Lightspeed does it again

Old October 7th 03, 08:03 AM
Thomas Borchert

Stu,

Common problem

With intercoms, not headsets.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 7th 03, 12:34 PM

: Have you ever had a problem with squelch noise when you use two different makes
: of headsets.
:

: that problem is caused by the intercom, not the headsets. Headset microphones
: vary. A decent intercom should and will take care of that. Mayn people cheap out
: on intercoms - and get what they pay for. Jay mentioned the magic words: "PS
: Engineering".

I would answer that with both yes and no. I had intercom issues
with my old David Clark Isocom that had a single squelch. I found a Telex
ProCom4 that had independent (adjustable!) squelch thresholds for each of
the four places, and when the squelch opened, it only opened the one that
spoke. While this does take care of differing mic sensitivities (I no
longer have to shout in my mic to open the squelch), it doesn't change the
different noise characteristics of different headsets. From the
lightspeed K/XL series I've used, some have adequate noise cancellation,
and others have pretty bad noise cancellation. I'm talking *mic* noise,
not headset noise. With two of my headsets, conversation is great, but
when one of the Lightspeed pipes in, the engine and wind noise coming
through the mic is irritatingly loud. Yet another reason I'm considering
the lightspeed QFR CrossCountry2.... better mic (tried one out).

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old October 7th 03, 03:45 PM
Thomas Borchert

I found a Telex
ProCom4 that had independent (adjustable!) squelch thresholds for each of
the four places,

What's really needed is a separate mic amplifier circuit for each station.
Don't know if the Telex has that. Also, some headsets have a little screw to
adjust mic gain. Careful experimentation with that might help, too.

I don't know of any users of PS Engineering intercoms having ever reported
problems of this kind. The intercom built into the Garmin audio panel takes
perfect care of different headsets, too, in my experience.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 7th 03, 04:56 PM

Thomas Borchert wrote:
: I found a Telex
: ProCom4 that had independent (adjustable!) squelch thresholds for each of
: the four places,
:

: What's really needed is a separate mic amplifier circuit for each station.
: Don't know if the Telex has that. Also, some headsets have a little screw to
: adjust mic gain. Careful experimentation with that might help, too.

The Telex does what you describe. It's the mic's problem, as it
has a very low signal-to-noise ratio... lets in too much ambient noise.

Old October 7th 03, 05:53 PM
Hankal

A decent intercom should and will take care of that. Mayn people cheap out
on intercoms - and get what they pay for. Jay mentioned the magic words: "PS
Engineering".

I do have the PS Engineering 1000.
Sure would like to have a quiet ride. My avionics shop cannot find anything
wrong with the radios.
Hank N1441P
Old October 8th 03, 04:06 AM
Daniel

Duane MacInnis wrote ...
... What do you do with guys like that.

You keep buying from them.

Coleman did that to me 25 years ago. My brother broke the latch on my
ice chest, so I called to order a replacement. When I asked how much,
they answered "Nothing. We don't make things that break." I own a
lot of Coleman stuff now.

Daniel
Old October 8th 03, 02:14 PM
Jay Honeck

I do have the PS Engineering 1000.
Sure would like to have a quiet ride. My avionics shop cannot find

anything
wrong with the radios.

Contact PS Engineering, Hank. In my experience, they are uncommonly helpful
with these kinds of things. (I worked with them for a while to "fix" the
automatic squelch that wasn't working quite right. Although the ultimate
solution was a new headset, they were very patient and customer service
oriented.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 8th 03, 02:25 PM
Thomas Borchert

Hankal,

not sure what your problem is (not sure if you described it here), but
have you contacted PSE?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 8th 03, 06:26 PM
Hankal

not sure what your problem is (not sure if you described it here), but
have you contacted PSE?

NO I have not since my avionics shop tells everything is fine. Maybe they think
it is in the radios.
You haapen to have a number for PSE?
Hank
Old October 8th 03, 09:48 PM