Concealed Carry In MY ASW27

Old April 2nd 20, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Concealed Carry In MY ASW27

A high altitude ejection from an exploding aircraft brings a lot more
forces than jumping out of a glider, including the high-g loading of the
rocket catapult.Â* With my limited parachuting experience (7 jumps), I
found opening shock to be practically non-existant.

On 4/1/2020 9:17 PM, John Foster wrote:
Dan, I'll have to explore the shoulder holster option, particularly if it can be fit under the parachute.

Our Airport Manager is a former Vietnam POW who was shot down in 1972. Upon bailout from his B-52, his lensatic compass was caught under his 'chute harness when the canopy opened. He got three broken ribs out of it. However, that was just the beginning of his troubles.

Good point. One would need the holster positioned somewhere where it was NOT under a parachute harness strap. That could be "problematic".

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 2nd 20, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Doesn't it have a half cock hammer position?

I once had a Navy Colt .32 caliber black powder gun.Â* With that you
could load all cylinders and lower the hammer on the high ground between
nipples.Â* When you draw the hammer back, the cylinder rotates into battery.

On 4/2/2020 12:54 AM, wrote:
Bumper, its a single action colt I have. That means it has to be cocked every time one wants to fire a round. The only safe way of transport is to have an empty chamber under the hammer.

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 2nd 20, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It does but it would take much to trigger a fire, as it half cocks the cylinder rotates. Most guys just keep the hammer on the empty when transporting or riding horse.
Dan
Old April 2nd 20, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 9:36:07 AM UTC-4, Charles Longley wrote:

When I was flying Twin Otters on the North Slope. There was a story floating around about a guy at one of the DEW Line sights killing a Polar Bear that broke in with a 9 mm.

You mean your polar bears pack handguns?

Jim Beckman
Old April 2nd 20, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 9:36:07 AM UTC-4, Charles Longley wrote:

When I was flying Twin Otters on the North Slope. There was a story floating around about a guy at one of the DEW Line sights killing a Polar Bear that broke in with a 9 mm.

You mean your polar bears pack handguns?

Jim Beckman

Commas do make a difference. :c) I thought most polar bears carried at least a 40 S&W, a few opt for 10 mm if the recoil doesn't hurt their paws.
Old April 2nd 20, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Thursday, April 2, 2020 at 9:29:56 AM UTC-4, Moses Acee wrote:
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 6:46:26 PM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
What a surprise, just today my son brought me a great gift to fight off the flaming liberals at the gliderport. It is a Bulgarian AK47 with 2000 rounds of ammunition. Thank god that I raised this kid correctly, educated him and he achieved the status of a Structural Engineer, PE.
He advised me to be careful of the soft trigger, and he told me to take it with me at all times to fend off all the flaming liberals even at the gliderport. I told him not to worry, I carry two pistols in the 27 and Eileen has one in the 24. Nothing like a family of glider pilots being well prepared for the Flaming Liberals.
I was hoping to make plans to fly around Lake Okeechobee again this week, but the weather is not in my favor. I have never smelt anything better than Hoppy,s # 9 gun oil or flew better that a ASW. Bob

Go Bobby Youngblood! Totally agree.

Moses, when I first posted this thread I sat back and contemplated if it were the correct thing to do. Without a doubt this was one of the better things to take the fear out of the group concerning the COVID 19. Why not loosen up and have a laugh or two. A few months back things in this group were really getting boring with all the post about things like should I land with spoilers and centering thermals. I thought I would loosen things up a bit and tell the folks how I dropped my urine bags on trailer parks before landing, now that really set the crazies off.
After this post the crazies have gone ballistic, I even got phone calls telling me I was some kind of terrorist. How good it is to see some of these guys and gals actually enjoying the humor. Elvis is dead, like Lewis Grizzard once wrote, so humor and fun are the best things in life. Bob

Old April 2nd 20, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, April 2, 2020 at 4:58:18 PM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
[...]

Maybe making it an April fool might have gotten more folks to see the humor..
UH
Old April 2nd 20, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

[...]

Yep, I pulled the trigger a day too soon.
Old April 2nd 20, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This started with an AK47 and bored engineer/glider pilots.

Seems like we a missing a great opportunity. What's L/D for an AK47 round?

With the changing velocity on the way to target, I'm not sure what it means. Something to do with energy used per foot of range.