A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

SPOT 3 now reporting altitude?

Old May 7th 17, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

Default SPOT 3 now reporting altitude?

I noticed my trace from spot 3 yesterday had altitude included. When did that start happening?

Matt
Old May 8th 17, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 7:35:00 AM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
I noticed my trace from spot 3 yesterday had altitude included. When did that start happening?

Matt

I think you'll find the data you are looking at is the height of the ground where you flew, which Spot has had inits Web UI forever, maybe you never noticed it before. No spot system transmits altitude data, and the current message format used does not have space for such data.
Old May 8th 17, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 4:04:22 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:

Matt

I think you'll find the data you are looking at is the height of the ground where you flew, which Spot has had inits Web UI forever, maybe you never noticed it before. No spot system transmits altitude data, and the current message format used does not have space for such data.

I took a screenshot of the SSA sailplane tracker, and it sure looks like altitude to me. I see altitude gain at specific points (Williams airport, actually) where I thermal and gained about 3000ft over flat terrain. That is reflected in my spot trace. Check out my Saturday flight out of Williams.

Matt

Old May 8th 17, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 8:01:46 AM UTC-6, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:

Matt

I took a screenshot of the SSA sailplane tracker, and it sure looks like altitude to me. I see altitude gain at specific points (Williams airport, actually) where I thermal and gained about 3000ft over flat terrain. That is reflected in my spot trace. Check out my Saturday flight out of Williams.

Matt

Matt - Why don't you contact SPOT to see what they have to say? Perhaps they can tell you exactly "what" is going on...Thx - Renny
Old May 8th 17, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 7:08:23 AM UTC-7, Renny wrote:
On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 8:01:46 AM UTC-6, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:

Matt

Matt

Matt - Why don't you contact SPOT to see what they have to say? Perhaps they can tell you exactly "what" is going on...Thx - Renny

Already in process.

Old May 8th 17, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

Matt

Here is a link to my SSA trace from Saturday showing altitude:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0altitude.jpeg
Old May 8th 17, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 11:01:31 AM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:

Matt

You landed a few times?
Jim
Old May 9th 17, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 3:16:58 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:

Matt

You landed a few times?
Jim

I am noticing the same type of broken altitude trace from other spot owners. So looks like spot indeed starting to report altitude somehow, at least partially. I'll be curious to hear what you find out.

Ramy
Old May 9th 17, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 3:16:58 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:

Matt

You landed a few times?
Jim

Yes, almost. Some extremely radical sink, but fortunately each time, I encountered some amazing lift just afterward. 2-3 turns and I was back to the same altitude...
Old May 9th 17, 06:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Deane[_2_]
external usenet poster

My flight on Saturday looked the same but only on the GPAero site. My SPOT traking page reports no altitude info.

Some reasonably accurate altitudes except when the altitude doesnt show up.

2T