A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Final Day Uvalde

Old August 20th 18, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Auxvache
external usenet poster

Default Final Day Uvalde

Congrats to all for what looks like an exciting, challenging, and safe race! Hope we hear some of the stories behind the scores at some point.

Might be a good time to make the most respectful and gentle request that the relevant SSA committees reconsider a move toward adoption of SeeYou scoring and SoaringSpot.
Old August 20th 18, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Final Day Uvalde

On Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 12:00:14 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Final Day 15M/Open Class Nats: Mark Keene on todays weather. Cirrus to NW, sliding to SW. It could become in play later. Southern area for tasks. Thermals 3000/4000 feet at 1pm, but gets better as the afternoon progresses, again in the SW. Sky Site shows 4/5 knots about 12:30 and gets better in the southern part. Pessimistic up in the NW. NAM is pessimistic about stuff coming from the NW later in the day. Winds at Laredo 9mph up to 18mph. Seabreeze doesn’t look to be a factor.

CD John Lubon: Expecting things to get going sooner with more clouds….1st turn to south to get into good area. If we have to deal with cirrus that might or might not come in later, perhaps may influence decision to head out early. Don’t dilly dally. 3 hr. Area tasks both classes.

What happened to Seaborn on the last day ?
Old August 20th 18, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Final Day Uvalde

Lawn Dart I know that feeling all too well
Old August 20th 18, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason
external usenet poster

Default Final Day Uvalde

On Monday, 20 August 2018 09:33:32 UTC-6, wrote:
Final Day 15M/Open Class Nats: Mark Keene on todays weather. Cirrus to NW, sliding to SW. It could become in play later. Southern area for tasks. Thermals 3000/4000 feet at 1pm, but gets better as the afternoon progresses, again in the SW. Sky Site shows 4/5 knots about 12:30 and gets better in the southern part. Pessimistic up in the NW. NAM is pessimistic about stuff coming from the NW later in the day. Winds at Laredo 9mph up to 18mph. Seabreeze doesn’t look to be a factor.

CD John Lubon: Expecting things to get going sooner with more clouds….1st turn to south to get into good area. If we have to deal with cirrus that might or might not come in later, perhaps may influence decision to head out early. Don’t dilly dally. 3 hr. Area tasks both classes.

lawn dart, flight logs available for review on SSA site
Old August 20th 18, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711
external usenet poster

Default Final Day Uvalde

On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 9:33:32 AM UTC-6, wrote:

On the SSA website under soaring news is a video of daily winner Rick Indrebo. He talks of the first glide after staring. Seems they got extremely low, some lower than others. He found his first climb around 1200 agl and was above Dave ZL who was at 700 agl, Said it made him feel high. It's a good video to watch and also daily winner Dave Mocker is on video. http://www.ssa.org/. Logs are now up on the SSA site, so you can download and watch who ever's flight.

Best. Tom #711.
Old August 20th 18, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Final Day Uvalde

On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 11:49:43 AM UTC-4, Tony wrote:

Been there- Done that.
UH
Old August 20th 18, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Final Day Uvalde

On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 12:14:20 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 11:49:43 AM UTC-4, Tony wrote:

Been there- Done that.
UH

Two pilots in one contest.

9B
Old August 21st 18, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Final Day Uvalde

It was a long glide across a big blue hole. I thought I was the first to start but when I got there ZL was heading back to field just above my altitude of 900 I went under him and about 3 miles from the field we were looking at I put down the gear and started dumping water had decided to land at about 700 agl when I got a little beep on the vario. shut the valve and started to climb at 1kt. ZL saw me on flarm and came back to climb up with me just as I was getting to 2kts and 1200agl the "pack" arrived and we all proceeded to limb a few k then moved on to better clouds forming to the south and decreasing high cirrus. A8 arrived too late and missed the bubble The rest of the flight for most was very fast and pretty good except a long 50 mile final with little lift. Had I not dumped most of my water I would have been a few miles an hour faster

CH ASW27