WX Works setup

Old December 6th 03, 07:33 AM
JerryK

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "JerryK" said:
If I'm reading the pictures correctly, I think that rather than

attempting
to engineer a DC supply for the WX Works reciever that works directly

off
the ships power, he's run the ships power into the inverter and plugged
the WXWorx "wall wart" power supply into that.

I am pretty sure the WxWrox unit runs on DC power. At least the one in

my

Yes, that's why he has a 9 volt DC power supply plugged into the inverter.

As I said already.

But wait, he is going from 12 or 24 volts DC to 120 volts AC to 9 volts DC?
That just does not make sense. Go to Rat shack and get a universal voltage
convertor or build one yourself. Why go to AC?

Old December 6th 03, 12:59 PM
Nathan Young

(Paul Tomblin) wrote in message ...
I can't remember if I posted this before. A guy in my club made a nice
little package for his WX Works setup. You can see some pictures at
http://xcski.com/gallery/wxworks

Before everyone freaks out - he's got a bunch of stuff in there that
you do not need for aircraft only operations. Like the Rat Shack 9V
AC-DC regulator, and the DC-AC Inverter.

-Nathan
Old December 6th 03, 02:47 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, (Nathan Young) said:
(Paul Tomblin) wrote in message
I can't remember if I posted this before. A guy in my club made a nice
little package for his WX Works setup. You can see some pictures at
http://xcski.com/gallery/wxworks

Before everyone freaks out - he's got a bunch of stuff in there that
you do not need for aircraft only operations. Like the Rat Shack 9V
AC-DC regulator, and the DC-AC Inverter.

You will note from the captions on the pictures that he's also got it set
up so he can plug it into the wall when he is on the ground. I'm not sure
why he has the Inverter, I'll ask him. I do know that one of his goals
was not to cut anything up (which is why he's got long coils of wire) so
he can take it out of the box and have it as good as new (and maybe resell
it).

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Information moves, or we move to it. Moving to it has rarely been
Old December 6th 03, 06:47 PM
ET

(Paul Tomblin) wrote in
:

In a previous article, ET said:
What the H@(( is it???? can someone point me to a primmer??? I googled
for pages & pages with no understanding.

What are you asking? What WXWorx is? It's a XM satellite radio
system that lets you get real time weather in the cockpit.

http://www.wxworx.com/

Well THAT explains it.... searching for WxWorKS ... comes up with some
kind of computer language/hardware/etc..... WxWorX .... that explains it
completely.....

It's funny, .. the net nazie that corrected my spelling of primer with
primmer, didn't catch the mispelling in the original post that would
have obviously led me in the right direction....

Thanks

--
-- please note all spelling and grametical errors are propusely
insterted to drive net-nasi's crazy.... if it bothers you, go re-

ET

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old December 6th 03, 06:48 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, ET said:
What are you asking? What WXWorx is? It's a XM satellite radio
system that lets you get real time weather in the cockpit.

http://www.wxworx.com/

Well THAT explains it.... searching for WxWorKS ... comes up with some
kind of computer language/hardware/etc..... WxWorX .... that explains it
completely.....

Yeah, I didn't look too carefully at the captions of the pictures before
posting. Sorry about that.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Violence, rude language, excessive drinking, paganism. It's hard to
Old December 6th 03, 06:53 PM
ET

"plumb bob" wrote in

"ET" wrote in message
(Paul Tomblin) wrote in
:

In a previous article, "JerryK" said:
If I'm reading the pictures correctly, I think that rather than
attempting to engineer a DC supply for the WX Works reciever that
works directly off the ships power, he's run the ships power into
the inverter and plugged the WXWorx "wall wart" power supply into
that.
I am pretty sure the WxWrox unit runs on DC power. At least the
one in my

Yes, that's why he has a 9 volt DC power supply plugged into the
inverter.

As I said already.

What the H@(( is it???? can someone point me to a primmer??? I
googled for pages & pages with no understanding.

"primmer"??? Not "primer" either... the net police :-)

Main Entry: 2prim
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): prim·mer; prim·mest
Date: 1709
1 a : stiffly formal and proper : DECOROUS b : PRUDISH
2 : NEAT, TRIM prim hedges
- prim·ly adverb
- prim·ness noun

--
ET (avaition newbie....)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

prim·er

n.

1) An elementary textbook for teaching children to read.
2) A book that covers the basic elements of a subject.

Obviously I was meaning primer.... with definition number 2....

Now go dust off your toilet paper roll collection.... and I think one of
them is out of place....

Old December 8th 03, 04:23 AM
Nathan Young

(Nathan Young) said:
(Paul Tomblin) wrote in message
I can't remember if I posted this before. A guy in my club made a nice
little package for his WX Works setup. You can see some pictures at
http://xcski.com/gallery/wxworks

Before everyone freaks out - he's got a bunch of stuff in there that
you do not need for aircraft only operations. Like the Rat Shack 9V
AC-DC regulator, and the DC-AC Inverter.

You will note from the captions on the pictures that he's also got it set
up so he can plug it into the wall when he is on the ground. I'm not sure
why he has the Inverter, I'll ask him.

A lot of laptops take 16VDC as their power source, something not
readily available in the plane - so perhaps he is using the inverter
to power the AC-DC converter that powers the laptop? Sounds a bit
cumbersome, but it would work, and is more readily available than
finding a 12V-16V DC switcher.

-Nathan