FAA ADS-B Out NPRM needs to be drastically changed

Old October 9th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

Default FAA ADS-B Out NPRM needs to be drastically changed

It would appear that AOPA is revising it's stance on the mandatory
ADS-B issue, but given the fact that AOPA feels it would only cost
each aircraft owner "thousands of dollars," not tens of thousands of
dollars, it is doubtful they yet fully appreciate the ramifications of
the issue. While mandatory ADS-B equipment might be a step forward
for GA pilot operations, it would seem to me, that it is FAA (and
avionics manufacturers) who stand to receive the most benefit from
this proposal.

Excellent point. The NPRM also only covers ADS-B Out which does not
get the GA pilot free weather or traffic info. I will have to correct
AOPA on that but since it took forever to correct them on the fuel
increase percentage during the user fee debate...it may be hard.

And if mandatory ADS-B installation were to result in the
decommissioning of ATC radar installations, that would be a step
backward, because there would be no backup system in the event of an
outage in ADS-B operation. But more importantly, the validity of
aircraft positional information, upon which ATC currently relies,
would switch from an empirical to reported. That coupled with the
change from terrestrial based communications to satellite based
communications would seem to provide reduced system integrity, IMO.

Concur. The backup strategy is to use SSR with transponders. I am
still unclear if all aircarft must keep curremt Mode C/S transponers
if they get ADS-B Out or if ADS-B Out units incorporate Mode C/S
functionality.

This NPRM is really flawed, makes unsupported conclusions and should
really be withdrawn entirely while they go back to the drawing board
and get some people with common sense helping them.

Ron Lee
Old October 9th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john hawkins

Based on historical FAA performance on modernization, what makes anyone
think that ADS-B will be ready to be implemented by 2020 or even 2050? I'm
glad the AOPA is keeping us aware of whats going on. I really think we need
to provide a voice to the FAA other than ATA and major contractors, but I'm
not worried that we will actually have to have ADS-B equipment anywhere the
planned date.

"Ron Lee" wrote in message
If you thought that the user fee issue was important, this proposal is
far more onerous to the GA community.

You can access the 100 page NPRM from this AOPA website:

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news..._196268-1.html

This NPRM to mandate ADS-B Out avionics on aircraft by 2020 as best I
can determine from available information will be costly (as high as
~$18,000 per aircraft) just to transmit position info.

snip

Old October 9th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:33:06 GMT, (Ron Lee)
wrote in :

The backup strategy is to use SSR with transponders.

So, primary radar will be decommissioned, and the ability to paint
anything, like rain and primary targets, will be lost also. Is that a
step forward?

Old October 9th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:52:35 GMT, "john hawkins"
wrote in
:

Based on historical FAA performance on modernization, what makes anyone
think that ADS-B will be ready to be implemented by 2020 or even 2050?

The contract recently signed with ITT to implement ADS-B nationally
presumably contains a performance clause and penalty for failure to
meet milestone dates.

Old October 9th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

Larry Dighera wrote:

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:52:35 GMT, "john hawkins"
wrote in
:

Based on historical FAA performance on modernization, what makes anyone
think that ADS-B will be ready to be implemented by 2020 or even 2050?

The contract recently signed with ITT to implement ADS-B nationally
presumably contains a performance clause and penalty for failure to
meet milestone dates.

Plus the ITT contract would have much of the system (ground stuff) in
place circa 2013...plenty of time for inevitable delays.

Ron Lee

nprm for private aviation [email protected] Piloting 4 September 11th 07 07:14 PM
FAA NPRM [author unknown] Casey Wilson Piloting 1 January 26th 07 06:11 PM
DC ADIZ NPRM Blueskies Piloting 3 August 17th 05 04:22 PM
DC ADIZ NPRM Blueskies Home Built 0 August 15th 05 11:41 PM
NPRM proposing to update the AC 43.13 2A - [email protected] Home Built 0 January 3rd 05 03:56 PM