Question about SpaceShipOne...

Old October 4th 04, 10:40 PM
Oscar S Alonso

Default Question about SpaceShipOne...

A stupid question for RAS members...

Assuming you have the financial resources could you legally fly the
SpaceShipOne with a Private Pilot Glider with a Motor glider endorsement?

Regards,
Oscar.

P.S. -- The Space/Aircraft has an "N"umber.

Old October 4th 04, 11:21 PM
JC

Oscar S Alonso wrote:

A stupid question for RAS members...

Assuming you have the financial resources could you legally fly the
SpaceShipOne with a Private Pilot Glider with a Motor glider endorsement?

Regards,
Oscar.

P.S. -- The Space/Aircraft has an "N"umber.

If a check of the "N" number indicates it is a glider the answer is
Yes. If it is registered in another class other than glider the answer
is no. At least in the U.S.

But I would still like to see the look on the local FSDO
representatives face when you get ramp checked and show your glider
license with self launch privileges.

Old October 5th 04, 12:13 AM
TOM RENT

http://www.ipilot.com/aircraft/acreg.asp?n=328KF

Old October 5th 04, 12:59 AM
Eric Greenwell

Doug Easton wrote:
Don't think you need self launch privileges. It's really a sustainer motor!

So, what kind of log book endorsement do you need for a "drop launch"
from an airplane? It's not aerotow, ground launch, or self-launch, so
maybe a waiver is needed from the FAA?

Oddly, it's listed with "no engine".

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old October 5th 04, 10:59 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article ,
Eric Greenwell wrote:

So, what kind of log book endorsement do you need for a "drop launch"
from an airplane? It's not aerotow, ground launch, or self-launch, so
maybe a waiver is needed from the FAA?

As I undestand it, in the USA you can use any launch method you like
unless your license is endorsed. So if your license says "aerotow only"
then that's all you can do, but if you are rated for both aerotow and
ground launch and therefore have no endorsement then you could do air
drop too.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
Old October 5th 04, 01:22 PM
David Starer

Presumably the two pilots have now qualified for their "A" and "B"
certificates?

David Starer

Old October 7th 04, 08:51 PM
For Example John Smith

There's no requirement for a "drop launch" endorsement in any regs that I
can find.
So, do we just show up, help drag the ships out to the line and wait our
turn?

When I first heard of Virgin Galactic and their plans and prices a little
image flashed in my mind--
Me: (arriving home with a smile) "Hi honey, I'm back from another run of
the mill west coast biz trip"
She: (very ****ed look) "What happened to our 401(k) balance?
Me: (working hard at looking nonchalant) "I dunno, we didn't have another
one of those bubble things did we?"

Old October 8th 04, 01:51 AM
Mark James Boyd

Oscar S Alonso wrote:

A stupid question for RAS members...

Assuming you have the financial resources could you legally fly the
SpaceShipOne with a Private Pilot Glider with a Motor glider endorsement?

Regards,
Oscar.

P.S. -- The Space/Aircraft has an "N"umber.

A assume it's experimental, so there is no cat/class requirement by
US regulations when flying SOLO.

As of Sept 1st, the exemption for flying with passengers
in an experimental without appropriate cat/class has been removed.

This really sucks, since I can't go fly with Hans in his gyrocopter
now

Oh, and there's no "motor glider endorsement" only a
self-launch endorsement. SpaceShipOne doesn't launch using the motor,
it is released. So I don't see where an endorsement is required.

Actually, I don't see why a glider pilot couldn't take a regular
aerotow in a motorglider either. And even use the
motor while in flight. The endorsement seems to be for
launch.

But keep in mind, I'm not an expert on this, given I don't have
a motorglider endorsement...
--

Mark J. Boyd