Teterboro in a Cessna 182

Old June 18th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Teterboro in a Cessna 182

anyone fly a Cessna 182 into Teterboro?
from Cleveland OH area?
tips? best FBO?
thanx
Greg

Old June 18th 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Greg wrote:

anyone fly a Cessna 182 into Teterboro?

IFR or VFR?

I have been to Teterboro several time in a C172, as well as in a Bonanza.
Also, there is at least one flight school right on the field, so the
controllers are used to the slower, prop aircraft.

Familiarize yourself with the airport diagram ahead of time. Both of the
FBOs I have used (Signature and Millionare), as well as at least two others
are all located on the same side of the airport, the western most side.
All FBOs are costly, charging something like 45 dollars per day for
parking, first night waived if you buy their expensive (over $6) fuel.
Millionare has tiedowns, but I don't think Signature does, if you are
looking to stay for more than one night. I have no idea what hangar space
costs.

If you are going IFR and will be departing the airport IFR, I strongly
recommend also familiarizing yourself ahead of time with the Teterboro Five
departure procedure (the text of which is included in the link below).

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/...ETERBORO_C.PDF

Especially if ATC is using either 19 or 24 for departures, there are two
interim altitudes you cannot bust lest NY departure will get very upset.

Also, directly to the north of the airport is an almost 700 foot tall radio
tower. If you are coming from the west and are maneuvering for runway 19,
the tower will be very close to your left base leg, so be aware ahead of
time. Often the tower will mention this, but forewarned is forearmed.

As far as transportation into Manhattan, there is a New Jersey bus that
takes you into Port Authority Bus station that you can take for around
$2.00 per person. Assuming it is not rush hour in the work-day AM, this is
the most economical method in terms of cost and time for commuting into
NYC. All FBOs will drive you free of charge (tips optional) to the bus
stop at the north end of the airport, as well as pick you up when you call.

There is a train station nearby as well, which is a good way for commuting
during rush hour. This cost about $6.00 or so per person and requires a
transfer (a few stops away) before getting off at Penn Station. Again, the
FBO will drive you over to the station and pick you up when you call.

And finally, the other option is car service (no taxis unless you happen to
catch a NYC Yellow departing the area), which the FBO will arrange for you,
but this will run you $90 or so per car load.

I can post both the bus schedule and the train schedule links if you need
more information.

--
Peter
Old June 18th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Peter R." wrote:

IFR or VFR?

Sorry, was reading the post and not the newsgroup so I missed the fact that
you posted to the IFR newsgroup. That answers my question.

--
Peter
Old June 20th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Depending on what business is bringing you to NJ, I might suggest rethinking
TEB. Try Caldwell. TEB has gotten VERY unfriendly to anything that does not
burn kerosene. Ground delays (not ATC generated, but due to large amounts of
large airplanes on a ramp designed for general aviation), limited parking,
landing fees, outrageous prices, and snobby FBO's. (other than that, it's a
very nice airport). Been flying there in a Sierra for 20 years. Won't go
back.
ups.com...

Old June 20th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Greg" wrote in message
ups.com...
anyone fly a Cessna 182 into Teterboro?
from Cleveland OH area?
tips? best FBO?
thanx
Greg

Greg,

I've been there many times in a C177RG. I've never had any significant
delays, but I know others have. I tend to fly in on Weekends around 11 am
or 4 pm. I'm usually going to a show and that might be way I haven't seen
delays. Weekdays might be very different.

I usually fly IFR to avoid ATC telling me, "...remain clear of Class Bravo",
but from the south-east I also fly up the Hudson Corridor at 900 feet for a
spectacular NYC skyline view. I fly north past the George Washington Bridge
and contact TEB tower and request a landing. It's never been a problem.

I ditto everything Peter said including the 700' tower. Been there, done
that and it is scary. I can't believe they allowed that thing to be built
right next to the pattern. It gives me the hippeegeebee's everytime.

The best FBO is Signature. They are very friendly. Make sure you allow
them to fuel you, else pay a large ramp fee (100 bucks +). I always
received parking at no charge as long as it isn't over night. You will
receive a bill in the mail for $15.00 from the Port Authority as a landing
fee.

Yes, prices are very high.

The bus will take about 30 to 40 minutes to get you from TEB into Port
Authority Bus Terminal. Taxis are lined up waiting right there to take you
anywhere you want to go in NYC. I recommend the Blue Water Grill and get
the Chilean Sea Bass. 31 Union sq W, New York, NY
(212) 675-9500

Did I mention that prices are high?

Kobra

Old June 23rd 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 12:38:16 -0400, pgbnh wrote:

Try Caldwell

Or Linden. But IFR into Linden is pretty ugly. It has one GPS approach
and the MAP is pretty far off the field. Also, IFR departures can be
pretty slow, esp. if you need to depart to the east (ie. expect a release
some point after the wind shifts {8^).

MacDan at Caldwell (KCDW) has rental cars, if I recall correctly.

- Andrew

Old June 24th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Depends on where you are going too. There are also options on Long
Island that might work for you. CDW is a nice airport and if you were
to choose between CDW and MMU, you will keep more $$ in your pocket by
going to CDW.

Robert