It was 62 years ago today...

Old December 8th 03, 03:32 AM
Jay Honeck

Default It was 62 years ago today...

The date that shall live in infamy...

A few toasts:

To my Father's generation, for saving the world...

To those of my Father's generation who paid the ultimate price for our
freedom...

To all those of my generation, who as a result were never born...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 8th 03, 05:25 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

The date that shall live in infamy...

..... was _yesterday_.

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".
Old December 8th 03, 06:01 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

.... was _yesterday_.

Whoops .... Just noticed that your date posted is in GMT.

Old December 8th 03, 07:28 PM
Martin Hotze

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 12:25:22 -0500, G.R. Patterson III wrote:

The date that shall live in infamy...

.... was _yesterday_.

what happened? (too lazy to put in on google)

#m
--
http://www.declareyourself.com/fyr_candidates.php
http://www.subterrane.com/bush.shtml
Old December 8th 03, 07:34 PM
Geoffrey Barnes

Let me guess... your history teachers in high school were just like mine,
and always ran into the end of the school year before they got to World War
II, right?

Old December 8th 03, 07:53 PM
Rob Perkins

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 19:28:05 GMT, Martin Hotze
wrote:

what happened? (too lazy to put in on google)

!!!!!!

Aside from 11 Sep 2001, 7 Dec 1941 counts as the largest-casualty
surprise attack on United States soil in all its history.

Almost 3000 people died when the Japanese, who (I'm told) thought that
a preemptive attack would cow the U.S., sank a goodly portion of the
fleet based at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, which shook the U.S. out of
protectionism and brought it into the second World War.

(Y'know, that tiny thing Germans don't study anymore?)

In short, the chain of events which freed Austria from Naziism started
that day, Martin.

Rob
Old December 8th 03, 08:05 PM
Martin Hotze

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 19:34:55 GMT, Geoffrey Barnes wrote:

Let me guess... your history teachers in high school were just like mine,
and always ran into the end of the school year before they got to World War
II, right?

*hmmm* still no clue ... well, *googling* ... oh. Pearl Harbor.
Hm, not that important of a date here in Europe and/but well known in the
US, I assume.

but to answer your question: no, we also came up to the 60s in the last
century.

#m

.. .

Old December 8th 03, 08:18 PM
David Brooks

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 19:34:55 GMT, Geoffrey Barnes wrote:

Let me guess... your history teachers in high school were just like mine,
and always ran into the end of the school year before they got to World

War
II, right?

*hmmm* still no clue ... well, *googling* ... oh. Pearl Harbor.
Hm, not that important of a date here in Europe and/but well known in the
US, I assume.

Concur. My generation in England knew about Pearl Harbor, but would have to
go to the reference books if someone asked us the date. That would then
provoke the usual "late for that war too" comment.

Now, how many American 20-somethings don't know the date?

-- David Brooks

Old December 8th 03, 09:03 PM
Martin Hotze

wrote:

what happened? (too lazy to put in on google)

!!!!!!

hu?

Aside from 11 Sep 2001, 7 Dec 1941 counts as the largest-casualty
surprise attack on United States soil in all its history.

So the date is important to whom? correct.

Almost 3000 people died when the Japanese, who (I'm told) thought that
a preemptive attack would cow the U.S., sank a goodly portion of the
fleet based at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, which shook the U.S. out of
protectionism and brought it into the second World War.

Hm, I don't have the details, but isn't there a stoy about the Japanese
ambassador to the USA being late delivering the declaration of war?

(Y'know, that tiny thing Germans don't study anymore?)

*hihi*

In short, the chain of events which freed Austria from Naziism started

^^^^^^^
that day, Martin.

^^^^^^^^

yes, very funny.

Rob

martin

Old December 8th 03, 09:06 PM
James Robinson

Rob Perkins wrote:

In short, the chain of events which freed Austria from Naziism
started that day, Martin.

Funny, I'd say the chain of events began two years earlier, when England
and France declared war on Germany after the invasion of Poland. The US
participation was simply a later link in that chain.