cost of sport pilot checkride?

Old September 2nd 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john hawkins

Default cost of sport pilot checkride?

My medical expired som etime ago so I thought I'd get a sport pilot rating.
I took and passed the knowledge test. I've got access to a light sport
plane. I'm looking foor an examiner and also want to know what a reasonable
check ride cost would be.
any info would be appreciated.

Old September 2nd 07, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"john hawkins" wrote in message
et...
My medical expired som etime ago so I thought I'd get a sport pilot
rating. I took and passed the knowledge test. I've got access to a light
sport plane. I'm looking foor an examiner and also want to know what a
reasonable check ride cost would be.
any info would be appreciated.

\
Did you not already have your Private SEL (or other) rating?
--
Jim in NC

Old September 2nd 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Shirl

"john hawkins" wrote:
My medical expired som etime ago so I thought I'd get a sport
pilot rating. I took and passed the knowledge test. I've got
access to a light sport plane. I'm looking foor an examiner
and also want to know what a reasonable check ride cost
would be. any info would be appreciated.

Where are you (city/state)? What plane do you have access to?
Old September 2nd 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

You already are a "sport pilot" if you have a PPL and a State issued Drivers
Licence, and you self certify that you are medically fit to fly. But I'm
glad you studied the limitations of the Sport Pilot class because you will
be expected to fly within those new rule sets. I have not heard of the FAA
issuing a new plastic cert to any PPL, but you could call the Safety Program
Manager at your nearest FSDO and ask (if you really want one that states
Sport Pilot). Check the faa.gov site for FSDO numbers. As far as the light
sport plane, just get a checkout satisfactory to yourself and the insurance
co, and you're good to go.

Old September 2nd 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

As I understand it, any pilot with a ASEL Private Rating or higher can
automatically fly LSA as a Sport Pilot. No additional flight test required
from the FAA. However, if you choose to fly LSA that use different methods
of flight control such as weight shift etc, then you do need a qualified CFI
to endorse your logbook to fly that aircraft.

What Light Sport Aircraft do you have access to? You should only need a
qualified CFIs endorsement. You should not need an FAA check ride.

You do have to fly according to Sport Pilot rules, no night, etc, but you by
the nature of holding a Pvt rating or higher already hold the endorsements
for flight into ClassB, C and D airspace, and flight above 10,000MSL.

Look at the table in 61.303, US drivers License and "at least" a
Recreational certificate or higher with category and class (ASEL), then you
can fly any LSA ASEL aircraft. Comply with 61.315 and 61.321. Part 61.321
states the "instructor endorsement" required to operate in a different
category of LSA.

Let the medical expire, find an aircraft that qualifies as LSA, J-3 Cub etc,
and keep flying.

BT

Old September 3rd 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john hawkins

Thanks for replys I've gotten so far. I'm located in St Marys GA just over
the border from Florida.

I need to qualify what I am looking for a little more. I have the
opportunity to do tailwheel checkouts but I need an instructor rating. The
simplest way I can do that is to be a sport pilot instructor. The practical
test is the same as the sport pilot with a little instructor tasks added.
I've got plenty of time logged and I've passed both the FOI and sport
knowledge tests. The one guy I know in Ga who is a designated examiner
doesn't do sport pilot.

I 'm interested in cost because I can not get over the increases in flying
costs since I was last active and want to have a ball part figure. If its
too high, it would not be worth my time since tailwheel checkouts are low
demand in my area

Old September 3rd 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

The FSDO should be able to supply an examiner or access to a DPE that does
the Sport Pilot Instructor. We have a DPE in our local FSDO district here. I
can ask him what he charges.

BT

. net...

Old September 3rd 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

john hawkins wrote:
My medical expired som etime ago so I thought I'd get a sport pilot rating.
I took and passed the knowledge test. I've got access to a light sport
plane. I'm looking foor an examiner and also want to know what a reasonable
check ride cost would be.
any info would be appreciated.

My understanding is if you have a private certificate you can let your
medical expire and you don't have to do anything to "qualify" for sport
pilot. You are qualified already based on your private.

Margy
Old September 6th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 04:29:29 GMT, "john hawkins"
wrote:

My medical expired som etime ago so I thought I'd get a sport pilot rating.
I took and passed the knowledge test. I've got access to a light sport
plane. I'm looking foor an examiner and also want to know what a reasonable
check ride cost would be.
any info would be appreciated.

If you had a private pilot or recreational certificate to go with that
medical, you don't need a new ticket in order to fly with sport pilot
privileges. Of course you may need a biennial flight review. Hang on a
second; I'll look at my logbook.

Right. Says nothing about transitioning to sport pilot. It's just a
generic BFR.

I did make sure I had a letter from my insurance agent confirming that
she understood that I was flying with sport pilot privileges, and I
talked to the airport owner to make sure he was okay renting to a
sport pilot.

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com
Old September 7th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Sep 2, 4:00 pm, "john hawkins" wrote:
Thanks for replys I've gotten so far. I'm located in St Marys GA just over
the border from Florida.

I need to qualify what I am looking for a little more. I have the
opportunity to do tailwheel checkouts but I need an instructor rating. The
simplest way I can do that is to be a sport pilot instructor. The practical
test is the same as the sport pilot with a little instructor tasks added.
I've got plenty of time logged and I've passed both the FOI and sport
knowledge tests. The one guy I know in Ga who is a designated examiner
doesn't do sport pilot.

Are you already a CFI?

-Robert