LX7007 & "LX Compass module" - wind calc

Old October 14th 13, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pam Howarth

Default LX7007 & "LX Compass module" - wind calc

Does anyone have first hand experience of the LX7007 coupled to the "LX
Compass module"? Specifically at how good it is at calculating the wind
direction/speed?
By itself the LX7007 is less than convincing whilst the Oudie is quite
hopeless. As LX want £480 just for the "Compass module" I thought some
first hand feedback would be helpful?
The "money no object" solution seems to be the Butterfly vario, but again
there seems to be little pilot feedback on the web.

Old October 15th 13, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]

On Monday, October 14, 2013 2:59:33 PM UTC-4, Pam Howarth wrote:
Does anyone have first hand experience of the LX7007 coupled to the "LX

Compass module"? Specifically at how good it is at calculating the wind

direction/speed?

By itself the LX7007 is less than convincing whilst the Oudie is quite

hopeless. As LX want £480 just for the "Compass module" I thought some

first hand feedback would be helpful?

The "money no object" solution seems to be the Butterfly vario, but again

there seems to be little pilot feedback on the web.

The LX 7007 is the most cogent argument I have encountered against gun control, - although the collateral damage to the glider might be a balancing argument for elniency.

But, if the compass modue functions as well as my 'Most Reliable Partner in Glidng" flight computer did, find another solution. For me, it was and is the LX 8080.

It's fantastic. And, if I were to consider additional options, I would have faith they would work.
Old October 15th 13, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Whatever happened to what we old-timers used to call the "whiskey compass"?
Why would you have to buy a compass module for your flight computer when you
(should) have a simple, reliable, cheap magnetic compass on the panel?

And, assuming you have a GPS, doesn't ground track work well enough? Do you
really need magnetic heading? Don't forget to subtract variation
(declination for mon-military types). Oh, that's probably add variation if
you're in the eastern half of the world.

Old October 15th 13, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak

The compass module enables legacy LX Navigation devices to calculate
wind without having to circle. Different manufacturers use different
algorithms and hardware to come up with this data so not all need a
compass module.

Cheers,
Luke Szczepaniak

Old October 15th 13, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pam Howarth

Hmm...the whiskey (whisky) compass eh? Next you'll be saying why have a
flight director at all when a couple of pith balls worked so well? The
LX7007 requires you to fly a couple (or more) of nice concentric circles
before it can calculate the wind; few thermals, especially in the
mountains, seem to be nice round columns. You may also have noticed that
the whiskey compass (and yes I do have one) is pretty useless when banked
over in a thermal?
Real wind information is available (Butterfly Vario, Clearnav etc) and I
think it is valuable but it comes with a multi thousand Euro price tag so
upgrading my "old" (and perhaps not very reliable) technology is an
option.
Your "declination" & "variation" comments are a joke, yes?

Old October 15th 13, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_3_]

At 18:42 15 October 2013, Pam Howarth wrote:

(snip)
Real wind information is available (Butterfly Vario, Clearnav etc) and I

think it is valuable but it comes with a multi thousand Euro price tag so
upgrading my "old" (and perhaps not very reliable) technology is not an
option.
(/snip)

I haven't looked at Butterfly pricing, but the Clearnav vario (with instant
accurate wind and nav to home base) is only multi thousand Euro if the
multiplication factor is less than one. And (by user reports) is the best
vario on the market bar none.

Old October 16th 13, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:14:32 PM UTC-4, pete purdie wrote:
At 18:42 15 October 2013, Pam Howarth wrote:

(snip)

Real wind information is available (Butterfly Vario, Clearnav etc) and I

think it is valuable but it comes with a multi thousand Euro price tag so

upgrading my "old" (and perhaps not very reliable) technology is not an

option.

(/snip)

I haven't looked at Butterfly pricing, but the Clearnav vario (with instant

accurate wind and nav to home base) is only multi thousand Euro if the

multiplication factor is less than one. And (by user reports) is the best

vario on the market bar none.

' And (by user reports) is the best vario on the market bar none.'

That seems like a long stretch. Do you work for them?

The latest generation varios from Clearnav, LX, and Butterfly seem pretty comparable as a vario, the Butterfly has many more features than the others beyond the vario (and a price that reflects the features). I have not experienced how the others perform, but the Butterfly provides instantaneous wind (and I mean "instantaneous") and seems quite accurate.
Old October 16th 13, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I asked Steve Hill at Moriarty airport today and he told me that it was
useful for determining wind during essentially straight flight, as in ridge
or wave soaring. Luke also sent me a nice email with the same explanation
so I now understand.

Personally, I don't need to know the wind direction/speed when I can simply
change heading to achieve the effect I want. Also, I wouldn't know how to
use it efficiently in real time. As an Air Force student pilot I learned to
use the rusty, trusty E-6b computer to graphically calculate crab angles for
450 KTAS or thereabouts.

Now, having said the above, I recall folks asking me why I wanted an outside
air temperature gauge. I just wanted to know the temperature, so I also
understand folks wanting to know what the wind is doing.

I learned "variation", in the Air Force; my wife and I both learned
"declination" while working as radar systems engineers. Which is correct so
long as you know what you're talking about? Who cares?

Oh, yeah - reading my flight manual the other day I discovered that an OAT
gauge is mandatory in my glider when carrying water ballast. Go figure.

BTW, using the magnetic compass in a jet is considered an emergency
procedure. At least it was in the 70s...

Old October 16th 13, 10:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_3_]

At 23:30 15 October 2013, jfitch wrote:
On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:14:32 PM UTC-4, pete purdie wrote:

' And (by user reports) is the best vario on the market bar none.'

That seems like a long stretch. Do you work for them?=20

No, I don't work for them. But I do sell them, and all the other varios by
major manufacturers. I haven't met the same level of enthusiasm for
anything else. The difference seems to be that experienced pilots 'know'
what the air is doing, and a vario enhances that information. The ClearNav
vario seems to agree more closely with what a good pilot feels, and makes
centring and maximising climb more efficient. Likewise the instantaneous
wind appears highly accurate - a useful feature particularly flying in
mountains.

I was sufficiently convinced by the feedback that I bought one for my
glider with my own money, and agree with what my customers say.

Old October 16th 13, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Le mercredi 16 octobre 2013 05:36:56 UTC-4, pete purdie a écrit*:
[...]

Hi
It is unfortunate that the Flight Computer display is one large size only. A 70%screen,like the picture in the Soaring magazine advertisement, would fit my LS6panel. Any other option?
Regards
Gilles