How blue is 100LL?

Old April 27th 04, 01:11 AM
C J Campbell

Throw some of the fuel on the pavement. If it evaporates quickly, it is
avgas. If it just sits there, it is jet fuel. Avgas also acts differently if
you throw it onto a puddle of water than jet fuel does.

Anything that is put into a fuel tank is going to come out dyed blue and
smelling like gas.

Old April 27th 04, 10:55 AM
Cub Driver

I don't know. My point is that on most med to small airports, if it smells
like gas, it's going to be 100LL.

And not mogas, which has a very distinctive and unpleasant smell. The
Cubs on my airfield were STC'ed for mogas, but the instructors
complained so much that the STCs were yanked, and the planes are now
placard for 100LL.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! blog www.vivabush.org
Old April 27th 04, 03:08 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Cub Driver wrote:

And not mogas, which has a very distinctive and unpleasant smell. The
Cubs on my airfield were STC'ed for mogas, but the instructors
complained so much that the STCs were yanked, and the planes are now
placard for 100LL.

If I can smell gas of either sort during normal operations, I won't be flying that
aircraft.

George Patterson
If you don't tell lies, you never have to remember what you said.
Old April 27th 04, 07:48 PM
gatt

"James M. Knox" wrote in message

So how blue is it supposed to be? Is there another simple test I could
have done to reassure myself (besides burning 30gal of it and having it
work fine)?

I've seen it all over the place. From almost navy blue (at an airport

that
doesn't get much traffic, to no discernable color at all).

Ran into this at the FBO that I fly out of at PDX-TTD. Sometimes the dye is
so pale that you have to hold it right up against a white surface such as
the vertical stabilizer to confirm the blue dye.

-c

Old April 27th 04, 10:00 PM
Teacherjh

Dribble a little fuel onto a piece of white paper...if it evaporates and
leaves behind a tint, it is avgas; if it spreads out, soaking into the
paper, it is jet fuel.

If it leaves a ring, it's jet fuel. I've been told even a little (like 5%) is
sufficient to leave a visible ring.

But yes, I've seen very pale 100LL. In fact, I've rarely seen really blue
stuff. When I got my license (1980) it was supposed to be as blue as Windex.
(in fact, that's what was used in a slide my ground instructor had to show the
fuel colors - El Monte didn't have 100LL at the time)

To top it off, my fuel tester has little plastic inserts - they are blue. I
wish they'd get smart and make them white or clear.

Jose

Old April 29th 04, 02:17 PM
Bob Moore

"Eclipsme" wrote

Next time try pouring a few ounces of the fuel onto the ramp. Fuel
will soak in, but water will bead up.

And in Florida, gets you a $50,000 fine.

Bob Moore
Old April 29th 04, 03:32 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Eclipsme wrote:

Next time try pouring a few ounces of the fuel onto the ramp.

Don't get caught. That'll get you kicked off many airports and get you fines in some
places. Gas damages asphalt.