Driving *DAMMIT* To Kitty Hawk

Old December 9th 03, 10:32 PM
Jim Weir

Default Driving *DAMMIT* To Kitty Hawk

I'm sitting here watching it get darker and darker with each passing minute.
The storm that nobody saw sneaking down from the Gulf of Alaska is going to
bring snow as far south as Oklahoma City from Friday through Monday. Cloud tops
are supposed to be above 10K and most of the mountain ridges between me and the
flatlands of Kansas are going to be obscured.

I'm supposed to have to use the 4WD to get home tonight and until Saturday.

The 182 is a nice machine, but she doesn't fly worth a damn with a few hundred
pounds of ice tagging along for the ride. It is Baby Bronco time south to where
I can pick up I-40 in Barstow and then along the southern-southern route to
Kitty Hawk.

If any of you hear Gail or I on your local 2-meter repeater along I-40, we'd
sure appreciate a call. If not on the repeater, we'll be trying 52 simplex in
the blind.

Jim & Gail

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old December 9th 03, 11:01 PM
Jay Honeck

Sorry to hear it, Jim. That big 'ol storm is bearing down on us, too --
looks like it's going to be a big one. :-(

That's a LOOONG drive...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 10th 03, 12:55 AM
Mike Weller

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 14:32:24 -0800, Jim Weir wrote:

If any of you hear Gail or I on your local 2-meter repeater along I-40, we'd
sure appreciate a call. If not on the repeater, we'll be trying 52 simplex in
the blind.

I might be able to hear you on 123.45 Just kidding! I can
probably work you from here in Huntsville on 52, but it would be a lot
more fun to put an eyeball on you from 3000 feet talking on 52
simplex. If you'll E-mail me at with some
sort of time when you'll be going through Nashville, I'll see if we
can meet up.

It's so seldom that we get to talk to an honest politician around
here!

Mike Weller
N4TXJ

Jim & Gail

http://www.rst-engr.com

Old December 10th 03, 08:06 AM
Jim Weir

Well, now, I get home from teaching at midnight and find that the four and five
day progs have turned around. I am pretty sure that I can't get there via the
I-80 or the I-70 route, but the airplane route generally parallelling I-40 looks
passable (Albuquerque, Amarillo, OkCity, Nashville, etc.) either VFR or fairly
high temperature IFR. We'll see what we see come Thursday evening and Friday
morning. We may well fly it, but it is sure as green apples is going to be a
lot further south than we had anticipated.

Cross country at 150 mph beats the HELL out of groundpounding at 65.

And as for honest politician, I appreciate your kind words. It isn't that we
are all totally honest, but most of us have bidding prices FAR above anything
anybody is willing to pay {;-) (c.f. Bobby Kennedy and Jimmy Hoffa interchange
at the Senate hearings.)

Airborne or groundpound, it is still primarily 52 simplex.

Jim

Mike Weller

-

Old December 10th 03, 02:11 PM
Jim

4-5 inches of snow here and still coming down
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old December 10th 03, 02:40 PM
Frank

Jim Weir wrote:

I'm sitting here watching it get darker and darker with each passing
minute. The storm that nobody saw sneaking down from the Gulf of Alaska is
going to
bring snow as far south as Oklahoma City from Friday through Monday.
Cloud tops are supposed to be above 10K and most of the mountain ridges
between me and the flatlands of Kansas are going to be obscured.

I'm supposed to have to use the 4WD to get home tonight and until
Saturday.

The 182 is a nice machine, but she doesn't fly worth a damn with a few
hundred
pounds of ice tagging along for the ride. It is Baby Bronco time south to
where I can pick up I-40 in Barstow and then along the southern-southern
route to Kitty Hawk.

snip

Rain today, snow tomorrow. I had hoped Kitty Hawk would be my first big trip
with the new instrument rating but it's not to be, I'm only about half way
there.

Without an IR I just couldn't plan on flying myself out so I've hired a
professional (Continental) to take care of getting me to Norfolk. This time
of year the weather is just too bad too often to try it VFR and still get
back to work on Friday.

Coming from California is a long drive, I hope you don't run into other bad
weather along the way.
--
Frank....H
Old December 10th 03, 02:46 PM
Jay Honeck

4-5 inches of snow here and still coming down

Looks like we missed the worst of it again. It was above freezing all night
long, thank goodness -- it was a 35 degree deluge. Just to the northwest of
us, they weren't so lucky, and they got buried...

Now that the front has blown through, it's snowing like crazy -- but it
looks like it should be ending here shortly. If it had been just a couple
of degrees colder...

That's the second "whiff" in a row here -- our luck can't continue like this
forever.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 10th 03, 02:53 PM
Jay Masino

Does anyone know whether our illustrious president is planning on showing
up for the festivities, and thus, shutting down all aviation within a 30
mile radius of this wonderfull aviation event? Maybe everyone will be
driving!

-- Jay

__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/ ! ! !

Checkout http://www.oc-adolfos.com/
for the best Italian food in Ocean City, MD and...
Checkout http://www.brolow.com/ for authentic Blues music on Delmarva

Old December 10th 03, 03:43 PM
Peter R.

Jay Masino ) wrote:

Does anyone know whether our illustrious president is planning on showing
up for the festivities, and thus, shutting down all aviation within a 30
mile radius of this wonderfull aviation event?

LOL! Now that would be ironic.

--
Peter R.

Old December 10th 03, 04:05 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jim Weir wrote:

It is Baby Bronco time south to where
I can pick up I-40 in Barstow and then along the southern-southern route to
Kitty Hawk.

Now, *that's* dedication!

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".