Clubs Still Flying List

Old March 30th 20, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Default Clubs Still Flying List

HiBob:
Maybe we could all pitch in and buy the owner a dog? That might bring him around. Cheaper than buying the airfield.

One of the fun parts of gliding competition is re-visiting all of the dogs. Frank / Jayne at BH had Magnum (a huge mastif sadly gone now I think), John G & Sandra D have a herd of 4 terriers, Dave Springford has Kiley, John Murry has Dixie & another, etc. We all get to know the dogs as well as the owners. Maybe there should be an article on "Soaring Dogs"?

Sorry about the liberal invasion of Florida, but I think it's not just liberals. I understand that all of the conservatives in NYC have fled the city too. . . both of them in one car. :-)

All the best

ROY

Old March 30th 20, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 8:05:19 AM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
HiBob:
Maybe we could all pitch in and buy the owner a dog? That might bring him around. Cheaper than buying the airfield.

One of the fun parts of gliding competition is re-visiting all of the dogs. Frank / Jayne at BH had Magnum (a huge mastif sadly gone now I think), John G & Sandra D have a herd of 4 terriers, Dave Springford has Kiley, John Murry has Dixie & another, etc. We all get to know the dogs as well as the owners. Maybe there should be an article on "Soaring Dogs"?

Sorry about the liberal invasion of Florida, but I think it's not just liberals. I understand that all of the conservatives in NYC have fled the city too. . . both of them in one car. :-)

All the best

ROY

I too have Bella, a great yellow lab! I understand completely but the liability factor is the concern. Now about the two conservatives, I bet they don't drive a Tesla. My interactions this past October with a flaming liberal has had a big impact on me, I now pack two pistols instead of one. Well I guess since our flying is somewhat curtailed I can fire up the sprayer and tend to my Mango orchard. Bob
Old March 30th 20, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op zondag 29 maart 2020 17:21:32 UTC+2 schreef :
What clubs are still flying? I’d like to get a feel for what’s really happening out there in the “actual” not simulated soaring scene. Us at central alabama soaring are still in the air albit with limited and heavy precautionary activities. Just solo flying. I towed a few on friday and wanted to fly myself but we have the same age old non-viral related problem, lack of tow pilots.

Costal soaring club down in the panhandle of FL flew yesterday with 8 flights so they are still doing things. Any other clubs in non-epidemic areas still flying?
Dan

NOTAM in Belgium FIR forbids any recreational flight. Will probably be extended.

B1354/20
From:18 MAR 20 11:00 Till:05 APR 20 11:00
Text:BELGIAN FIR: NO TRG AND VFR FLIGHTS ALLOWED, EXC: MEDICAL, POLICE, SAR AND PIPELINE INSPECTIONS
Old March 30th 20, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

I consider the airport to be a no religion / no politics environment.

I'm there to share my love of flying with other pilots of like mind.

That philosophy seems to have served me well. It might serve RAS well too.

Lou

Old March 30th 20, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Aw MnLou, airports=no religion no politics? I wish that was true, but my experience has been somewhat different. Lets see, we got the high performance guys dising the low performance guys, and the xc fliers thinking the local-only guys are not “true glider fliers”, and the powers guys bitching about the glider guys being in their way etc etc. Sounds alot like arguing heaven/hell, Jesus vs Allah, Liberals vs Conservatives.

If only we could all agree, or a more practical solution; to agree to disagree, and we could all go about our individual goals. I think half of our problem is most of us are stuck on the ground right now so all we have is time on our hands, time to moan n groan n argue just for the entertainment value of it. Things will get much better when we can all get back in the air and all do our thing. Then we can argue about more entertaining subjects like who’s got the best xc wx Marfa or Minden lol.
Old March 30th 20, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 11:21:32 AM UTC-4, wrote:
What clubs are still flying? I’d like to get a feel for what’s really happening out there in the “actual” not simulated soaring scene. Us at central alabama soaring are still in the air albit with limited and heavy precautionary activities. Just solo flying. I towed a few on friday and wanted to fly myself but we have the same age old non-viral related problem, lack of tow pilots.

Costal soaring club down in the panhandle of FL flew yesterday with 8 flights so they are still doing things. Any other clubs in non-epidemic areas still flying?
Dan

Caesar Creek Soaring Club (SW Ohio) - Has closed down for the duration.
Old March 30th 20, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

"I consider the airport to be a no religion / no politics environment."

I don't know about the airport environment, but when I am 250 km away from home, scratching down at 800', and I see another glider circling steep nearby, I don't much care if he is a Trump or a Bernie supporter, Catholic, Muslim, Jew or Druid.
He is my new best friend.
ROY

Old March 30th 20, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 11:30:31 AM UTC-4, MNLou wrote:
I consider the airport to be a no religion / no politics environment.

I'm there to share my love of flying with other pilots of like mind.

Glider pilots who wear (whatever) politics/religion on their sleeves discourage people from getting/staying involved in the sport. Especially young people.

I once enjoyed two days of flying with a great pilot who I found out afterwards believes 'Nazis were/are not so bad'. It never came up.

The gliding community is much too small to bring forward topics that divide us.
Old March 30th 20, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Flubber, the discussions here usually end up in controversy n crap. But this place is mostly populated with old codgers who like me, have been in the sport for decades, are not going anywhere( not going to leave the sport) and are all of strong opinions including yourself. When I am out at the field or visiting another field flying, this stuff rarely comes up and reasonable conversations can be had because we have the time face to face to present our points of view in their totality. I don’t know of a single potential glider pilot who has been run away from a club via political opinions. I have however seen guys move on due to the clickiness of old time club members.
Old March 30th 20, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Hear hear....although I usually look at birds (other than seagulls....)...whatever, a save is a save.....
Politics, religion, sexual preference is something for a possible hanger discussion....flying is a better set of rules!