First country to use airplanes as bombers?

Old June 10th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default First country to use airplanes as bombers?

What country first bombed its enemy using airpanes? Describe the bombs.
What year was it? Who was the enemy?

Old June 10th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

WaltBJ wrote:
What country first bombed its enemy using airpanes? Describe the
bombs. What year was it? Who was the enemy?

I'm sure it was the Germans, I've got some drawings on the back of an
envelope that proves it.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old June 10th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

WaltBJ wrote:

What country first bombed its enemy using airpanes? Describe the bombs.
What year was it? Who was the enemy?

Supposedly it was the Italians, sometime in 1912, against the Ottomans
in one of the various & sundry Balkan Wars of the time.

There are also reports of one or more or the Various Mexican
Rebel/Government Armies (Villa perhaps, or Carranza) (They had this Even
Day/Odd Day Government/Rebel thing going on) using dynamite dropped from
airplanes at about the same time.

--
Pete Stickney
Without data, all you have is an opinion
Old June 10th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

What country first bombed its enemy using airpanes? Describe the bombs.
What year was it? Who was the enemy?

I vaguely recall reading long ago that it took place before WW I, in a
small dustup in the middle east. Can't recall any details.

vince norris
Old June 11th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Andrew Robert Breen wrote:
In article .com,
WaltBJ wrote:

What country first bombed its enemy using airpanes? Describe the bombs.
What year was it? Who was the enemy?

Italy, I believe. 1912, during the war with Turkey. Bombs were probably
improvised from light-calibre shells - though I'd have to go and hunt
references to be sure.

My sources confirm Andrew's.
Dates are 1911 - 12,

Italy v Turkey -fighting for posssession of what is now Libya

"bombs were tossed from the cockpits of biplanes onto recalcitrant
Muslim tribesmen (some thing seem to remain constant in life, don't
they!), the pilots having first pulled the pins with their teeth."

I'm not sure about the last bit, though. Having thrown a few hand
grenades in my time - I assume that's what they were using - I've yet to
meet anyone daft enough to pull the pin out with their teeth. I wonder
what time fuze setting they used?

Ricardo
--
"Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice, and fear, walk hand in hand ..."
Old June 11th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Ricardo wrote:
Andrew Robert Breen wrote:
In article .com,
WaltBJ wrote:

[...]

Pretty Sharp! Italy in Libya, 1911-1912, using glass jars full of
nitro-glycerine. Very simple, no fuzing needed, but in the end rather
ineffective because all they did was move sand around. Besides being
about as hazardous to employ as it can get. I doubt if any were brought
back home . . .
Walt BJ

Old June 13th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

What country first bombed its enemy using airpanes?

If "airpanes" == "windows", as in Microsoft Windows, then the answer would
have to be the U.S.

oups.com...

Old June 15th 06, 09:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

"Ricardo" == Ricardo writes:

Ricardo I'm not sure about the last bit, though. Having thrown a
Ricardo few hand grenades in my time - I assume that's what they
Ricardo were using - I've yet to meet anyone daft enough to pull
Ricardo the pin out with their teeth.

Ah, but daft enough to pilot really early planes lol

--
G Hassenpflug * IJN & JMSDF equipment/history fan