Don't fly weather briefing

Old May 12th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

Default Don't fly weather briefing

"Danny Deger" wrote in message

Anyone else had a similar issue with a briefer not doing his job because
he/she thought you shouldn't fly that day.

Danny Deger

Just like everyone else, briefers have good and bad days. My worst
experience with a briefer was my first trip (100 hour pilot) into Oshkosh
for the EAA convention. I'd already called operations at Oshkosh that
morning to verify that parking was available for GA aircraft, and the answer
was yep, plenty of parking was available.

Of course, the briefer hadn't had that conversation and when I asked for a
brief into OSH, he told me I couldn't go there, the field was full. I
explained the situation and his response was "Oh, so you think you know more
than I do...?".

As a 100 hour pilot I was somewhat intimidated, but flew into Oshkosh
anyway, got an excellent parking spot in the North 40, and had a great time.
Today, I'd ask for the guy's supervisor.

More on topic, I think the standard briefer boilerplate is to tell you why
you shouldn't fly, not that if you're smart, you should be OK. I've made
many flights in weather where the brief was "VFR not recommended", but all
you had to do was look outside the window and steer clear of the nasty
stuff. Alternately, if the nasty stuff gets too close together, landing is
always an option. Been there, done that too.

KB

Old May 12th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On May 12, 4:34 pm, "Danny Deger" wrote:
Has anyone else noticed a tendency for FSS briefers to give you a "stay on
the ground" weather briefing for isolated thunderstorms? 90% of the time on
a summer day in Texas there are some storms. Usually easy to see and avoid.
But I have in the past had a controller that obviously didn't want me to
fly. The worst case was a VFR flight between Houston and Austin with a
single cell between the two cities. All the controller would tell me about
was how bad the weather in the cell was. He refused to provide me with any
weather information outside of the cell. I ended by hanging up and calling
back. The next briefer told me about the very good weather outside of the
single cell and I had a good flight. This is only the worst of my
experiences with briefers and thunderstorms.

Anyone else had a similar issue with a briefer not doing his job because
he/she thought you shouldn't fly that day.

Danny Deger

You just need to be direct. "Do you not have weather outside of the
cell or are you refusing to give me weather outside of the cell".

-Robert

Old May 12th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

On May 12, 6:34 pm, "Danny Deger" wrote:

Anyone else had a similar issue with a briefer not doing his job because
he/she thought you shouldn't fly that day.

Danny Deger

Danny

This gets me into my stick about "VFR not recommended". This is an
old phrase but it has never really grown on me.

The trick I have found in a wx BF is to act as if you are in the
plane, ie take control of it in terms of the information that you are
seeking. DeRidder is really very good at what they do and back home
in the states I call them wherever I am (and will miss them when they
are gone).

Not knowing what you were told, but in a case like yours my response
would have been "So its reasonable to say that I can work my way
around this one isolated thunderstorm VFR or what makes you interpret
the information different then I do?"

Most briefers are very good, and some are not. A possibility is that
this guy/gal just got a pirep from someone who has had a bad
experience and was trying to convey that.

Some years ago I was coming back to Houston from Dallas and I started
out VFR. I had a briefing which seemed to be "moderate" VFR was solid
all the way to Houston. By the time I got to Corsicana (spell)
moderate had dropped to low. They stayed "low" until I got near
Madisonville and I was working very hard to stay VFR and wondering why
I had not just filed and gone. Finally around Madisonville things
went back to moderate and I drove on in.

As I got near Houston I got Montgomery county on the line and fed them
some info about the bad weather. Landing at Pearland a "friend" was
going to retrace my route (quite by circumstance). He told me that
the briefer had been really down about his odds of making it VFR
because of a PIREP from a guy in a 175. I told him "Yeah I know that
was me!"

The guy went anyway VFR (he could file if he had to) and said later
the WX was solid VFR 3000 or so on the clouds (it was the ceiling that
was the problem). Depends on the time I guess.

Robert

Old May 12th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

On May 12, 10:46 pm, "Danny Deger" wrote:

Danny Deger

Danny.

A minor nit..really minor. I always refer to the folks who give the
briefing as "Briefers". Not controllers.

Controllers...they have the ability to issue
instructions...Briefers...not so much.

take care.

Robert

Old May 13th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kevin& Donna Sanders, M.D.

Yes they did that Thursday and all we had was a little stuff along the coast
of NC. He advised against VFR flight several times

Kevin

Old May 13th 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Good point. This was the only time I actually gave up on a briefer and
called back to get another one.

One thing I don't understand is when I got my instrument rating and started
to go IFR, the briefers didn't have any trouble with thunderstorms. For
some reason they would chug right along with an IFR briefing with isolated
t-storms in the area.

I recall one time trying to get from middle Wisconsin to Texas about the
time the weather channel was new. The briefer was giving me doom an gloom
about a line of thunderstorms. It was great VFR where I was and iI nformed
him I was willing to deviate to get around the line. He would not give me
any information on how to get around the line. The weather channel poped up
the radar picture on a TV I was watching and I could see the line was very
short and a deviation less than 100 miles would get me around. When I asked
the controller his opinion on the diviation he replied, "Where did you see
that?"

I replied, "The Weather Channel"

His response was a very huffy, "We don't use the weather channel around
here."

But after I informed him I was taking off and I was going around the line,
he ended up giving me a decent briefing.

I am getting back into flying today, but I assume in todays world briefers
are used to pilots having a radar image. Now you get to see for yourself
what the situation with the storms is.

On a tact other than thunderstorms, has anyone ever told a briefer that 1
mile visibility and clear of clouds is VFR in uncontrolled airspace. I have
had to inform briefers more than once to this fact before they would
continue the VFR briefing.

Danny Deger

-Robert

Old May 13th 07, 09:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 13 May 2007 20:39:45 -0500, "Danny Deger"
wrote in
:

What is with these guys?

It's a CYA thing. They want to get on the tape as advising you
against VFR flight (probably company policy, although it was done
before the LocMart FSS privatization) in the event of a mishap.

Old May 13th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"Luke Skywalker" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 12, 10:46 pm, "Danny Deger" wrote:

Danny Deger

Danny.

A minor nit..really minor. I always refer to the folks who give the
briefing as "Briefers". Not controllers.

Controllers...they have the ability to issue
instructions...Briefers...not so much.

Not a nit really. They are briefers. I had a "typo"

Danny Deger

take care.

Robert

Old May 14th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"Kevin& Donna Sanders, M.D." wrote in message
Yes they did that Thursday and all we had was a little stuff along the
coast of NC. He advised against VFR flight several times

Thanks for the input. What is with these guys? Someone needs to tell them
it is NOT hard to stay out of isolated thunderstorms. I will abmit more
than once I have told them I was IFR just to get a decent briefing out of
them. For some reason the briefers seem to think if IFR thunderstorms are
OK.

Danny Deger