barnyard, its on your head....

Old March 25th 10, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

Default barnyard, its on your head....

hey bob
as a direct result of your enjoying the rv3 I bought myself a set of
plans.
if I have as much fun as you after it gets built, it's on your head!
:-) :-) :-)

Stealth pilot
Old March 28th 10, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_7_]

Stealth Pilot wrote:

hey this thing is a pocket rocket! this must be one of the most
overlooked, best handling, high performance designs of all time.

Huh? Overlooked??? There are almost 6700 flying RVs worldwide.
Granted, not all of those are the RV-3 model, but most RVs would be
considered "pocket rockets"....

Old March 28th 10, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Voyager

Stealth Pilot wrote:

Bob, truely, if you ask vans they will sell you the plans to scratch
build the RV3. the RV3B plans are $us120.
yes the RV3 is available as a kitbuild with those lovely anodised
parts. trouble is that anodising halves the fatigue life of the
components. as I explained to vans I'd rather scratch build.

Stealth Pilot

Yes, anodizing has a detrimental effect on fatigue life, but so does
corrosion. If you are sure that you will never have a corrosion problem
(the airplane is kept in a desert), the not anodizing is probably a good
way to go. However, if there is any reasonable chance of corrosion, I
would take my chances with anodizing.

https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/...hesis_SP05.pdf

http://corrosion-doctors.org/Forms-fatigue/fatigue.htm
Old March 28th 10, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tom De Moor

In article ,
says...

I want it as my across australia transit machine. the performance it
gets out of an O-235 means that I can fly from one side of australia
to the other side in a long day's flying. I've been after a machine
with this capability for something like 10 years now.

Not wanting to spoile a party but if you have spent allready 10 years on
finding the RV-3, how many will you need building one from plans? Sadly
nobody is getting younger and very few of us get fitter in the process.

If a 1-day-Oz-transit machine is wanted, me thinks you should buy a
airline-ticket.

Van's are great, but the sheer amount of work equates to minimum 5 years
if all goes well (a plan build even longer), a major investement while
risking your mariage (when SWMBO finds out the RV-3 is single-seater).
Never imagine that because you don't count your time, the plane will be
'cheap' to make.

If you want to build, build. If you want to fly, buy.

Due to the actual economical climat good RVs go for less they cost to
make. Even a trip to the US, finding one and the aventure of getting
into Oz becomes interesting but not yearconsuming. Staggering is the
number of RVs people worked on for 5-10 years, finally get it done and
only to sell within the first 100 Hr of flight without even covering
their investement.

Before your RV-3 will outlive a bought one on basis of fatique, you will
need to log quite some hours over quite some years.

But nonetheless: good luck and all the best!

Tom De Moor
Old March 29th 10, 11:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:19:05 -0400, Voyager
wrote:

Stealth Pilot wrote:

Bob, truely, if you ask vans they will sell you the plans to scratch
build the RV3. the RV3B plans are $us120.
yes the RV3 is available as a kitbuild with those lovely anodised
parts. trouble is that anodising halves the fatigue life of the
components. as I explained to vans I'd rather scratch build.

Stealth Pilot

Yes, anodizing has a detrimental effect on fatigue life, but so does
corrosion. If you are sure that you will never have a corrosion problem
(the airplane is kept in a desert), the not anodizing is probably a good
way to go. However, if there is any reasonable chance of corrosion, I
would take my chances with anodizing.

https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/...hesis_SP05.pdf

http://corrosion-doctors.org/Forms-fatigue/fatigue.htm

alodining and paint for aviation longevity.
Old March 29th 10, 11:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 21:38:41 +0200, Tom De Moor
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I want it as my across australia transit machine. the performance it
gets out of an O-235 means that I can fly from one side of australia
to the other side in a long day's flying. I've been after a machine
with this capability for something like 10 years now.

Not wanting to spoile a party but if you have spent allready 10 years on
finding the RV-3, how many will you need building one from plans? Sadly
nobody is getting younger and very few of us get fitter in the process.

gee your post is a load of rampant pessimism.

I've been looking for a fast aeroplane for 10 years. trouble is that
most have absolutely deplorable flying characteristics.
Barnyard Bob did truely cause me to look at it just recently and I had
to agree with him. the RV3 is a little gem.

If a 1-day-Oz-transit machine is wanted, me thinks you should buy a
airline-ticket.

Van's are great, but the sheer amount of work equates to minimum 5 years
if all goes well (a plan build even longer), a major investement while
risking your mariage (when SWMBO finds out the RV-3 is single-seater).

who cares what the bloody wife thinks. I own a W8 Tailwind and in 10
years she has flown with me once.

Never imagine that because you don't count your time, the plane will be
'cheap' to make.

If you want to build, build. If you want to fly, buy.

Due to the actual economical climat good RVs go for less they cost to
make. Even a trip to the US, finding one and the aventure of getting
into Oz becomes interesting but not yearconsuming. Staggering is the
number of RVs people worked on for 5-10 years, finally get it done and
only to sell within the first 100 Hr of flight without even covering
their investement.

blah blah blah. how many people have you turned off building over the
years? must be quite a few now.
sadly your advise, the commonly held opinions of many who dont fly, is
********. I fly as a way of life. ...as a bum private pilot.
In the workshop is a J1B Auster under restoration, a Druine D31
Turbulent under construction, and I've been after a tin aeroplane to
build. The RV3 has what I'm looking for.

seriously, you want to get a life, go flying and stop the pandering of
bull**** advise. get active and get airborne.

Stealth Pilot

Old March 29th 10, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tom De Moor

In article ,
says...

wrote:

In article ,
says...

I want it as my across australia transit machine. the performance it
gets out of an O-235 means that I can fly from one side of australia
to the other side in a long day's flying. I've been after a machine
with this capability for something like 10 years now.

Not wanting to spoile a party but if you have spent allready 10 years on
finding the RV-3, how many will you need building one from plans? Sadly
nobody is getting younger and very few of us get fitter in the process.

gee your post is a load of rampant pessimism.

Sure... and how many thousands of projects are hiding in cellars or
posted on Fleebay? Or simply sold for scrap metal?

I've been looking for a fast aeroplane for 10 years. trouble is that
most have absolutely deplorable flying characteristics.

Psst : RV3 is around a fair bit longer.

Barnyard Bob did truely cause me to look at it just recently and I had
to agree with him. the RV3 is a little gem.

As there are others: Personal Cruiser is one of the more recent.

[...]

Not quite as much as there are projects 'on hold', 'under indefinite
construction', under 'lost interest', under 'I have to move house' or
'my wife says sell'.

sadly your advise, the commonly held opinions of many who dont fly, is
********. I fly as a way of life. ...as a bum private pilot.
In the workshop is a J1B Auster under restoration, a Druine D31
Turbulent under construction, and I've been after a tin aeroplane to
build. The RV3 has what I'm looking for.

Yep, you confirm your keyword 'under construction'.

Mine is 'finished' (and quite often 'sold and paid for'), yet my
workshop has some projects left from over enthousiastic persons who
don't seem capable of understanding what '1000 Hr of work' implies.

I used to make racecars *for a living* which like airplanes have a high
glamour factor. Few understand the -very basic- economics and planning
of them. It is no other with homebuilts.

seriously, you want to get a life, go flying and stop the pandering of
bull**** advise. get active and get airborne.

With all due respect: you don't even imagine how stupid you make
yourself look.

I leave you in your beliefs as one of my rules is that you may never
stop somebody who is going to make a bitter mistake as you would so rob
them of a lesson.

But still: all the best and that you may be right.

So long.

Tom De Moor

Old March 29th 10, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Stealth Pilot" wrote

So, with all this talk of RV's and such, I gotta ask. Why are you yearning
after one of those, when you have a sweet Tailwind sitting out there ready
to ride?

Faster? Less fuel? View?

Kinda makes me go Hummm? ;=)
--
Jim in NC

Old March 30th 10, 12:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 18:12:02 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Stealth Pilot" wrote

So, with all this talk of RV's and such, I gotta ask. Why are you yearning
after one of those, when you have a sweet Tailwind sitting out there ready
to ride?

Faster? Less fuel? View?

Kinda makes me go Hummm? ;=)

I really do have a Tailwind. it is 25 years old. wouldnt sell it for
quids. I think I told the last offer that I wouldnt trade it for 10
spitfires.

faster is the reason, and my long term goal was to build in each
style for the experience except that I may forgoe compost on the basis
of not wanting the allergies.

the need for speed is because of the remoteness of where I end up at
the end of the first day in the Tailwind. 8,000ft and the top cruise
speed of the RV3 (or for that matter a sunderland T18) would see me in
civilisation at the end of the day. that is what is driving the issue.

the fastest I can get my O-200 tailwind to cruise at is 124 knots and
that is with a freshly painted and balanced prop. I rather like the
old girl and really dont want to flog her to death trying to get a
faster cruise. I'd like to be flying the Tailwind at age 99 so I need
to nurse her along for the next 42 years. Time to build something I
can flog along in. The Auster isnt capable. The Turbulent isnt being
built for speed. An RV3 fits the bill and I dont think it would take
forever to build.

does that make sense?
Stealth Pilot
Old March 30th 10, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:01:29 +0200, Tom De Moor
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Tom I hope that someday soon you find that person who appreciates you
being their new mother. until then enjoy yourself :-)

we have people in australia who only think of finished projects and
decry all those unfinished projects in workshops. they understand so
little of the pleasure of pottering, working and having something like
an unfinished project full of hopes and dreams to look forward to.

my projects all get completed as I solve the hiccups that occasionally
stop them.

Stealth Pilot

whoelsale bose head phones,wireless head phones,wireless headphone,3.5mm earphone,earphone Alex[_4_] Aerobatics 0 April 21st 08 03:35 PM
Head on Maple1 Aviation Photos 1 August 3rd 07 06:02 AM
head set [email protected] Home Built 1 September 19th 06 02:27 PM
DOT head has got to go JJ Piloting 17 July 22nd 04 05:53 PM
Barnyard--- Auto engines Jerry Springer Home Built 10 August 8th 03 06:38 PM