RANS S-9 Chaos loses a wing

Old August 18th 10, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default RANS S-9 Chaos loses a wing

Video of wing failure via AVweb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a8cntPdRtk

RANS S-9 loses a wing in an airshow doing aerobatics; pilot survives
because plane is equipped with BRS and promptly deployed.

Natural to wonder whether some earlier stunt actually partially cracked the
spar.
Old August 18th 10, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
Video of wing failure via AVweb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a8cntPdRtk

RANS S-9 loses a wing in an airshow doing aerobatics; pilot survives
because plane is equipped with BRS and promptly deployed.

Fantastic to see a good end to a possibly terrible situation. Now I have to
wonder why all stunt pilots do not have a BRS chute. Seems like the best
way to save your life. The extra weight would be worth it, if you need it.

Natural to wonder whether some earlier stunt actually partially cracked
the
spar.

Yep. He was doing some pretty violent snaps right before that outside loop
started.

I wonder if he had a peak recording G meter. I think I would want one if I
was doing acro.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 18th 10, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Jim Logajan wrote:
Video of wing failure via AVweb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a8cntPdRtk

RANS S-9 loses a wing in an airshow doing aerobatics; pilot survives
because plane is equipped with BRS and promptly deployed.

Natural to wonder whether some earlier stunt actually partially
cracked the spar.

Here's the original video which includes footage left out of the AVweb
version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnHuIET4P2s
Old August 18th 10, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
Jim Logajan wrote:

Jim Logajan wrote:
Video of wing failure via AVweb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a8cntPdRtk

RANS S-9 loses a wing in an airshow doing aerobatics; pilot survives
because plane is equipped with BRS and promptly deployed.

Natural to wonder whether some earlier stunt actually partially
cracked the spar.

Here's the original video which includes footage left out of the AVweb
version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnHuIET4P2s

He was lucky! If the plane had developed more rotation in roll, he might
not have been able to deploy the BRS.

I remember looking at an S-9 under construction and did not like the
wing structural load paths through the fuselage. It would be interesting
to find out just what components failed and how much abuse the structure
had endured prior to the accident.

Old August 18th 10, 10:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
John Smith

Jim Logajan wrote:
Here's the original video which includes footage left out of the AVweb
version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnHuIET4P2s

If I recall correctly, then the the RANS-9 is limited to a load factor
of +6/-4 G. Considering the kind of aero that has been displayed, I
strongly suspect that those limits had routinely been exceeded.
Old August 18th 10, 11:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"John Smith" wrote

If I recall correctly, then the the RANS-9 is limited to a load factor of
+6/-4 G. Considering the kind of aero that has been displayed, I strongly
suspect that those limits had routinely been exceeded.

I was thinking the same thing.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 18th 10, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

On 8/17/2010 7:05 PM, Morgans wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
Video of wing failure via AVweb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a8cntPdRtk

RANS S-9 loses a wing in an airshow doing aerobatics; pilot survives
because plane is equipped with BRS and promptly deployed.

Fantastic to see a good end to a possibly terrible situation. Now I have to
wonder why all stunt pilots do not have a BRS chute. Seems like the best
way to save your life. The extra weight would be worth it, if you need it.

Natural to wonder whether some earlier stunt actually partially cracked
the
spar.

Yep. He was doing some pretty violent snaps right before that outside loop
started.

I wonder if he had a peak recording G meter. I think I would want one if I
was doing acro.

The push into an inverted loop ("bunt") is the prime opportunity for a
wing to fold, no doubt.

Brian W
Old August 18th 10, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
vaughn[_3_]

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
Jim Logajan wrote:
Video of wing failure via AVweb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a8cntPdRtk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnHuIET4P2s

It looks to me like the plane nearly flopped over on the canopy after landing.
Had that happened, the outcome would have been tragically different.

Anyhow, how could someone see that and not be sold on ballistic chutes? I was
amazed at how gentle the landing seemed to be.

Vaughn

Old August 18th 10, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Tom De Moor

In article ,
lid says...

Anyhow, how could someone see that and not be sold on ballistic chutes? I was
amazed at how gentle the landing seemed to be.

I would prefer the plane not to break up...

Tom De Moor

FAA falling further into chaos TheTruth[_2_] Piloting 2 March 12th 08 06:05 AM
Batavia Air 737 loses wing segment in flight BernieFlyer[_2_] Piloting 2 November 25th 07 10:05 AM
FAA Chaos MyCoxaFallen Piloting 12 June 6th 05 04:54 PM
DC Chaos, 9/11 and other assorted FAA diasters MyCoxaFallen Instrument Flight Rules 0 June 2nd 05 06:23 PM