Public Aerobatics - a Disaster waiting to happen...

Old July 11th 05, 03:46 PM
Denny

Default Public Aerobatics - a Disaster waiting to happen...

I have long expressed my opinion that public displays of low level
aerobatics entails risk vastly out of proportion to any benefits,
perceived or real... Aerobatic displays do not improve public support
for general aviation nor for the preservation of local airports...
Aerobatic displays do not foster a favorable opinion of general
aviation among the lawmakers of this country - who are exquisitely
sensitive to the mood of the public... And the carnage albeit
infrequent, only reinforces the perception among the insurance
companies that any form of aviation is an underwriting loss just
looking for a place to happen... I simply do not see any benefits to GA
stemming from low level displays of aerobatics in front of the general
public...

denny

Old July 11th 05, 03:51 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Denny" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have long expressed my opinion that public displays of low level
aerobatics entails risk vastly out of proportion to any benefits,
perceived or real... Aerobatic displays do not improve public support
for general aviation nor for the preservation of local airports...
Aerobatic displays do not foster a favorable opinion of general
aviation among the lawmakers of this country - who are exquisitely
sensitive to the mood of the public... And the carnage albeit
infrequent, only reinforces the perception among the insurance
companies that any form of aviation is an underwriting loss just
looking for a place to happen... I simply do not see any benefits to GA
stemming from low level displays of aerobatics in front of the general
public...

People like to watch it. Pilots like to fly it. We don't need any more
reductions in freedom.

Old July 11th 05, 03:53 PM
Jose

I simply do not see any benefits to GA
stemming from low level displays of aerobatics in front of the general
public...

.... but there is a benefit to the audience which came out to see it.
Not everything done with GA has to have a benefit to GA as a whole. It
is sufficient that it has a benefit to the participants, not out of line
with the risks to the non-participants.

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.
Old July 11th 05, 04:05 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Denny" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have long expressed my opinion that public displays of low level
aerobatics entails risk vastly out of proportion to any benefits,
perceived or real... Aerobatic displays do not improve public support
for general aviation nor for the preservation of local airports...
Aerobatic displays do not foster a favorable opinion of general
aviation among the lawmakers of this country - who are exquisitely
sensitive to the mood of the public... And the carnage albeit
infrequent, only reinforces the perception among the insurance
companies that any form of aviation is an underwriting loss just
looking for a place to happen... I simply do not see any benefits to GA
stemming from low level displays of aerobatics in front of the general
public...

denny

Does NASCAR racing upset insurance companies?

Old July 11th 05, 04:09 PM
Hotel 179

"Denny" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have long expressed my opinion that public displays of low level
aerobatics entails risk vastly out of proportion to any benefits,
perceived or real...

----------------------------------------reply-------------------------------------------------

What next? Outlaw NASCAR 'cause thar ain't much moonshinin' theses days
nohow....

From the Redneck Riviera,

Stephen F. Pearce
Foley, Alabama

Old July 11th 05, 04:19 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Denny" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have long expressed my opinion that public displays of low level
aerobatics entails risk vastly out of proportion to any benefits,
perceived or real... Aerobatic displays do not improve public support
for general aviation nor for the preservation of local airports...
Aerobatic displays do not foster a favorable opinion of general
aviation among the lawmakers of this country - who are exquisitely
sensitive to the mood of the public... And the carnage albeit
infrequent, only reinforces the perception among the insurance
companies that any form of aviation is an underwriting loss just
looking for a place to happen... I simply do not see any benefits to GA
stemming from low level displays of aerobatics in front of the general
public...

denny

You are simply incorrect on several counts and lack understanding on the
others. What you have expressed here amounts to nothing more than your own
personal feelings on the matter.
First of all, GA insurance isn't predicated on airshow accidents...PERIOD!
Public perception of GA has little to do with air show accidents. The public
isn't nearly as uneducated and unwashed as you are attempting to make them.
They are more than capable of creating a defining line between air show
related accidents and everyday flying.
This having been said, I can attest that airshow flying, especially low
altitude aerobatics is indeed a very dangerous profession, and that in many
cases, professional demonstration pilots do indeed exceed both their own,
and their airplane's limitations. There are indeed safety issues, but
banning airshow flying will not happen as you suggest. What is happening is
that professionals are working together to make the venue safer.
I can tell you that as long as there is public interest in low altitude
aerobatic flying, and as long as spectacles like an airshow create a draw
for the public, the venue will remain with us.

To cover how the safety issues are being addressed goes way beyond the
limits of this post. Might I suggest you obtain a copy of "Zero Error
Margin" by Gen Des Barker of the South African Air Force. In this book, Gen
Barker, myself, and a large group of highly experienced professional pilots
who are completely familiar with the issues of flying aerobatics at low
altitude discuss openly the factors you might need to understand a bit more
before you attempt to speak on this issue.
Other than that, blast away with your "feelings" on the matter :-)
Dudley Henriques

Old July 11th 05, 04:23 PM
Jonathan Goodish

In article . com,
"Denny" wrote:
looking for a place to happen... I simply do not see any benefits to GA
stemming from low level displays of aerobatics in front of the general
public...

I don't know, the air shows in my area are enormously popular with the
general public. People turn out in droves for the experience. While
there may not be a large direct benefit to GA, there is a big benefit
for the airport and a resulting indirect benefit for GA.

JKG
Old July 11th 05, 05:38 PM
John Gaquin

"Denny" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have long expressed my opinion that public displays of low level
aerobatics entails risk vastly out of proportion to any benefits,
perceived or real...

Then don't produce or watch any aerobatic shows.

As someone stated earlier, pilots like to fly it, and people like to watch.
Consider these points in the context of our Constitutional liberties --- it
is the *prohibition* that must be compellingly justified, not the activity.

Old July 11th 05, 06:17 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Denny wrote:
I simply do not see any benefits to GA
stemming from low level displays of aerobatics in front of the general
public...

Then don't go.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old July 11th 05, 06:54 PM
pittss1c

On subject: mose general public airshows come to see the Jet powered cars.

Low level acro acts are risky no doubt, but boy the Masters of Disaster
were cool.
The sad thing is that, how many people thought to themselves.... "that
is an accident waiting to happen"?
I had been thinking that about Franklin's acts for years (along with
MANY others)
A show of hands: how many higher altitude, loose formation non-violent
acts do people here like to watch?
I like flying farmer cub acts (though also dangerous) Manfred Radius (he
does low level ribbon cuts too) John Mohr (non-violent, but dangerous
none the less).

Now I think of it, all the acts I like are dangerous.

Sorry
Mike