Dittel radio servicing

Old November 19th 17, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Sherrill

Default Dittel radio servicing

Any recommendations for getting a Dittel FSG 71M serviced? Mine has a sticker on the side that reads "Replace Memory Battery 2005". The radio is working perfectly, but I want to get that battery out before it starts leaking.

I have found owners manuals and schematics on the web, but nothing about repair services.

Thanks,
...david
Old November 19th 17, 08:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

2 choices
Anton Lang Flugfunk Services in Germany. He us the authorized service center for them and it will come back like new
Or, do it yourself. It is simple soldering. Remove the top part of the case and you have access to the battery. It is a 1/2aa 3,6v Lithium battery. Cut and bend the ends to suit and solder it in.

Good luck either way
Old November 19th 17, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If your are in the U.S You may also try Peninsula Avionics:

14229 SW 127 Street
Miami, FL 33186
305-238-6550

I'm pretty that's who worked on my radio a few years ago. But be ready for sticker shock. My Dittel wouldn't turn on. I sent it out and was told it was the internal battery, which didn't make much sense to me. But what do I know. Well over $300 later it had a new battery, bench tested and checked out and still didn't work. It turned out to be a loose wire on the fuse holder.

Old November 20th 17, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

How about which continent are you located? What works for me may sorta suck for you, shipping could be more than the repair.
Otherwise, you may be able to do it yourself if you are a DIY person with some guidance.
Old November 20th 17, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 4:38:42 PM UTC-8, David Sherrill wrote:
Any recommendations for getting a Dittel FSG 71M serviced? Mine has a sticker on the side that reads "Replace Memory Battery 2005". The radio is working perfectly, but I want to get that battery out before it starts leaking.

I have found owners manuals and schematics on the web, but nothing about repair services.

Thanks,
...david

It was over a decade ago, but believe I changed a FSG71M backup battery myself. Open it up and have a look. The memory freqs will be lost if you do it with no power to the radio, but that's better than causing other problems when there is power.
Perhaps the battery might not be easily found.
Otherwise a "new to you" FSG71M isn't an expensive item. Currently two on Segelflug.de at 100 and 110 Euros plus shipping. There may be adapters available to plug and play a newer radio too.
Jim
Old November 20th 17, 11:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 7:38:42 PM UTC-5, David Sherrill wrote:
Any recommendations for getting a Dittel FSG 71M serviced?

I changed the battery in mine and also replaced the LCD screen about 12 years ago. While the radio is very compact I think components were large enough that you could work on it without a microscope. It stayed in the glider when I sold it in 2009. The LCD screen was very easily damaged by heat and pressure (clean it very gently). Another minor flaw was that the radio would go crazy if I forgot to turn my cellphone off while flying.
Old February 9th 18, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Sherrill

Thank you. Your post provided the encouragement needed for self-repair. Ordered the battery from Digikey sometime back and finally installed it last weekend. Easy job. Good result.

Thanks,
...david

Old February 27th 18, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 2:01:40 AM UTC-5, Ross wrote:
2 choices
Anton Lang Flugfunk Services in Germany. He us the authorized service center for them and it will come back like new
Or, do it yourself. It is simple soldering. Remove the top part of the case and you have access to the battery. It is a 1/2aa 3,6v Lithium battery. Cut and bend the ends to suit and solder it in.

Good luck either way

Hi Ross,

could you please describe what that battery looks like? I opened up the both covers and there is nothing there I would readily identify as a battery. If I sent you a photo, could you point it out to me or could you send me a Digikey link that battery?
Thanks,

Uli
'AS'
Old February 27th 18, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

Uli,

You are looking for a 3,6v Litium battery.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Saft-LS-1450...AOSwzb9ZpXm 4

Remove the top cover and you will see it at the back, both ends bent down and soldered to the board, and the sides bonded with silicon

Old February 27th 18, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 8:31:24 AM UTC-5, Ross wrote:
Uli,

You are looking for a 3,6v Litium battery.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Saft-LS-1450...AOSwzb9ZpXm 4

Remove the top cover and you will see it at the back, both ends bent down and soldered to the board, and the sides bonded with silicon

Perfect - thanks, Ross! I saw that component but being more of a 'Nuts & Bolts' guy, thought this is a big resistor or capacitor. :-)

Uli
'AS'

Dittel Fsg-5 radio [email protected] Soaring 0 July 21st 16 06:24 PM
Used Dittel radio Paul Natkiel Soaring 0 March 2nd 09 08:17 PM
Dittel Radio [email protected] Soaring 11 January 27th 09 10:09 PM
Dittel Radio Paul Soaring 0 January 10th 06 12:50 AM
Dittel radio Q ken ward Soaring 1 October 8th 03 07:23 AM