Vacuum pump power source?

Old September 11th 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Terence Wilson

Default Vacuum pump power source?

Hello,

I was wondering how the primary vacuum is powered in a single engined
aircraft. If it was powered directly by the engine, a engine failure
would result in the immediate loss of attitude indicator and heading
indicator. So I guess most aircraft use an electrical pump that can be
driven by the alternator or battery, is this the case?

Thanks in advance,

Terence
Old September 11th 07, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
John Godwin[_2_]

Terence Wilson wrote in
:

So I guess most aircraft use an electrical pump that can be
driven by the alternator or battery, is this the case?

This is why they teach partial panel.
Old September 11th 07, 10:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
tscottme

In small "general aviation" type aircraft commonly built for decades, the
vacuum pump is engine driven through a mount on the engine. This vacuum
pumo typically drives the attitude indicator and directional gyro. Another
instrument called turn coordinator is typically a self-contained,
electrically-driven gyro. If the engine-driven vacuum pump fails pilots
learn how to fly with reference to the turn coordinator, compas, airspeed
indicators.

There is a section of the vacuump pump shaft that is designed to fail should
the vanes of the pump, or some other cause, cause the pump to seize. This
can protect the rest of the pump and/or prevent damage to the engine
accessory drive gears.

Owners/pilots that foresee a lot of flying by reference to instruments will
sometimes install an electrically-driven attitude indicator as a redundant
instrument to the vacuum driven indicator. There are devices some
owners/pilots install which can be used in an emergency which will tap into
the vacuum in the intake manifold of the engine and provide instrument
vacuum power.

--

Scott

"a community that allows a large number of young men to grow up in broken
homes, dominated by women, never acquiring any stable relationship to male
authority, never acquiring any rational expectation about the future - that
community asks for and gets chaos."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Old September 11th 07, 10:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Terence Wilson wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering how the primary vacuum is powered in a single engined
aircraft. If it was powered directly by the engine, a engine failure
would result in the immediate loss of attitude indicator and heading
indicator. So I guess most aircraft use an electrical pump that can be
driven by the alternator or battery, is this the case?

Somebody else has already explained the frailities of the vacuum system. So why
do we use it? Redundancy. If the electrical system takes a dump, you've still
got primary instruments along with the attitude indicator and directional
gyro... you've lost the lights, radios, and the turn coordinator. But you're
still able to keep the shiny side up without too much sweat.

If the vacuum system craps out, you've lost the attitude indicator and the
directional gyro. But you've still got the primary instruments to keep things
upright.

The chances of both systems failing on the same flight are much less than any
one system... and even there failure is an uncommon event. But as others have
noted, you can add redundant instruments and even backup sources.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old September 11th 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message

Somebody else has already explained the frailities of the vacuum system.
So why do we use it? Redundancy. If the electrical system takes a dump,
you've still got primary instruments along with the attitude indicator and
directional gyro... you've lost the lights, radios, and the turn
coordinator. But you're still able to keep the shiny side up without too
much sweat.

If the vacuum system craps out, you've lost the attitude indicator and the
directional gyro. But you've still got the primary instruments to keep
things upright.

The chances of both systems failing on the same flight are much less than
any one system... and even there failure is an uncommon event. But as
others have noted, you can add redundant instruments and even backup
sources.

Of course, the vacuum system is, IIRC, about 5-10 times more likely to "take
a dump".

One nice little gadget is an AH that has a battery backup completely
isolated from the standard electrical system.

Better yet is dual electrical systems that run off independant and isolated
electical buses.

Better still, is the above that runs of an AHRS, that has a MTBF of 30,000
hours as opposed to the vacuum system that typically has a MTBF of 28
minutes. :~)

Old September 11th 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Matt Barrow wrote:
The chances of both systems failing on the same flight are much less than
any one system... and even there failure is an uncommon event. But as
others have noted, you can add redundant instruments and even backup
sources.

Of course, the vacuum system is, IIRC, about 5-10 times more likely to "take
a dump".

While that may be, I've lost an attitude indicator once, a vacuum pump once, an
alternator once and a fan belt once. A limited history but it's running 50/50
in my book.

Of course, that means almost 2700 hours where nothing broke.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old September 11th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Most systems use a pump attached to the engine, which will
provide suction/pressure as long as the engine is turning.
Those pumps fail, their life is short and can be shorter if
abused during engine maintenance.
There are stand-by electric pumps and even engine manifold
sources are used in some installations. Many airplanes are
all electric [the new G1000's come to mind] and they have
redundant battery busses, generators and some also include
air driven gyros.

Old September 11th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Matt Barrow wrote:
The chances of both systems failing on the same flight are much less
than
any one system... and even there failure is an uncommon event. But as
others have noted, you can add redundant instruments and even backup
sources.

Of course, the vacuum system is, IIRC, about 5-10 times more likely to
"take
a dump".

While that may be, I've lost an attitude indicator once, a vacuum pump
once, an alternator once and a fan belt once. A limited history but it's
running 50/50 in my book.

How did you lose the AI?

Of course, that means almost 2700 hours where nothing broke.

Like the adage, "...hours of 'boredom' followed by minutes of stark terror".

Note, that losing the vac pump and the AI would have been of little
consequence with an AI with battery backup. My old bird had a EAI with
battary and the vac AI was my secondary. Also, dual alternators is becoming
the norm in the new generation aircraft.

Old September 12th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
john hawkins

What ever happened to the god old venturi. Sure they could ice up Hasn't
anyone come up with a heated venturi (other than placing it the exhaust
streram)?
I got my rating in an old cessan that ran off venturi. two big fog horn off
the left side Bjut they worked.

Old September 12th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"john hawkins" wrote in message
. net...
What ever happened to the god old venturi. Sure they could ice up Hasn't
anyone come up with a heated venturi (other than placing it the exhaust
streram)?
I got my rating in an old cessan that ran off venturi. two big fog horn
off the left side Bjut they worked.

And maybe a new, electronic buggy whip!

Vacuum pump STC gt Instrument Flight Rules 3 August 16th 06 01:42 AM
Vacuum pump STC gt Piloting 2 August 13th 06 06:44 PM
Wet vs Dry Vacuum Pump Fastglasair Owning 7 December 17th 04 11:46 PM
Wet vs Dry Vacuum Pump Fastglasair Home Built 1 December 15th 04 05:17 PM
Wet Vacuum Pump smackey Owning 6 February 24th 04 07:03 PM