GPS Question.... Yet Again

Old March 16th 05, 02:38 AM
Dave

Hi Mike!

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:51:10 -0800, Mike 'Flyin'8'
wrote:

Dave,

Thanks for your input! So if I mount the AM1000 on the Yoke, it does
not block any of the instruments in the cockpit?

I am 5' 9" , partner is 6'4". He says no, the knob on the mount
blocks the 0 -800 RPM portion of the tach for me if I sit perfectly
straight..shift my head to the right an inch or two, and my answer is
no as well...

When you turn the Yoke, does the AM1000 stay vertically aligned, or
does it turn with the yoke?

It turns with the yoke..

Since the AM500 and AM1000 are pretty much the same unit (Except for
size) Is the extra $200 a good trade off for screen size?

Yes, absolutely for us...

I have not
seen either of these units in person so I am not sure how dramatic the
difference on the screen is... I drew out two boxes that are the exact
size of the units, and the AM1000 is quite a bit bigger... I am
certainly leaning toward either the AM500 or AM1000, but trying to
justify the money in my head... If the AM500 does exactly what I
want, and the screen/button size is usable then I would be happy. If
however, the buttons are too small to be easily used during flight,
then I would be very disappointed. My currrent solution is jsut not
working... The PDA using GPS software and a CF card. It is just not
practical. How the heck am I supposed to use the little stylus during
flight... :-)

I don't know either... the AM 1000 has large widely spaced buttons,
easily reached with your thumbs while firmly holding the yoke.

We tried several, and the most difficult was a Garmin 196 mounted at
arms length in the center of the panel. OK on the ground, but in rough
air, just try to push a small (correct) button at arms length with
you (and your hand) moving opposite to the panel in rough conditions.

Obviously you thought the cost was worth the extra size on the
screen... I am just afraid the size of the unit would block some of
my view in the cockpit.

As above, not an issue with us on our 1974 "M" model

What about using this AirMap 1000 on a
suction cup mount connected to the lower left side of the front
windscreen? Workable?

Yes, should work OK, but when it gets bumpy, having your
thumbs/hands/buttons/GPS and yoke locked together takes the pain out
of the operation..

..
We REALLY happy with the AM..But that is just us, YMMV!

Good luck..

Happy to answer any other ???? U may have...

As you may guess by now, we tried several (in other 172's) and we
shopped hard

Dave

Old March 16th 05, 03:01 AM
Mike 'Flyin'8'

Thanks Dave. Appreciate your input. I actually placed the order for
the AM1000 today. I will first try the Yoke Mount as suggested and if
it becomes a distraction I will get one of those suction cup mounts
for the windscreen. I think I will like the yoke mount, however, I am
not so sure I will like the GPS turning with the yoke, that may be the
gotcha for me...

.
We REALLY happy with the AM..But that is just us, YMMV!

Good luck..

Happy to answer any other ???? U may have...

As you may guess by now, we tried several (in other 172's) and we
shopped hard

Dave

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com
Old March 16th 05, 08:48 AM
Thomas Borchert

Mike,

I will get one of those suction cup mounts
for the windscreen.

You'll be pulling it out of the carton the AM1000 came in - it's
included.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old March 16th 05, 02:03 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Mike 'Flyin'8' wrote:

I am not following your comment...

I do not have a plane or a GPS. I am in the market for a GPS and came
across a good deal on the Airmap 1000.

Wasn't meant for usenet, sent a kill request in its regard, that wasn't
honored by the ISP...
Old March 16th 05, 05:55 PM
Montblack

("Darrel Toepfer" wrote)
Wasn't meant for usenet, sent a kill request in its regard, that wasn't
honored by the ISP...

If it was an "unsend" "unsend" that got away from you, how does a kill
request work? Have many people used this service/feature?

ISTM that a kill request would need to be sent AND processed in the blink of
an eye for it to catch an "unsend" "unsend."

My posts mostly show up, back on my machine, rather quickly after I send
them. Sometimes not so quick. Once in a while it's almost instantaneous.
Sync All ..."wow, there's my post." That's rare, but it happens.

Montblack

Old March 16th 05, 06:46 PM
Peter Duniho

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Darrel Toepfer" wrote)
Wasn't meant for usenet, sent a kill request in its regard, that wasn't
honored by the ISP...

If it was an "unsend" "unsend" that got away from you, how does a kill
request work? Have many people used this service/feature?

ISTM that a kill request would need to be sent AND processed in the blink
of
an eye for it to catch an "unsend" "unsend."

Usenet supports a device known as a "cancel post". It's similar to the
original post, but includes information telling the receiving server to
remove the original post. Yes, when it's used there's a brief period during
which the original post is still visible, until the cancel post catches up
to it. But once the cancel post has made it to the same servers that the
original post made it to, the original post disappears.

At least, that's the theory. In reality, Usenet has no security or
authentication protocols, and cancel posts are (were) regularly abused. A
person with a grudge or who disagreed with another person's viewpoint would
post a fraudulent cancel post, to remove that other person's post. It used
to be that there were so few users on Usenet that the few instances where
cancel posts were abused could be easily dealt with. But that hasn't been
true in a long time, and most ISPs simply ignore cancel posts altogether.

So, Darrel presumably tried to send a cancel post, but since nearly all ISPs
simply don't honor them anymore, it had no effect. It's possible that you
would have still seen the original post, even if it did have an effect,
depending on when he sent the original, when he sent the cancel, and when
you checked the latest messages on your news server. But in reality, it's
unusual these days for a cancel post to have any effect anywhere.

Pete

Old March 16th 05, 11:20 PM
Dave

As Tom says, "it's in the box"..

And it's a good one.. NOTHING chincy about the "RAM"
mounts...

Would really be interested in your impressions about the
unit when you get it.

The manual is one of the best I have seen as well...

Dave

Mike,

Old March 17th 05, 12:32 AM
Mike 'Flyin'8'

When I get a chance to play around with it I will post a PIREP and
note my first impressions... Should be quite entertaining....

Thanks for everyone's input, very much appreciated!!

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:20:36 -0400, Dave
wrote:

As Tom says, "it's in the box"..

And it's a good one.. NOTHING chincy about the "RAM"
mounts...

Would really be interested in your impressions about the
unit when you get it.

The manual is one of the best I have seen as well...

Dave

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:48:31 +0100, Thomas Borchert

Mike,

Old March 18th 05, 04:21 AM
Darrel Toepfer

Montblack wrote:

("Darrel Toepfer" wrote)

Wasn't meant for usenet, sent a kill request in its regard, that wasn't
honored by the ISP...

If it was an "unsend" "unsend" that got away from you, how does a kill
request work? Have many people used this service/feature?

It removed it from the ISP server, but not fast enough for the rest of
the world...

Just does... Its typically a part of the newsreader...

ISTM that a kill request would need to be sent AND processed in the
blink of an eye for it to catch an "unsend" "unsend."

Apparently...