2 helicopters abandoned

Old November 17th 04, 02:49 AM
Micbloo

I think that the one you think is a Hiller is a Bell 47J Ranger or an H-13J.

Back in the early 80s one of the local
radio stations flew a number of 47s including this 47J model. Still listed
as
being active.

http://www.helispot.com/photos/03304.html
Old November 17th 04, 04:08 AM
Mike Th...

You guys are right. It was a Bell 47J, the registration was C-FAFK. The
previous owner sold it about a month and a half ago. (I know, he's my Ops
Manager). The aircraft was ferried up to Vernon BC, Where the new owner
took possession of it. And the rest is history.

"Bill Chernoff" wrote in message
From the Okanagan Saturday

PENTICTON -- Two helicopters abandoned on the Penticton Indian reserve
Thursday, less than a quarter of a mile apart, have triggered an
investigation by the RCMP, Canada Customs and Transport Canada.
"Yesterday,
I believe in the afternoon, there was two of our band members cutting wood
on the north portion of the reserve land base," said Penticton Indian band
Chief Stewart Phillip on Friday

A helicopter landed near the men, and the sole occupant jumped out with a
duffel bag. When he got closer to the men, the pilot apparently said,
"You're not my ride," and ran away

The men reported the incident to the tribal police, who called the RCMP

"The site was secured by the tribal police service, and this morning word
was put out to the relevant agencies," Phillip said

The tribal police were to wait by the helicopter until a Kelowna team was
flown in by helicopter

"They were a bit upset because the tribal police were not waiting by the
helicopter as agreed, but it turns out they were waiting by a second
helicopter, a short distance from the first." The helicopters were less
than
a quarter of a mile from each other, said Phillip, but both were hidden
from
view by small trees. One of the helicopter's rotors, likely from the tail
of
the aircraft, was broken from striking a tree

Though the pilots' identities are unknown, one of the helicopters has been
traced to Vernon, and the other to New Westminster

"I don't think there is any doubt this is drug related," said Phillip.
"Why
else would they be up there? They landed in a very concealed location." He
also pointed to a high level of interest by the various agencies -Canada
Customs and Transport Canada -- and the value of the helicopters as
indicators of the seriousness of the situation, suggesting a link to
organized crime

The aircraft are worth an estimated $1 million, and the band is working on
seizure notice under trespassing law

Phillip wonders if band members are involved, since the men who were
approached were natives

He said he thought long and hard about bringing the story forward to the
media. "When you live in the middle of a situation like this and more
details are coming forward each day, it becomes pretty intense," he said

He decided the public needed to be informed

"I just think we have to expose this and let all levels of government, the
RCMP and the public know it's a very serious problem that we are dealing
with," said Phillip, who is committed to cleaning up his community.

Old November 26th 04, 09:33 PM
bryan chaisone

"Bill Chernoff" wrote in message news:Mw9md.230259$%k.39590@pd7tw2no...
From the Okanagan Saturday

[...]

The aircraft are worth an estimated $1 million, and the band is working on a
seizure notice under trespassing law

Phillip wonders if band members are involved, since the men who were
approached were natives

He said he thought long and hard about bringing the story forward to the
media. "When you live in the middle of a situation like this and more
details are coming forward each day, it becomes pretty intense," he said

He decided the public needed to be informed

"I just think we have to expose this and let all levels of government, the
RCMP and the public know it's a very serious problem that we are dealing
with," said Phillip, who is committed to cleaning up his community.

So what's the latest scoop on this?

Bryan
Old November 27th 04, 08:43 AM
B Ghostrider

It has been reported the the owner of the Bell 47J has, through a
letter from his lawyer, requested that his helicopter be returned to
him. The Penticton Indian brand has stated that they do not have the
copter as it is in the poesion of the RCMP and transport Canada. The
owner has stated that his helicopter was only being "stored' on the
reserve until he got his pilots liecenesand is in no way conected to
the Drug trade.THe Penticton Indian band is interested in knowing
were he got promission to "store" the copter on Band land as the only
one that have the authority to give promission is the band counel and
there as been no requests made to them . The incident is still under
investigation by the RCMP and Transport Canada.
Old November 28th 04, 07:38 AM
bryan chaisone

B Ghostrider wrote in message . ..
It has been reported the the owner of the Bell 47J has, through a
letter from his lawyer, requested that his helicopter be returned to
him. The Penticton Indian brand has stated that they do not have the
copter as it is in the poesion of the RCMP and transport Canada. The
owner has stated that his helicopter was only being "stored' on the
reserve until he got his pilots liecenesand is in no way conected to
the Drug trade.THe Penticton Indian band is interested in knowing
were he got promission to "store" the copter on Band land as the only
one that have the authority to give promission is the band counel and
there as been no requests made to them . The incident is still under
investigation by the RCMP and Transport Canada.

Thanks, I'd be interested in more, if/when you know more.

Thanks again,
Bryan
Old December 12th 04, 12:47 AM
Micbloo

The
hellicopters were airlifted out yesterday.Not sure what type of Helo
was used to do the lift with. It looked to be a Bell 212 .

Why couldnt they fly out on their own?
Old December 14th 04, 03:44 AM
Micbloo

If memory serves, at least one of 'em had a tail rotor strike..

NOw THAT would make sense.