T-Birds

Old September 7th 05, 01:42 AM
Big John

Default T-Birds

Following in 5 September 2005 AW&ST.

Two U.S. Air Force Thunderbird F-16s made contact during a
performance at Chicago Air and Water Show on Aug 21, prompting the
team's immediate landing. The #3 (right wing) and #4 (slot) aircraft
touched during the Diamond formation's pass-in-review, causing part of
a wingtip missile rail to break off one fighter (slot). There were no
injuries or significant damage. The contact was so minor that pilots
initially attributed the bump to turbulence. Practice flights were
resumed on Aug 23.

Un quote

Big John
Old September 7th 05, 02:55 PM
Gary

And they were back in fine (and LOUD) form last weekend at the
Cleveland Air Show. I had to take my 4 year old into the 737 that
was on static display to get away from the noise. It was very painful
for him, even with earplugs. Keep this in mind if you are bringing
kids to see them at an airshow.

- Gary

Old September 8th 05, 12:40 AM
Jay Honeck

And they were back in fine (and LOUD) form last weekend at the
Cleveland Air Show. I had to take my 4 year old into the 737 that
was on static display to get away from the noise. It was very painful
for him, even with earplugs. Keep this in mind if you are bringing
kids to see them at an airshow.

It's funny how different kids react to airshows.

We had friends whose 3-year old son screamed and cried the whole time the
Blue Angels were performing -- he HATED it.

Strangely, our kids (who have attended airshows since birth) reacted to the
same performances with excitement, and soon learned to plug their ears with
their fingers when the noise level got uncomfortable.

I don't know if that's because *we* acted excited (in a good way), so they
felt comfortable around it, or if it's just the difference between some kids
and others...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 8th 05, 02:44 AM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Strangely, our kids (who have attended airshows since birth) reacted to

the
same performances with excitement, and soon learned to plug their ears

with
their fingers when the noise level got uncomfortable.

I don't know if that's because *we* acted excited (in a good way), so they
felt comfortable around it, or if it's just the difference between some

kids
and others...

I had got a puppy, long ago, and at the time was riding a motorcycle,
perhaps 10,000 miles per year or more, with 3 to 6 hour trips not being
uncommon. I knew I needed my dog to be comfortable riding with me, on the
bike, or in the car.

As soon as she was firm on her feet, and had been with me for a few weeks to
build the trust and love between us, I started to get her ready for riding.
I started by taking her outside, and starting the bike, letting it warm up,
then I would rev it up and make a lot of noise, while praising her, and
giving an occasional treat. As she became used to it, I ramped it up,
putting her on the bike, then around the yard, then neighborhood, then
longer trips. As a recent education graduate, I used positive reinforcement
extensively, and she didn't mind any of it, and even began getting excited,
wanting to go for rides when I grabbed my helmet.

Moral of the story is, if young ones get used to something strange and scary
gradually, and associate it with positive (for them) experiences, they want
more, and bigger thrills. I expect that this is the key to Jay and family's
success in the whole aviation, airshow bit.

If you want to get kids to like something new, it _has_ to be associated
with something positive for them. Do the airport, loaded with liberal
helpings of candy, or whatever floats their boat. When that is routine, do
up close jets taking off, , or something of the like. You get the idea.
Maybe, loud stuff like firecrackers, or race cars; it doesn't have to be
aviation.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 9th 05, 01:21 AM
vincent p. norris

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 21:44:41 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

I had got a puppy, long ago, and at the time was riding a motorcycle,
perhaps 10,000 miles per year or more, with 3 to 6 hour trips not being
uncommon. I knew I needed my dog to be comfortable riding with me, on the
bike, or in the car.

How does a dog ride a bike? How does it keep from being thrown off?

As a recent education graduate, I used positive reinforcement
extensively....

I infer from that statement that you were taught to "use positive
redinforcement extensively."

Is that at least inpart responsible for the outrageous grade inflation
we see in the schools, including "elite" colleges?

As a college prof, I had many students who could not write
grammatical Egnlish. When I corected their errors, they protested
that their teachers had always told them there were good writers.

Naturally, they preferred to believe they were good writers, and that
I was being unfair to them. The teachers who lied to them, to "give
them positive reinforcement" did NOT do them any favors.

vince norris
Old September 9th 05, 03:24 AM
Big John

Gary

With over 5,000 hours in and around Jet Fighters I have lost all of my
high frequencies. In my day no one wore ear muffs but after the powers
that be saw the hearing loss problem they changed procedures and
mandated hearing protection..

When I was a Maintenance Officer we used to keep tail off and tie bird
down and make after-burner checks and adjustments. Standing a foot or
two from the A/B when running caused the whole body to vibrate in time
with the shock waves.

This all with the small jet engines we had then. Am sure it is worse
now with the big engines and A/B's.

Get some ear protection for the young ones so the can enjoy the
flying. Muffs used on the gun ranges are not expensive and work good.

Big John
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````

Old September 9th 05, 03:53 AM
john smith

Is that at least inpart responsible for the outrageous grade inflation
we see in the schools, including "elite" colleges?

Now you have hit on one of my pet peeves.
This could go OT very quickly!
I fully agree with you on this topic.
I started tracking the Honor and Merit rolls from our local newspaper
and plotting those numbers against the total class size for each of the
four middle schools in our system.
One school had 80% of its students with GPA's above 3.0!
Old September 9th 05, 03:56 AM
john smith

Get some ear protection for the young ones so the can enjoy the
flying. Muffs used on the gun ranges are not expensive and work good.

Take and use your headsets and intercom for "coolness" factor.
Old September 10th 05, 12:54 AM
vincent p. norris

One school had 80% of its students with GPA's above 3.0!

The WSJ reported, a decade or more ago, that Brown, or Stanford,
perhaps both, would permit a student to refuse to accept a grade lower
than B. He could take the course repeatedly until he got a B.

So 100% of the students could attain a GPA of 3.0 or higher.

vince norris
Old September 10th 05, 01:22 AM
Morgans

wrote:

I had got a puppy, long ago, and at the time was riding a motorcycle,
perhaps 10,000 miles per year or more, with 3 to 6 hour trips not being
uncommon. I knew I needed my dog to be comfortable riding with me, on

the
bike, or in the car.

How does a dog ride a bike? How does it keep from being thrown off?

I had a backpack, with an A-frame slot, that would fit right over the sissy
bar on the back seat. The dog sat in the backpack with a drawstring around
her neck, like a collar. All that was outside was her neck and head.
Still, she had enough room to turn around, look off the back and either
side, or to lie down. I caught her sleeping a few times, on longer trips.
I did get a lot of looks!

As a recent education graduate, I used positive reinforcement
extensively....

I infer from that statement that you were taught to "use positive
redinforcement extensively."

Yes, and no. In the psyc class, I just learned about it, and how it could
be used to advantage.

Is that at least inpart responsible for the outrageous grade inflation
we see in the schools, including "elite" colleges?

I don't think so.

As a college prof, I had many students who could not write
grammatical Egnlish. When I corected their errors, they protested
that their teachers had always told them there were good writers.

In the first place, if you take what they say as the truth, then, .....

Naturally, they preferred to believe they were good writers, and that
I was being unfair to them. The teachers who lied to them, to "give
them positive reinforcement" did NOT do them any favors.

I would not call being told they are good writers a use of positive
reinforcement, or a good thing to do, but it is possible they were never
told that. They will say anything to play you.

The use of pure positive reinforcement, in my opinion, is to shape behavior
to a desired outcome. If a teacher praises a student, saying that their
thoughts in a paper are good, but the application to a written paper needs
work, then that is shaping. Go on to fix the problems.

Positive reinforcement can be used to motivate students. It can be used to
improve behavior, and make the bad behaviors dissappear. Positive
reinforcement is best used in steps, as I did with my dog, to work toward
the outcome of not being afraid of bikes, or loud noises. Most importantly,
it can be used to teach obediance, as I did with this dog. She was said to
be the best behaved and smartest dog, by many people who had known her. She
was a real special dog, who I will always remember, that is for sure.

This could quickly go down the paths of "what is wrong with education," but
I don't want to take it there, so let's let it quit here.
--
Jim in NC

Freakn' Birds!! Jon Kraus Owning 6 June 27th 05 08:58 AM
Now the g*damned birds need transponders in the ADIZ R.L. Piloting 15 April 29th 05 10:49 PM
Monster birds attack planes ! Tom-Alex Soorhull Instrument Flight Rules 0 May 15th 04 03:46 AM
Mutated birds are better than planes Lester T. Linpord Naval Aviation 4 February 9th 04 11:29 AM
fatal bird strike StellaStar Piloting 9 July 13th 03 09:41 PM