SPOT 3 now reporting altitude?

Old May 7th 17, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default SPOT 3 now reporting altitude?

I noticed my trace from spot 3 yesterday had altitude included. When did that start happening?

Matt
Old May 8th 17, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 7:35:00 AM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
I noticed my trace from spot 3 yesterday had altitude included. When did that start happening?

Matt

I think you'll find the data you are looking at is the height of the ground where you flew, which Spot has had inits Web UI forever, maybe you never noticed it before. No spot system transmits altitude data, and the current message format used does not have space for such data.
Old May 8th 17, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 4:04:22 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 7:35:00 AM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
I noticed my trace from spot 3 yesterday had altitude included. When did that start happening?

Matt

I think you'll find the data you are looking at is the height of the ground where you flew, which Spot has had inits Web UI forever, maybe you never noticed it before. No spot system transmits altitude data, and the current message format used does not have space for such data.

I took a screenshot of the SSA sailplane tracker, and it sure looks like altitude to me. I see altitude gain at specific points (Williams airport, actually) where I thermal and gained about 3000ft over flat terrain. That is reflected in my spot trace. Check out my Saturday flight out of Williams.

Matt

Old May 8th 17, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 8:01:46 AM UTC-6, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
[...]

Matt - Why don't you contact SPOT to see what they have to say? Perhaps they can tell you exactly "what" is going on...Thx - Renny

Old May 8th 17, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 7:35:00 AM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
I noticed my trace from spot 3 yesterday had altitude included. When did that start happening?

Matt

Here is a link to my SSA trace from Saturday showing altitude:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0altitude.jpeg
Old May 8th 17, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 11:01:31 AM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 7:35:00 AM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
I noticed my trace from spot 3 yesterday had altitude included. When did that start happening?

Matt

Here is a link to my SSA trace from Saturday showing altitude:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0altitude.jpeg

You landed a few times?
Jim
Old May 9th 17, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 3:16:58 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 11:01:31 AM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 7:35:00 AM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
I noticed my trace from spot 3 yesterday had altitude included. When did that start happening?

Matt

Here is a link to my SSA trace from Saturday showing altitude:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0altitude.jpeg

You landed a few times?
Jim

I am noticing the same type of broken altitude trace from other spot owners. So looks like spot indeed starting to report altitude somehow, at least partially. I'll be curious to hear what you find out.

Ramy
Old May 9th 17, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 3:16:58 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 11:01:31 AM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 7:35:00 AM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
I noticed my trace from spot 3 yesterday had altitude included. When did that start happening?

Matt

Here is a link to my SSA trace from Saturday showing altitude:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0altitude.jpeg

You landed a few times?
Jim

Yes, almost. Some extremely radical sink, but fortunately each time, I encountered some amazing lift just afterward. 2-3 turns and I was back to the same altitude...
Old May 9th 17, 06:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Deane[_2_]

My flight on Saturday looked the same but only on the GPAero site. My SPOT traking page reports no altitude info.

Some reasonably accurate altitudes except when the altitude doesnt show up.

2T