Cobra trailer aluminum vs fiberglass top

Old July 13th 18, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Cobra trailer aluminum vs fiberglass top

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 4:55:10 PM UTC-7, Roy B. wrote:
I have both: Metal top in the US and fiberglass in South Africa. The metal top seems to be easier to clean and keep clean. Also, the front door on the fiberglass top does not latch well or consistently. I have seen several of those blow open on the road. The metal top front doors don't seem to have that problem. But I don't think that there is a real big difference.
ROY

Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to go with the insulated Aluminum top.

Tom
Old July 14th 18, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 6:55:10 PM UTC-5, Roy B. wrote:
I have both: Metal top in the US and fiberglass in South Africa. The metal top seems to be easier to clean and keep clean. Also, the front door on the fiberglass top does not latch well or consistently. I have seen several of those blow open on the road. The metal top front doors don't seem to have that problem. But I don't think that there is a real big difference.
ROY

As a bit of an aside, I installed a second latch on my (aluminum top!) Cobra trailer forward hatch/door to prevent the dreaded "door bent back at 180 degrees from 60MPH (96KPH)" syndrome. Here is the latch I used; https://www.westmarine.com/buy/south...27?recordNum=9. Latch picture can be found at; http://aviation.derosaweb.net/asw27/documents/Trailer/
Old July 15th 18, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've never been able to find an aluminum trailer with the factory insulation package. Can anyone direct us to pictures and insulation specifics? My concern is it would be "delicate" and have a tendency to "pick".

If you were going to add insulate to an older trailer, what specific product would you use?
Old July 15th 18, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 3:08:29 AM UTC+1, wrote:
I've never been able to find an aluminum trailer with the factory insulation package. Can anyone direct us to pictures and insulation specifics? My concern is it would be "delicate" and have a tendency to "pick".

If you were going to add insulate to an older trailer, what specific product would you use?

I looked at one several years ago and the insulation on that one appeared to be black "rubbery" expanded foam - not polystyrene foam. I have the same decision to make and will ask Spindelberger to send a sample.
Old July 16th 18, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 9:32:46 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 3:08:29 AM UTC+1, wrote:
I've never been able to find an aluminum trailer with the factory insulation package. Can anyone direct us to pictures and insulation specifics? My concern is it would be "delicate" and have a tendency to "pick".

If you were going to add insulate to an older trailer, what specific product would you use?

I looked at one several years ago and the insulation on that one appeared to be black "rubbery" expanded foam - not polystyrene foam. I have the same decision to make and will ask Spindelberger to send a sample.

There are a number of self adhesive foam insulations available that are reasonably priced. I've also used the reflective "bubble wrap" stuff with 3M 77 or 90 spray adhesive (though that isn't so suitable for trailers). It doesn't need a high R value as it only needs to prevent condensate on interior surfaces. This stuff on Amazon looks interesting:
https://www.amazon.com/Noico-waterpr...oam+insulation

bumper

Old July 16th 18, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 11:49:50 AM UTC-4, bumper wrote:
[...]

1/16" of an inch seems awful thin. Wonder what is the thickness of the Spindelberger insulation?
Old July 16th 18, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 12:07:43 -0700, bensoaring wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-waterpr...Self-adhesive-

Deadening/dp/B07CZ2DHV3/ref=sr_1_20?
ie=UTF8&qid=1531726529&sr=8-20&keywords=self+adhesive+foam+insulation

1/16" of an inch seems awful thin. Wonder what is the thickness of the
Spindelberger insulation?

The web page says 1/6" (4mm) thick.

A clubmate had good anti-condensation results from lining a trailer with
3mm (1/8") polystyrene wallpaper underlay held on with contact cement, so
this stuff, which looks to be a lot more resistant to water penetration
as well as 33% thicker and denser than the polystyrene should be better.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old July 16th 18, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 12:13:33 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
I am interested in the pros and cons of aluminum vs fiberglass top for Cobra trailers.

Tom

My experience, having owned both, is that the current production glass to Cobra trailers keep the glider cooler and drier than metal top trailers.
Neatly done repairs are much easier in glass. I am experienced in both.
When the finish deteriorates, my opinion is that it is easier to refinish the glass trailer. This involves surface sanding to get a clean, slightly roughened surface, followed by a couple light coats of spray filler to clean up surface defects, orbital sand with 220 grit, and then spray with acrylic urethane.
The metal trailer, if the paint is bad, requires stripping to bare metal, etch, conversion coat, epoxy prime, then paint with AU.
FWIW most of the damage to either is meaningfully reduced by simply getting them out of the weather. This also keeps the glider cooler which slows aging.
In my view the dominant consideration is how well the trailer protects the glider that costs somewhere between 8 and 20 times what the trailer does.
UH
Old July 17th 18, 10:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

I haven't ever seen metal top Cobra that requires painting. I have never seen glass top that doesn't.
Old July 17th 18, 11:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ken Payne

At 09:38 17 July 2018, krasw wrote:
I haven't ever seen metal top Cobra that requires painting. I have never
seen glass top that doesn't.

Do Cobra offer a paint finish on their fiberglass tops. If not why not?