Question about SpaceShipOne...

Old October 8th 04, 01:57 AM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
Bruce Hoult wrote:
In article ,
Eric Greenwell wrote:

So, what kind of log book endorsement do you need for a "drop launch"
from an airplane? It's not aerotow, ground launch, or self-launch, so
maybe a waiver is needed from the FAA?

As I undestand it, in the USA you can use any launch method you like
unless your license is endorsed. So if your license says "aerotow only"
then that's all you can do, but if you are rated for both aerotow and
ground launch and therefore have no endorsement then you could do air
drop too.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

As of 1997, it seems endorsements were required to self-launch,
ground launch, or aerotow. But no prohibitions of other techniques
are in the regs (such as drop-launch or slope launch/pushed off
of a hill). The restriction on glider licenses requiring a
check-ride to remove was discontinued in 1997 in favor of
the endorsement option by a CFI. It's much easier to get a
CFI endorsement than find a DPE qualified to do this...

But again, if solo and with some pilots license already, an experimental
doesn't require cat/class of the pilot.

So someone with a PPL/ballon LTA would be legal in the USA.
--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old October 8th 04, 06:14 AM
F.L. Whiteley

"Mark James Boyd" wrote in message
Oscar S Alonso wrote:

A stupid question for RAS members...

Assuming you have the financial resources could you legally fly the
SpaceShipOne with a Private Pilot Glider with a Motor glider endorsement?

Regards,
Oscar.

P.S. -- The Space/Aircraft has an "N"umber.

A assume it's experimental, so there is no cat/class requirement by
US regulations when flying SOLO.

As of Sept 1st, the exemption for flying with passengers
in an experimental without appropriate cat/class has been removed.

This really sucks, since I can't go fly with Hans in his gyrocopter
now

Oh, and there's no "motor glider endorsement" only a
self-launch endorsement. SpaceShipOne doesn't launch using the motor,
it is released. So I don't see where an endorsement is required.

Actually, I don't see why a glider pilot couldn't take a regular
aerotow in a motorglider either. And even use the
motor while in flight. The endorsement seems to be for
launch.

But keep in mind, I'm not an expert on this, given I don't have
a motorglider endorsement...
--

Mark J. Boyd

T models do it all the time. SSO has a sustainer. The pilots hold glider
ratings.