Goodbye, AvMap...

Old October 12th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default Goodbye, AvMap...

Well, we've now flown behind the Garmin 496 for 10 weeks, and around 20
flights, and we've decided that -- despite having an awful screen and a
slow processor -- we'll keep it. The fantastic benefits of having
on-board weather simply outweigh the painful truth that the 496
represents a bad compromise in an aviation GPS display.

We thought about keeping our favorite GPS -- the AvMap EKP-IIIC Gold --
on the copilot's yoke, but we've already got the Lowrance 2000c planted
there. The 2000c represents the best value in GPS today, with a screen
nearly as large as the AvMap's, at a fraction of the price. It's also
current technology and a current model, which means that it will be
supported (I hope!) by Lowrance for a while longer.

Thus, sadly, we've decided to sell the AvMap. If only those stupid
*******s at AvMap had come out with XM weather, like they promised at
OSH '05, we'd have kept the unit forever. It is still hand's down,
head & shoulders the finest moving map display I've seen in a portable
GPS -- it's a far better display than either the 2000c or the 496 --
and we hate to part with it. Buy I've simply got no use for it, now.

It's on Ebay right now. See it here, if you're interested:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?W186264FD
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 12th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross Richardson[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:

[...]

What do you think the reoccuring cost for the 496 is going to be to keep
the weather, database, etc?

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old October 12th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave Butler[_1_]

Ross Richardson wrote:

What do you think the reoccuring cost for the 496 is going to be to keep
the weather, database, etc?

Google for my contribution to the thread "Garmin 396 vs 496" just a few
days ago.

Dave
Old October 12th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

What do you think the reoccuring cost for the 496 is going to be to keep
the weather, database, etc?

$50 per month for weather, unless we downgrade to the $30/month version
over the winter.

We'll probably update the other databases at OSH every year.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 20th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

496 and a slow processor? Garmin are making a big deal out of it being
5x faster screen update etc.

I know. I simply can't imagine flying behind a 396, if these claims
are true.

What Garmin doesn't tell you is this: The re-draw rate as you fly
along is fine. Nothing to write home about, but okay. But just try to
skew your cursor ahead of your route, to check out the weather!

Here's how it goes:

Skew...cursor disappears....screen goes blank...count to 3....cursor
reappears....screen reappears....cursor disappears....screen
disappears...count to 3...ad nauseum...

Your only other option is to zoom out far enough to see your route of
flight -- but then most of the reporting stations disappear, because
the screen is so dinky! (If it didn't declutter, it would be one blob
of triangles...)

Your only hope at that point is to move your cursor to where you THINK
the next reporting station ought to be, and zoom back in, hoping that
you're pretty close. THEN you can check the weather -- IF you guessed
right. If you guessed wrong, start skewing...or zoom back out and
guess again.

We find ourselves simply not checking the weather ahead, cuz it's so
clumsy to use. It's ridiculous, and it's not what I expected in a
unit that cost almost $3000.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 21st 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Jay still commenting about the slow slew rate of his new Garmin 496:
Skew...cursor disappears....screen goes blank...count to 3....cursor
reappears....screen reappears....cursor disappears....screen
disappears...count to 3...ad nauseum...

The 396 is about the same. I don't believe the faster refresh rate of
the 496 makes this any better. The faster refresh appears to be mainly
limited to the updates of the rotation of the map as you turn and the
faster response of the little airplane in the turn coordinator on the
panel page. Scrolling and slewing around appear to be about the same
(delay) in both units. However, I tried them at different times. If
anyone has both models in the same place at the same time to test please
report back to the group if there is a significant difference.

I will say that I only get the blank screen and wait when I move the
cursor initially just a little. After I have the redrawn screen, I can
slide around that screen without any more blanking provided I stay on
that screen. Once I slide off the screen it goes into the blank out mode
again.

Jay, is that what yours does?

Mike
Old October 21st 06, 09:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Thomas Borchert

Peter,

have been trying hard to establish the 396 v 496 difference, for
European use where there is no airborne weather. Unfortunately none of
the vendors I spoke to seems to know anything about it (they aren't
pilots, for a start).

Didn't we speak about this extensively? You didn't give the impression
that you were still lacking any information. If so, ask away.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 21st 06, 09:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Thomas Borchert

Peter,

I have been trying hard to establish the 396 v 496 difference, for
European use where there is no airborne weather.

Oh, the key thing with regard to this is, of course: There is no
European version of the 396. Simple as that. The 496, however, is
available in a version without weather. But, as I told you before, the
unit that really fits your mission description 100 percent is the
Lowrance Airmap 600c, or the 2000c.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 21st 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

The Avmap EKP IV seems nicer (big screen for a start) but even fewer
people here know anything about it.

Isn't that odd? AvMap is a European product.

Here's my take: If you can't get weather on the 496 in Europe, run --
don't walk -- to the AvMap IV instead.

It is head and shoulders, 1000 times better at being a GPS than the
496.

If only AvMap would overlay XM weather on that beautiful screen! My
496 would be on Ebay in 10 seconds...

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 21st 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

I will say that I only get the blank screen and wait when I move the
cursor initially just a little. After I have the redrawn screen, I can
slide around that screen without any more blanking provided I stay on
that screen. Once I slide off the screen it goes into the blank out mode
again.

Jay, is that what yours does?

Yes, it works that way -- provided you stay on that screen. When I'm
on a long cross country flight, however -- say, from Iowa to Michigan
-- and I want to check current weather at my destination, that's gonna
require slewing (not skewing -- d'oh!) "across" several screens.

Cursor disappear...screen goes blank...count to 3....screen reappears,
slew across tiny little 3-inch screen...cursor disappears...screen goes
blank....count to 3....

Or you can zoom out, reposition the cursor, and zoom back in, hoping
that you've placed your cursor in approximately the right spot. If
not, zoom out, and try again! (Or slew...)

As long as you're not on a cross country flight, and the weather isn't
a factor, this design flaw never comes into play. Of course, that's
precisely when you need and want the weather most, is when you're on a
long cross country flight...

I may have already said this, but the 496 is an outstanding automotive
tool, by the way. We used it again the other day to find an obscure
address in a tiny town in a different state -- and "Bitchin' Betty"
directed me right into the driveway. It's an incredible tool.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

AvMap EKP-IV GPS RB Home Built 0 August 5th 06 02:08 AM
AVMap EKP-IV EPS RB General Aviation 0 August 5th 06 01:57 AM
Lowrance 2000C vs. AvMap -- comments appreciated john smith Piloting 2 September 13th 04 02:51 PM
Some views of my AvMap EKP-IV Jay Masino Owning 20 September 6th 04 05:01 PM
AvMap IV price range Kai Glaesner Piloting 2 September 6th 04 02:07 PM