Glider rides in NM?

Old January 1st 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider rides in NM?

myself and our wives are coming to the Consumer
Electronic Show in Las Vegas and then driving to New Mexico. Do you
know of any good glider operations in the Flagstaff to Albuquerque NM
route. It would be fun to get in a glider flight.

This came from a a friend in Seattle.

Anyone any suggestions?
--
Mike Lindsay
Old January 1st 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Mike, if your friends are willing to drive about 40 minutes east of
Albuquerque on I-40 to Moriarty, there they will find Sundance
Aviation, the local FBO providing glider rides and instruction, as well
as the Albuquerque Soaring Club (ASC). ASC has won 1st place (US) in
the OLC competition the past two years if that gives you any indicator
of the soaring conditions in this part of the country.
Respectfully,

Old January 2nd 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Mike:

As stated above, follow I-40 East out of ABQ to Moriarty. Take the
second exit south to the second light and turn left. Go about three
miles and look for the Moriarty Airport sign. Turn south and follow it
until reaching the east/west road which parallels the hangars
eastbound. Follow it as it curves south and ends at the Sundance
Aviation office. Go fly!

Billy Hill

Old January 2nd 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You can find soaring sites anywhere in the USA by going to the Soaring
Society of America website www.ssa.org Look for the "Where To Fly"
button and click on any state on the new interactive map.

I offer glider rides and instruction near the scenic Davis Mountains
south of New Mexico at the artist community of Marfa, but that might be
a little off your route, unless you are going to visit Carlsbad Caverns
or Big Bend National Parks.

Burt
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
www.flygliders.com

Old January 2nd 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A little less off the route between Lost Wages and Albuquerque: 2
hours south of Flagstaff is Turf Soaring. Great place to get a ride,
they offer a variety, including acro in a K-21, scenic in G-103s and
2-33s, and rides for two friendly people in a 2-32.

It's a straight shot south from Flagstaff on I-17, get off at Exit 223
and head west on Carefree Hw, then about 8 miles later turn left on
Peoria Avenue (99th Ave) and you will see the signs for Turf Soaring
(the gliderport will be on your right when you are on Peoria Avenue).

Might be a useful option if the weather looks like not cooperating in
NM!

Plus the drive from Flag to Phoenix is one of the most scenic
interstates in the US...

Kirk

Old January 2nd 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Glider rides available in Las Vegas too. Jean Sport Aviation Center.
www.lvgliderrides.com 702 874 1010

Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
Glider rides? Kbh2u Piloting 1 November 7th 03 01:02 AM
How many Glider Rides in one day cloud nine Soaring 23 November 4th 03 04:49 PM
Part 91 Commercial Glider Rides to be Outlawed? Vaughn Soaring 9 October 27th 03 09:26 PM