Jepp Charts - Subscription Only?

Old November 7th 03, 10:28 PM
Peter Gibbons

Default Jepp Charts - Subscription Only?

Went to my local pilot shop this week to pick up some new IFR charts,
and noticed a sign near the cash register that stated that Jepp charts
were now only available on a subscription basis through Jepp.

I've only ever used NOS charts, but had heard how good Jepp charts
were and was interested in checking them out. But by subscription
only? What's the reason for doing it this way all of a sudden?
Old November 7th 03, 10:43 PM
Ron Natalie

"Peter Gibbons" wrote in message om...
Went to my local pilot shop this week to pick up some new IFR charts,
and noticed a sign near the cash register that stated that Jepp charts
were now only available on a subscription basis through Jepp.

Gee...the Jepp web page still talks about the airway manual express packs being available.

Old November 7th 03, 11:11 PM
Teacherjh

I've only ever used NOS charts, but had heard how good Jepp charts
were and was interested in checking them out.

Back when I started out, the difference was night and day. However NOS has
gotten better, and now there is not enough of a difference (IMHO) to justify
the cost difference.

Jose

Old November 8th 03, 01:22 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Teacherjh wrote:

Back when I started out, the difference was night and day. However NOS has
gotten better, and now there is not enough of a difference (IMHO) to justify
the cost difference.

What cost difference? I get the northwest express which by subscription
is $20/update (I think I'm paying about $16/ea). To get the approximate
same coverage (all of Oregon, where I live) by NOS requries 3 low altitude
enroute charts and a booklet, which is about $20 if you mail order
(including shipping, eg from mypilotstore.com). You could skip one or
two of the low altitude charts if you didn't want to fly east, bringing
it down to $16 or $12. California is similar. More expensive for the
Jepp express but you need 2 NOS books to cover it and also 3 charts (again,
you can probably get by with just L2/L3).

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old November 8th 03, 01:52 AM
C J Campbell

"Peter Gibbons" wrote in message
om...
| Went to my local pilot shop this week to pick up some new IFR charts,
| and noticed a sign near the cash register that stated that Jepp charts
| were now only available on a subscription basis through Jepp.

We still carry Jepp charts.

Old November 8th 03, 02:19 AM
Teacherjh

What cost difference?

Back then it was a factor of two, IIRC. Also you need to subscribe to an area,
consistantly. With NOS, you can pick and choose, and skip it altogether when
you're not flying any IFR. Jepp was subscription only - and you had to file
all those revisions every two weeks.

NOS is available everywhere. Jepp (if it's available a la carte) is not. So
I'd rather fly what I know, and nowadays, NOS isn't bad at all.

Jose

Old November 8th 03, 05:25 AM

Funny you would post this; I called The Airport Shoppe at KRHV just
today to inquire about this; I also called Jepp.

From what I can tell, Jepp is trying to save money by only offering
their Express IFR chart pack service via subscription. Up until
recently, shops would order "x" number of packs and they would either
run short or end up with a bunch of useless, expired packs at the end of
a cycle.

Initially I was pretty peeved about this, since I would prefer to have
the option of buying the Express pack only when I'm flying a lot during
a given cycle (my flying schedule is rather sporadic), but I can
understand how it will be a lot more profitable for Jepp.

I still think that Jepp nickels and dimes GA pilots to death - e.g. I
pity the Cirrus SR2* owner that has to buy updates for both Garmin430s
*and* the Avidyne PFD that is in the later models (this is what I'm
flying right now). I think that people that have multiple systems that
require frequent Jepp updates should get a substantial break of some
kind.

Dave Blevins

Old November 8th 03, 01:59 PM

If only NACO charts were available in vector graphics. Everything on the web
from AOPA to Aeroplanner.com produces charts of marginal quality, which can
create a safety problem.