Lightspeed Battery Box Warning

Old July 9th 03, 11:04 PM
Peter Duniho

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
"The two most common things in the Universe are hydrogen and stupidity."
(Apologies; I forget whom I'm quoting. --Russell Kent)

Einstein (supposedly).

Actually, the more accepted version of the quote is:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.

I've only ever seen that quote with the additional phrase: "and I'm not so
sure about the universe".

While the two quotes are similar, and I suppose Ellison's might have been
inspired by Einstein's, they are hardly semantically equivalent. I wouldn't
call the two quotes the same, or even different versions of the same quote.

Pete

Old July 9th 03, 11:14 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Peter Duniho" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
I mean that they put it specifically into the FAQs, charters and other
supporting documentation that it was encouraged.

I've never seen anything like that. Do you happen to have an example or
two?

If you look at the source code for Cleanfeed, you'll see the microsoft.*
newsgroups are among the few where HTML is explicitly allowed. Or at
least that was the case 4 or 5 years ago. I was told that was a request
from Microsoft. I never actually verified it.

HTML posting and top posting are both symptoms of using inferior (ie
Windows) pseudo-newsreaders like Outhouse. When you find one, you usually
find the other.

Ahhh...I see. This is actually about your bias against Microsoft, rather
than an actual comment about Usenet habits. Nevermind then...

No, HTML and top-posting are both bad things - they decrease the
readability of postings while increasing the size of the articles. The
majority of mail clients and newsreaders for Windows encourage these
things. I'd blame Outhouse, but in actual fact in the email world it's
Bloated Stoats that seemed to have started the top posting crapola. But
Bloates doesn't do news, so it's not germaine to this discussion.

--
Paul Tomblin , not speaking for anybody
"The thing you don't check is the thing that will kill you."
Old July 10th 03, 12:00 AM
Steve House

"Snowbird" wrote in message
om...
"SteveH" wrote in message

FYI - top posting is the current norm

What's your point here?

"If it is legit.." was not impuning any individual report but rather the
blanket assertion that flaws and failures in use are endemic to

Lightspeed

You appeared to be responding specifically to my post regarding
battery box melting. If you meant the above, a clearer way
to convey your meaning would be something like "if it's true
that Lightspeed has an endemic number of failures...."

You're correct, it would have been a better way of stating it. Early
morning fuzziness..

A battery pack that is hot enough to melt its casing and emit smoke is

on
the verge of combustion and even if it did not ignite itself it seems to

me
to present a risk that it could cause more flammable objects in contact

with
it to ignite.

Apples and oranges.

What is the voltage of a Dell battery pack? What is its current
draw?

14.8 volts, 5400 maHr
2.5 amp charging current

What is the voltage of a headset battery pack containing two
AA batteries? What is its current draw?

Lightspeeds 2-AA batteries specifically? 3 volts and I don't have a clue on
the current draw. But the 3 volts can produce a hell of a current for a
short time through a dead short, enough to heat a wire to the point of
melting and igniting surrounding materials should they be flammable.

And are you really asserting you'd find the above easier to
follow if I dumped it all up at the top of the post instead
of interspersing it so that you and everyone else can determine
to what I'm responding?

In most circumstances that is *almost* precisely what I am saying. The
exception is a message such as the one I'm now responding to where there are
several essentially independent conceptual threads interwoven, in which case
it makes more sense to deal with each as if it were an independent message.

Position isn't important - take your pick of the top or the bottom,
although the reply is easier to find on the top. But having the entire
conceptual context as a single block of contiguous text makes the traffic
far easier to read and comprehend in most cases than a little bit here and a
little bit there, interwoven with the text being replied to. The model
(preferred model, in my humble opinion) is the letter and reply discussions
that occur in many print journals. Thanks to whomever that the
character-based technology that made the no-top-post notion preferable has
been replaced with one that makes a more natural written discourse of
developed point and developed rebuttal and counter point viable, along with
the fact that just about the cheapest and fastest thing on the planet these
days is a few kilobytes of text transmitted down a fibre optic line. With
the reply as a single block of text, I can focus on what the writer is
saying. If I need to see the exact point to which he is responding, I can
always scroll down to the original text. If I need to remind myself of what
prompted that point now being responded to, I can easily scroll down
farther. But the ideas expressed at each stage remain a cohesive whole
within their original context and not disjointed snipits of thought,
idea-bites as it were. Sound-bites masquerading as discussion are bad
enough in the political arena.

Consider where we have a reply to a reply to a reply to a reply. You need
to count the indentation characters to figure out which message is the one a
given point is responding to. If each message stays together, replies being
top-posted on top of each other, it's not anywhere near the same problem to
figure out which is the point, the rebuttal, the re-rebuttal, etc.

Old July 10th 03, 01:29 AM

: I currently have the Cross Country. I had an original 20K, then the
: 25XL. The Cross Country is better in all respects except one. It does
: not have the auto shutoff feature. It is much more comfortable, it is

The XC-2 does have that, I believe. If I try to get a new one,
that's probably what I'd do.

: quieter and best of all it is not bulky like the ones with that god
: awful big foam ear seal and head band pad. The big foam ones always
: felt a little flimsy to me, the Cross Country is put together a lot
: better.

It looks (from the pictures) that the little wires that hold the
earpieces to the headband seem flimsy. Not true?

Thanks,
-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old July 10th 03, 02:15 AM
Peter Duniho

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
If you look at the source code for Cleanfeed, you'll see the microsoft.*
newsgroups are among the few where HTML is explicitly allowed. Or at
least that was the case 4 or 5 years ago. I was told that was a request
from Microsoft. I never actually verified it.

So you have no evidence to support your claim. Given that you said "they
put it specifically into the FAQs, charters and other supporting
documentation that it was encouraged", my naive self thought that you would
actually be able to show me an FAQ, charter, or other supporting
documentation where Microsoft explicitly encourages the use of HTML when
posting to their newsgroups.

Permitting HTML is a far cry from encouraging it, and you don't even have
any evidence that it was Microsoft who asked Cleanfeed to permit it.

No, HTML and top-posting are both bad things - they decrease the
readability of postings while increasing the size of the articles.

I never said they weren't bad things. I wasn't commenting on HTML or
top-posting, but rather your accusation that "Outhouse" (by which I assume
you actually mean Outlook Express) is a) a "pseudo-newsreader" (whatever the
heck that is) and b) causes users to top-post and use HTML. Your
subjectiveness is plastered all over your post.

There is NOTHING about OE that causes users to top-post. Quoted text has to
go somewhere; only the user is capable of breaking it up and making the
reply flow correctly. Some newsreaders put the text at the top and the
insertion point below, while others (like OE) put the text at the bottom and
the insertion point above. The two behaviors are basically equivalent.
It's up to the user to do something useful with it.

Even the HTML behavior is completely optional. It's true that OE defaults
to HTML formatted messages (I think...it's been so long since I set up OE
from scratch, I'm not really sure). But what really causes HTML messages to
show up on Usenet is people who don't bother to watch and learn before they
post.

You will probably fall out of your chair in amazement to find out that I use
Outlook Express. After all, none of my posts exhibit these two Usenet faux
pas that you're talking about.

The
majority of mail clients and newsreaders for Windows encourage these
things. I'd blame Outhouse, but in actual fact in the email world it's
Bloated Stoats that seemed to have started the top posting crapola. But
Bloates doesn't do news, so it's not germaine to this discussion.

Your propensity toward conveying your biases with made-up names for products
has completely obfuscated this part of your post. I have no idea whatsoever
what product you're talking about here. "Bloated Stoats"? "Bloates"?

Pete

Old July 10th 03, 02:22 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Peter Duniho" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
If you look at the source code for Cleanfeed, you'll see the microsoft.*
newsgroups are among the few where HTML is explicitly allowed. Or at
least that was the case 4 or 5 years ago. I was told that was a request
from Microsoft. I never actually verified it.

So you have no evidence to support your claim. Given that you said "they

Yes, you're right. I meant to say I withdraw the claim in my previous
post, but I left it out.

There is NOTHING about OE that causes users to top-post. Quoted text has to

It sure seems like OE users top-post by default.

You will probably fall out of your chair in amazement to find out that I use
Outlook Express. After all, none of my posts exhibit these two Usenet faux

No, clueful users can overcome the limitations of their crappy software.

Your propensity toward conveying your biases with made-up names for products
has completely obfuscated this part of your post. I have no idea whatsoever
what product you're talking about here. "Bloated Stoats"? "Bloates"?

Lotus Notes. The worst piece of software ever written.

--
Paul Tomblin , not speaking for anybody
"You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else." -
Old July 10th 03, 02:29 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Steve House wrote:

Check again - DC says all theirs are. Haven't looked at Bose and Sennheiser
lately.

Ok, I checked again at http://www.davidclark.com/HeadsetPgs/aviation.shtml
Every non-ANR headset I checked is TSO'd. None of the ANR headsets are (at
least, DC doesn't say they are).

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel
Old July 10th 03, 04:07 AM
Sydney Hoeltzli

Newps wrote:

I currently have the Cross Country. I had an original 20K, then the
25XL.

What happened to the 20K and the 25XL?

Cheers,
Sydney

Old July 10th 03, 01:25 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Been around since it was telnet and before that tty, and I have always top
posted so that the first thing the reader views is the new information... If
he is too brain dead to remember what has been posted prior, he is free to
read on down or search the archives...

Denny - awk grep nnnn
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Steve House"