A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Proposed SZD-55 EASA AD now out for comment - "Flight Controls – Elevator Control System / Vertical Tail – Inspection"

Old March 30th 18, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Default Proposed SZD-55 EASA AD now out for comment - "Flight Controls – Elevator Control System / Vertical Tail – Inspection"

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 8:16:28 AM UTC-4, Dan Daly wrote:
@son_of_flubber:

You said: "When I bought my SZD glider, I found that the previous owner had removed ~10 lbs of factory installed lead ballast from the nose. The ballast mount location was hidden behind an access panel."

Was this a 55? Which access panel?

I don't have an SZD 55
Old April 2nd 18, 06:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Proposed SZD-55 EASA AD now out for comment - "Flight Controls – Elevator Control System / Vertical Tail – Inspection"

"When I bought my SZD glider, I found that the previous owner had removed ~10 lbs of factory installed lead ballast from the nose. The ballast mount location was hidden behind an access panel."

Was the change at least properly done and recorded? Anyone who makes a significant change in the C of G by doing something like that without recording the work and accurately updating the weight & balance and loading information deserves to be horsewhipped.

We've got one 55 in my club, fortunately it hasn't been hacked up like the accident glider was. I was relieved that the owners aren't faced with the need to get glass work done right at the beginning of the season.
Old April 2nd 18, 08:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The experts have done the research, and all agree AGW is happening, ive done my researcg properly,
not on dribbling nut job denialist sites. Youre a bit of a dickhead arent you?
Old April 2nd 18, 11:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 3:26:35 AM UTC-4, wrote:
The experts have done the research, and all agree AGW is happening, ive done my researcg properly,
not on dribbling nut job denialist sites. Youre a bit of a dickhead arent you?

The experts have been caught cheating in their attempts to push AGW. Pushing rules on people for power and money justified by fraudulent science is the ultimate dickhead move. Find a new religion. I suggest soaring, church usually meets on Sat. and Sun. though the truly devoted also attend services during the week.
Old April 2nd 18, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Flub said:
"When I bought my SZD glider, I found that the previous owner had removed ~10 lbs of factory installed lead ballast from the nose. The ballast mount location was hidden behind an access panel."

On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 1:52:51 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Was the change at least properly done and recorded? Anyone who makes a significant change in the C of G by doing something like that without recording the work and accurately updating the weight & balance and loading information deserves to be horsewhipped.

No log book entry. Owner made an offhand verbal remark about the weights when reminiscing over dinner. I had to press him to produce the weights.
Old April 5th 18, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The experts were not caught cheating, thats just the typical alt facts of the deluded denialist.
1. CO2 is a gas which blocks some infra red heat from exiting the atmosphere.

2. The greater the concentration in the atmosphere, the greater the insulating
effect.

3. The extra heat must go somewhere, it doesnt just disappear. Neither does CO2.

4.The extra CO2 changes the ph of the oceans, by creating carbolic acid when it is absorbed-and its absorption is limited, at a certain point it will stop sinking CO2, if plankton blooms are reduced, and deforrestation continues, it's hard to see levels reducing, or even not increasing.

5. There is no contradiction in claiming that extreme events in both temp directions are a result of putting more energy into a chaotic system. Its not a leap to look at the amount extra energy, and research its effects on individual events, given the advances in computing power we have seen over the last 50 years.

6. Nobody is claiming every severe event is caused by climate change, only that the intensity of the event is probably larger. That is simply a strawman.

I will never understand smart people being obtuse about such a simple matter.
Old April 5th 18, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]
external usenet poster

Default Proposed SZD-55 EASA AD now out for comment - "Flight Controls– Elevator Control System / Vertical Tail –Inspection"

On Wed, 04 Apr 2018 21:09:34 -0700, davidlawley wrote:

Good points snipped.

I will never understand smart people being obtuse about such a simple
matter.

There's nothing harder than to change a mind that has fixed views about
something that is backed by the perception that "its always been like
this so its ALWAYS gonna be like this".

Sorry, but when the CO2 content of the atmosphere has risen from 340 ppm
in 1980 to 400ppm in 2017 (15% in 37 years) AND the heat from burning all
that carbon-based fuel has been pumped into the environment, then
something is going to happen.

I've certainly noticed changes in UK weather patterns over the 18 years
I've been flying gliders and am just surprised that others haven't also
noticed them. Changes like the disappearance of ideal XC conditions in
May when a strong northerly brings cold air down under a high pressure
ridge. Like the observation that the jet stream used to be over the UK in
winter and well north of us in summer. Now its over us in summer and over
France in winter.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old April 5th 18, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Cult members double down on their belief when shown the truth. Just the way we are wired. Round here it looks like glider assembly day is going to get postponed by snow. Damn global warming. Or the maybe the scientists in the 1970's were right and we are experiencing pollution caused winter. Only way to settle this is to ask a dinosaur what the normal earth temperature should be...
Or 'give' more money to the climatologists. Wait that won't work the more money you shovel at climatologists the more global warming you get.
Old April 5th 18, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

A well stated case!Â* So tell me, which man-made event caused the ice to
melt some 11,000 years ago?

If you can't dazzle us with brilliance, must you try to baffle us with
bull ****?Â* And no, I'm not a flat earther, just someone who thinks for
himself.Â* You should try the same rather than insult us with your claims
of perfect knowledge.

And what's this got to do with the SZD-55, anyway?

On 4/4/2018 10:09 PM, wrote:
The experts were not caught cheating, thats just the typical alt facts of the deluded denialist.
1. CO2 is a gas which blocks some infra red heat from exiting the atmosphere.

2. The greater the concentration in the atmosphere, the greater the insulating
effect.

3. The extra heat must go somewhere, it doesnt just disappear. Neither does CO2.

4.The extra CO2 changes the ph of the oceans, by creating carbolic acid when it is absorbed-and its absorption is limited, at a certain point it will stop sinking CO2, if plankton blooms are reduced, and deforrestation continues, it's hard to see levels reducing, or even not increasing.

5. There is no contradiction in claiming that extreme events in both temp directions are a result of putting more energy into a chaotic system. Its not a leap to look at the amount extra energy, and research its effects on individual events, given the advances in computing power we have seen over the last 50 years.

6. Nobody is claiming every severe event is caused by climate change, only that the intensity of the event is probably larger. That is simply a strawman.

I will never understand smart people being obtuse about such a simple matter.
I view those that question AGW in the same class as flat earthers, anti vaxxers and creationists.

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 5th 18, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, April 5, 2018 at 7:50:22 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
And what's this got to do with the SZD-55, anyway?

I think you started it ;-)

https://xkcd.com/1732/