req: CFI job advice

Old August 31st 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gattman[_2_]

Default req: CFI job advice

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...

Turns out, they don't have to fire somebody for it to get sued for it.
It's
illegal. But many companies either don't know it or they do it for as
long
as they can get away with it.

Your wife may believe that but at least in California the courts have
provided us guidelines for such agreeements to make them enforcable.

(True: We're in Oregon. Different states handle that differently.)

Old August 31st 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Really-Old-Fart

In rec.aviation.piloting, on Fri 31 Aug 2007 11:29:55a, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

If you like to spend 30 minutes preflighting, reviewing the logs etc,
please consider booking the plane at 4pm and the instructor at 4:30.
That way the instructor can continue with ground instruction or flight
instruction in another airplane while you take your time to prefilght.

If the plane just got back, I figure it's airworthy enough for me and I
would just give it a quick preflight (fuel, oil, and a quick shake to see
if anything falls off). Hell, it's not like we were going to have some
sort of problem and get stuck up there, ya know... By the time that the
instructor had finished reviewing the lesson with the previous student /
taken his money, I was usually ready to go. At the school where I went,
weekends were usually booked solid, so the instructor was going to be there
all day anyway. Of course, the school tended to prefer that the instructor
do all of his instructing when the engine was running so that they could
bill more for it. That's one of the reason that you would see one of their
aircraft sitting in the runup area with the instructor going over
everything they were going to be doing prior to takeoff. It tended to make
it rather inconvenient for cars who were driving to their hangar since
there often wasn't enough room to squeeze around them.
Old August 31st 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

wrote:
If you like to spend 30 minutes preflighting, reviewing the logs etc,
please consider booking the plane at 4pm and the instructor at 4:30.
That way the instructor can continue with ground instruction or flight
instruction in another airplane while you take your time to prefilght.

If the plane just got back, I figure it's airworthy enough for me and I
would just give it a quick preflight (fuel, oil, and a quick shake to see
if anything falls off).

I feel the same way but I don't discourage students who want to spend
30 minutes preflighting. If that is what they need to feel safe in the
airplane I don't rush them, I'd just like to not be in limbo during it
such that I can't develop any billable hours.

-Robert

Old August 31st 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

wrote:
If you like to spend 30 minutes preflighting, reviewing the logs etc,
please consider booking the plane at 4pm and the instructor at 4:30.
That way the instructor can continue with ground instruction or flight
instruction in another airplane while you take your time to prefilght.

If the plane just got back, I figure it's airworthy enough for me and I
would just give it a quick preflight (fuel, oil, and a quick shake to see
if anything falls off).

I feel the same way but I don't discourage students who want to spend
30 minutes preflighting. If that is what they need to feel safe in the
airplane I don't rush them, I'd just like to not be in limbo during it
such that I can't develop any billable hours.

-Robert

I take an alternative approach. I consider preflight one of the prime
activities that come under the heading of a developed habit pattern. For
this reason I prefer students to start from the gitgo to consider the
preflight as an activity to be performed with a degree of consistancy
rather than an activity that is performed one way one time and another
way at other times. In other words, I don't like to see students using
an abbreviated form of a preflight inspection.
It doesn't take all that long to do a normal preflight if done correctly
as opposed to some form of abbreviated preflight on an airplane that has
just returned from a flight.
The message I am aiming at in encouraging complete preflights is a
simple one. I want a new student to develop a habit pattern immediately
that REGARDLESS of the fact that an airplane might have just been flown
and returned and parked safely, that airplane is now transitioning from
one pilot to another pilot and the RESPONSIBILITY for the condition of
that airplane is now the responsibility of the next pilot to fly that
airplane.
The point here is that I don't want the pilots I train to EVER....and I
repeat it again...EVER, accept the responsibility for the safety of the
aircraft they are about to fly based on the last pilot's preflight and
the fact that the airplane has returned safely and parked.
If nothing else, something that went unnoticed during the last landing
and taxi in just might have caused damage to the point where it's ready
to fail.
Naturally, the immediate condition of the airplane is the obvious reason
I stress complete preflights.

The other less obvious reason is that all important mental conditioning
and habit pattern development we as instructors must impart to every
student we teach to fly; that as a pilot in command, you only get ONE
chance to preflight an aircraft before you take off in it. After
takeoff, it's way too late is anything is wrong.
It is your absolute and completely individual responsibility to make
absolutely certain that you personally have made the decision that the
aircraft is safe to fly based on your OWN observation.
When it comes to preflight, nothing should be assumed about the
condition of an aircraft. Proper preflight calls for a personal
inspection and that means a NORMAL preflight.
Keep in mind this is the way I do things personally and the procedures I
teach. I am aware that there might be other instructors who don't
approach this issue the way I do.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 31st 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

One way to increase CFI salaries is to form a powerful organization
called the AFIA (American Flight Instructor Association) that deems
that nobody can become a CFI without 8000 hrs total time including
2000 hrs of aerobatics, and at least a 100 Atlantic crossings in a
single engine and 5 yrs of advanced ground school. All CFIs have to be
evaluated and blessed by the AFIA before they can start instructing.
The reason for the stringent requirements would be of course that
flight instruction is a serious activity and only the best should
have the privilege to do so.
This is the only known way to beat the free market.

On Aug 31, 9:31 am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Aug 31, 8:37 am, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
wrote:

Gattman wrote:
Except, now there's a waiting list at the FBO for instructors to
become available, so supply and demand says it ought to be a really
good time to be a CFI...

There's a waiting list for students willing to pay for a $15/hr instructor.
If it goes up there may not any students at all. While supply and demand
works well on the macro level it doesn't always do so on the micro level.

No, supply and demand work great. As instruction rates go up, students
will drop off and there will be less demand such that supply and
demand will equal. We just don't like thinking about the idea that
demand for instruction will go down.

-Robert

Old September 1st 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 00:00:45 +0200 (CEST), "Really-Old-Fart"
wrote:

If the plane just got back, I figure it's airworthy enough for me and I
would just give it a quick preflight (fuel, oil, and a quick shake to see
if anything falls off). Hell, it's not like we were going to have some
sort of problem and get stuck up there, ya know...

That works for the airlines. G

I do the same. If my co-owner lands and sez' it flew great, I do a
walk around, oil & fuel check, maybe clean the windshield, and off I
go!
Old September 4th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john hawkins

Right on Dudley!

I was taught that way and I did a "full" preflight every time unless the
airplane was not out of my sight from the time I parked it until the tile I
went back out to preflight.

[snip]

Advice on PPL Crash Lander Piloting 14 July 20th 06 12:49 PM
Advice, please: too old to fly? R.W. Behan Home Built 68 June 12th 06 08:47 PM
SGU 2-22 advice Leon McAtee Soaring 2 July 16th 04 02:59 AM
help/advice please Billy Who? Piloting 0 January 15th 04 12:16 AM
Advice Brad Piloting 9 October 28th 03 03:54 PM