine blond.
As previously discussed for hundreds of posts and responses, spins
continue to be controversial. Its a damned shame that general aviation
has come to such a poor state when a normal flight maneuver is such a
sore point and continues to kill people every year.
Ol S&B
Old January 25th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On Jan 25, 2:34*pm, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:

(snipped...)

Hi and thanks for your answer...actually thanks to everyone who
responded to this so far.

What would make you think I am a troll?
Is my question silly, ridiculous, irritating?
FYI I am not a troll, just a comm/inst pilot wanting to do some spins
soon and wanting some advice.

Thanks,

Ricky

Old January 25th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Ricky wrote:

I also remember being warned "no spin is exactly the same or
predictable, so DON'T do them solo! Was this just a warning from my
school so we wouldn't screw up their gyros or are spins indeed
possibly very dangerous inherently for some reason?

Sounds like the school didn't have a whole lot of confidence in the spin
training they provided. Assuming you're within the proper weight and CG
envelope, spins should be quite predictable. Particularly in something like a
152.

A local FBO will only allow spins in their Great Lakes aerobatic trainers
(they also have Supercubs and Huskies) because the have cageable gyros. I've
often wondered if this isn't an Old Wives Tale. I've been spinning my
Cherokee on a fairly regular basis since 1994. The gyros often tumble during
spins, but that's never caused a maintenance problem. I've still got the
same gyros in the panel that were there when I bought the plane 14 yrs. ago.
They've never been removed for OH and they're still working fine.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old January 25th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_22_]

"JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote in

Ricky wrote:

[...]

Holy Crap! That's amazing!

It definitely wrecks gyros. The one place I worked that had no non gyro
airplanes had one airplane ( cherokee) for spins and it's gyros barely
showed any interest at all.
I suppose it depends on the quality, but it is defnitely not an old
wives tale.

Bertie
Old January 25th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Ricky wrote:
I was watching the 50-something spins done in a 152 on youtube and it
got me thinking;

I seem to remember being taught during commercial training that spins
do not greatly increase G forces on the airplane, is this true?

I also remember being warned "no spin is exactly the same or
predictable, so DON'T do them solo! Was this just a warning from my
school so we wouldn't screw up their gyros or are spins indeed
possibly very dangerous inherently for some reason?

I would like to try some solo next time I'm up just for fun but may
take a willing CFI along (or fellow pilot) just in case.

Would 50-something spins compromise a Cessna 150 or 152's structure?

Another thing I'd be concerned about was getting overly dizzy beyond a
handful of spins.

Ricky

Hi Rick;

I'm not trying to be confrontational here but I notice you are a
commercial pilot. I can't for the life of me rectify why you don't know
the answers to the questions you are asking here. I find it incredulous
that a commercial pilot could go through the process, then pass the
flight test and not know these answers.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 25th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_22_]

Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Ricky wrote:
[...]

Modern life!

To be fair, I wouldn't have known much about structures and G limits
when I got my commercial either. There's certainly nothing presented in
the syllabus that could be described as anything more than rudimentary.
The current trend is to tell pilots less and less about how the
airplanes they fly are put together. The last type rating I did was just
appalling.

Bertie
Old January 26th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Ricky wrote:
[...]

Again, I don't mean to be picking on the OP who innocently asked what
I'm sure he believes to be pertinent questions. My puzzlement is more
directed at the system that trained this pilot.

A commercial pilot who has to ask if a spin greatly increases the g
forces on an airplane?
A commercial pilot who has to ask if spins are inherently dangerous?

Things CAN'T be THIS bad....or ARE they!!!!!!

--
Dudley Henriques