Reported by CNN this morning!!!!!

Old July 18th 03, 10:43 PM
Robert Moore

"Harry Gordon" wrote
I too saw the film and he was sitting in the left seat
which means he is the pilot-in-charge.

Harry...perhaps you meant pilot-in-command? No such thing
as pilot-in-charge in FAA-Land.
I have hundreds of hours as pilot-in-command of Boeing-707s
occupying the right-hand seat.

Bob Moore
ATP CFI
Old July 19th 03, 12:23 AM
Dave Stadt

"Harry Gordon" wrote in message
Toks, I'm just a student pilot right now, but it seems to me that this

time
it was the pilot who is trying to make "us" look bad. I too saw the film

and
he was sitting in the left seat which means he is the pilot-in-charge. It
seems to me that it is difficult to be "in charge" and be asleep. I didn't
look up the FAR to see if his sleeping is permitted. But regardless, to me
anyway, chalk this one up to the pilot. Just my humble opinion. (I wonder

if
my upcoming checkride DE would mind if I took a nap while we are up at

3,500
feet???)

Harry

What seat one is in means nothing.

Old July 19th 03, 03:04 AM
Drew Hamilton

Harry Gordon wrote:
Toks, I'm just a student pilot right now, [...]
he was sitting in the left seat which means he is the pilot-in-charge. It

As you're a student pilot, I'm sure that you've spent several hours in the
left seat of an aircraft without being the pilot-in-command.

- awh

Old July 19th 03, 03:57 AM
Harry Gordon

Correct me if I'm wrong but if "you're" flying the left seat of an airplane
with paying passengers in the back seats, you are NOT a student pilot :-).

Harry

Old July 19th 03, 04:02 AM
Harry Gordon

Harry...perhaps you meant pilot-in-command? No such thing
as pilot-in-charge in FAA-Land.

Yea, your right, Bob. I had just finished a 2.5 hour solo flight when I
wrote my response and with being a little tired, some of my old military
terminology snuck in there :-).

I have hundreds of hours as pilot-in-command of Boeing-707s
occupying the right-hand seat.

Was there a student pilot in the left seat with paying passengers in the
back?

Harry

Old July 19th 03, 04:13 AM
Robert Moore

"Harry Gordon" wrote
Was there a student pilot in the left seat with paying
passengers in the back?

Perhaps not a "student" pilot, but a "not fully qualified"
pilot flying the FAR Part 121 25 hours of IOE, (Initial Operating
Experience) required to qualify as pilot-in-command. The IOE
was flown under the supervision of a check airman who was the
pilot-in-command in the right seat.

Bob Moore
Old July 19th 03, 07:58 AM
Phillip

"Harry Gordon" wrote in message
Correct me if I'm wrong but if "you're" flying the left seat of an

airplane
with paying passengers in the back seats, you are NOT a student pilot :-).

Harry

So you assume the PIC can't be in the right seat?

Old July 19th 03, 08:54 AM
Capt. Doug

Robert Perkins wrote in message I think the pilot's mistake was not so
much that he was asleep while another had the controls; the safety problem
with that is not as
critical in a 2-crew airplane at cruise.

Walker's flies a few times per week, one hour out and one hour back, always
during the day with the crew being home every night. It's not a high demand
job. Doing back-to-back red-eyes out to LAX can tax one with fatigue, but
not doing a cake job like Walker's. Besides, a professional pilot makes sure
he is well rested before taking a flight, or he calls out sick.

The FO is certainly capable of flying the plane. However, radar services are
NOT available for much of their route and there is a lot of traffic crossing
that route. An extra set of eyes scanning for traffic is a valuable safety
asset.

Rather, it was that he let his passengers get unsettled enough to
document it. Never scare the pax, right? They pay the bills for the
flight, after all...

They weren't unsettled. They were giggling. They don't pay the bills either.
The island is huge tax write-off for a big corporation. Those passengers
will likely be back. The one on CNN said as much.

So while falling asleep wasn't bad for flight safety so much, it was
*very* bad for business. Wasn't he sacked?

Wrong, wrong, and wrong again. He resigned.

Old July 19th 03, 02:12 PM
Dave S

Maybe NOW the feds can push through some MEANINGFUL crew rest and duty
time limitations. Whats scary is riding in the back in a 135 op and
looking up to find BOTH of them guys nodding off... its happened more
than once.

Dave PPSEL

Toks Desalu wrote:

Guys!
You could not believe what I saw on CNN before I left for work. I missed
the beginning of the segment, but I understood the whole story. A passenger
was fliming during the flight. That film was showing on CNN. The pilot got
caught sleeping while flying. The pilot did not wear the headset. I noticed
that he was wearing a ear plug. You could see his head tilt backward with
his left eye closed. The passenger claimed that he was filming him sleeping
for about one hour. At the end of segment, the CNN went to FAA for comments
and the FAA claimed that it was against the regulation. FAA claimed that the
pilot must be awake and his must be on the control at all the time. There is
no way to tell what kind of aircraft but, it was pretty clear that it is
under general aviation, a high wing with mulit-engine(propeller) aircraft.
Also, because of pilot's uniform, and other passengers, it indicated that it
is under part 121 operation. But, I could be wrong. I have no idea where the
flight was but the reporter said he/she was reporting from West Palm Beach,
Florida.
Here my questions:
Can you believe this?
I studied regulation back in college and don't remember any specific
regulation that said the hand must be at control at all time. Anybody can
point it out?
Why they really want to make us look bad?
Feel free to comment on this.

Toks
PP_ASEL