Lightspeed does it again

Old October 4th 03, 05:40 AM
Jon Carlson

Not true. I just got my brand new Bose X headset on Wednesday, and
flew 3+ hours on Thursday. In the cockpit I had my existing pair of
Lightspeed 25XLs, which I have used for years. I was curious to do a
"real" side by side comparison, as you put it.

After wearing both for a while, I would say they are "different", and
I like some aspects of each. The Bose has good noise reduction, but
the sound that remains is in the low frequency range. The Lightspeeds,
when I would remove the Bose and put them on, seem a little louder but
the sound quality is different and I preferred it. I found it less
tiring than the sound quality that the Bose "lets through", even
though the Bose seems quantitatively quieter.

In addition, the physical features are different. The Bose is nice and
light, and I really like the mic boom - the Lightspeed has a short mic
boom that's always kind of bugged me. The Bose has less rotational
inertia as you turn your head back and forth just because the
Lightspeeds have those huge clunky earcups. But the Lightspeeds have
"cushier" ear cups and less clamping force. And they sit better on the
top of my head. I get a sore spot on the top of my head from the Bose
after a couple hours. Remember this is with a brand new set that I
just got yesterday, so yes, they have the new style head band
cushions....

After my 3 hours flying, I had a slight fatigue headache/tension,
which I attribute to the difference in the Bose headset - I can and
have flown for 6 hour legs with the Lightspeeds and never felt that
way.

Net result is I'm not at all sold on the Bose. I would like to be,
because my plane has builtin Bose connectors so I wouldn't have to
deal with batteries, and I like the size of the Bose, etc. I'm still
going to keep at least one set of the Bose because my wife doesn't
like Lightspeeds. I'd kind of like to get two. But if I don't like it,
I'm not going to, and I'm definitely not sold yet.

The bottom line is that headsets are like shoes - they all fit a
little different, and just because one fits you doesn't mean it's
going to fit me. This is why it's worth trying them even if your buddy
really likes brand XYZ. Just because he likes them doesn't mean you
will.

-Jon C.

"Stu Gotts" wrote in message

.... Anyway, if
anyone tells you that the Lightspeeds as good as Bose, they haven't
done a REAL side by side comparison.

Old October 4th 03, 11:40 AM
Jay Honeck

Forgot my Lightspeed Cross Country headset at home last week, so I
borrowed a buddy's DC. Don't know how anybody can wear that junk.
Clamps the head and terribly loud.

I'll second that motion.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 4th 03, 01:19 PM
Stu Gotts

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 23:31:42 -0400, "Victor J. Osborne, Jr."
wrote:

Ditto on the comparison. If you try both, you'll stay w/ the Bose X.

(The problem is the $1g each.)

Correct, and a main reason I decided to switch was the no-interest
payoff! Otherwise $2100 is a bit too much for a couple of headsets
that get 150 hours a year.
Old October 4th 03, 01:22 PM
Stu Gotts

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 04:40:34 GMT, "Jon Carlson" wrote:

Give it some time, you'll begin to appreciate the Bose as time goes
on, I did. Also, Lightspeed has a longer mike boom that is available.
Give them a call and get the particulars, but they'll need to install
it. Just another thing I changed on mine that required a return trip
to their fatherland.

[...]

.. .

Old October 4th 03, 03:09 PM
Thomas Borchert

Stu,

Anyway, if
anyone tells you that the Lightspeeds as good as Bose, they haven't
done a REAL side by side comparison.

or they have a different head shape, different comfort level, different
aircraft et cetera. Not to mention different wallet sizes.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 4th 03, 03:09 PM
Thomas Borchert

Newps,

Don't know how anybody can wear that junk.
Clamps the head and terribly loud.

and the real kicker are the prices.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 4th 03, 10:06 PM
Jon Carlson

Well.... The longer I was in the cockpit, the more it hurt. So I'm not
sure "give it some time" is going to make me like them. I have
experienced this before with friends' Bose sets, and was cautiously
optimistic that there were other issues and I'd end up liking Bose
this time. But I'm now pretty sure it's more about the shape of my
head versus whatever their headband does different that just doesn't
fit. C'est la vie, that's why we have choices.

-Jon C.

Old October 4th 03, 11:32 PM
Newps

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Newps,

Don't know how anybody can wear that junk.
Clamps the head and terribly loud.

and the real kicker are the prices.

Yeah, no kidding, the Lightspeed is less. I don't know how DC gives
that stuff away.

Old October 5th 03, 12:00 AM
Vic

Newps wrote in message news:54ofb.30894$%
Forgot my Lightspeed Cross Country headset at home last week, so I
borrowed a buddy's DC. Don't know how anybody can wear that junk.
Clamps the head and terribly loud.

For me, with my little pin head, they fall right off at a quick look
see, hurt my head cuz they pull on my ears even at the smallest
setting, etc. I love the lightspeeds. And the service i've
experienced has also been incredible; had an intermittent problem in
one side; then a teenager tripped and cracked them. Sent them in,
they sent them back all fixed, no charge. incredible. and the few
weeks while i couldn't use them, i was miserable. headaches on all
the trips from my el cheapo backup sets!

Vicci F
PPSEL
WI/IA/NC now NY (-: