New Lycoming cylinder

Old August 31st 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default New Lycoming cylinder

I just replaced a cylnider in my IO-360 with a new cylinder kit from
Lycoming. Where can I find the service instructions on how to
correctly break the cylinder in?

Old August 31st 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/cgi-...k+in+procedure

A new nitride cylinder will break in fast. Keep your power high, don't baby
it. Straight mineral oil.

Jim

oups.com...

Old August 31st 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Aug 31, 11:02 am, "Jim Burns" wrote:
http://www.lycoming.textron.com/cgi-...=break+in+proc...

A new nitride cylinder will break in fast. Keep your power high, don't baby
it. Straight mineral oil.

Now the A&P is saying that mineral oil is out-dated and that modern
synth oils are better for break in than mineral oil.

Old August 31st 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

Interesting.
I'd call Lycoming on that before I'd let anybody try synthetic oil in my new
cylinder. It's my understanding that the reason straight mineral oil is
used for break in is that it does not contain detergents, adjuvant, or
anti-wear agents. Mineral oil will allow the proper amount of heat,
friction, and pressure to develop in the cylinder necessary to allow your
rings to set properly, without suspending particles and forcing them back
through your new cylinder. Unless somebody has developed a special
synthetic oil designed for break-ins, I would think that a synthetic oil
would contain these undesirable agents. I would also suspect a synthetic as
well as being "too slippery" or capable of removing too much heat,
preventing the rings from setting properly.

What brand/type of oil is your A&P recommending? Any supporting info from
the manufacturer? Lycoming?

Old August 31st 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Jim Burns" wrote:

A new nitride cylinder will break in fast. Keep your power high, don't baby
it.

Right.

And keep it cool so it won't glaze. Full rich or close to it, cowl flaps wide
open.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old August 31st 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Aug 31, 2:49 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:
"Jim Burns" wrote:
A new nitride cylinder will break in fast. Keep your power high, don't baby
it.

Right.

And keep it cool so it won't glaze. Full rich or close to it, cowl flaps wide
open.

Actually my concern is not getting it hot. My engine CHT's run about
290-300F in the winter and 360-380 in the summer in cruise. I'm afraid
that won't be enough to get a good seating.

Old August 31st 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

If I remember, you're non-turbo'd, right? Fly below 6000ft density alt and
you should be able to develop 65-75% power at full throttle, high RPMs, and
a nearly full rich mixture. This should seat the rings just fine. It's the
pressure in the cylinder forcing the rings outward that seats them. Keep
the head cool so your new valve seats don't wander.

Old September 1st 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

And keep it cool so it won't glaze. Full rich or close to it, cowl flaps
wide
open.

Actually my concern is not getting it hot. My engine CHT's run about
290-300F in the winter and 360-380 in the summer in cruise. I'm afraid
that won't be enough to get a good seating.

Heat is NOT what seats the rings. Simple wear does it.

Keep your new cyl. cool or it'll glaze and you'll have to have it re-hatched.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old September 1st 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Dan Luke" wrote

Heat is NOT what seats the rings. Simple wear does it.

Keep your new cyl. cool or it'll glaze and you'll have to have it
re-hatched.

But what I read says pressure is what does it, and letting the engine get
too cool is very bad, too.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 1st 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message oups.com...
I just replaced a cylnider in my IO-360 with a new cylinder kit from
Lycoming. Where can I find the service instructions on how to
correctly break the cylinder in?

http://www.lycoming.com/support/publ...fs/SI1427B.pdf

http://www.lycoming.com/support/publ...fs/SI1014M.pdf
(see specifically bottom of page 2)