Antique 3 cyl 4 stroke radial engine used in an aircraft circa 1930s?

Old August 18th 10, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stu Fields

Default Antique 3 cyl 4 stroke radial engine used in an aircraft circa 1930s?

I've seen what is purported to be an Indian 3 cyl radial engine that was
used on an aircraft. The cylinders appear to be Indian motorcycle cylinders
of the late 20s?? Anyone out there with and data on this??

Stu Fields
Experimental Helo Magazine

Old August 18th 10, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_7_]

On 8-18-2010 21:29, Stu Fields wrote:
I've seen what is purported to be an Indian 3 cyl radial engine that was
used on an aircraft. The cylinders appear to be Indian motorcycle cylinders
of the late 20s?? Anyone out there with and data on this??

Stu Fields
Experimental Helo Magazine

It's not an Anzani or Salmson, is it? Something like 45 HP or so?

They had used the Salmson on the Corben Aces back in the 30s.

Old August 19th 10, 07:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Murray

There was a Lenape "Papoose", even found on some early Cubs.

Old August 23rd 10, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John[_9_]

On Aug 19, 2:53*am, "Bob Murray" wrote:
There was a Lenape "Papoose", even found on some early Cubs.

Szekely?
Old August 23rd 10, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stu Fields

"John" wrote in message
On Aug 19, 2:53 am, "Bob Murray" wrote:
There was a Lenape "Papoose", even found on some early Cubs.

Szekely?

No, as I recall the Szekely had exposed rockers that had to be oiled by hand
prior to flight. My Uncle had a Buhl Pup with the Szekely.
The engine I saw had cylinders believed to come from an Indian MC.

Old August 23rd 10, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Murray

"Stu Fields" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
On Aug 19, 2:53 am, "Bob Murray" wrote:
There was a Lenape "Papoose", even found on some early Cubs.

Szekely?

No, as I recall the Szekely had exposed rockers that had to be oiled by
hand prior to flight. My Uncle had a Buhl Pup with the Szekely.
The engine I saw had cylinders believed to come from an Indian MC.

May have been a homebrew. All the Indians that I know about were
flatheads,.
Bob

Old August 23rd 10, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
xlch58

On Aug 22, 10:14*pm, "Bob Murray" wrote:
"Stu Fields" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
On Aug 19, 2:53 am, "Bob Murray" wrote:
There was a Lenape "Papoose", even found on some early Cubs.

Szekely?

No, as I recall the Szekely had exposed rockers that had to be oiled by
hand prior to flight. *My Uncle had a Buhl Pup with the Szekely.
The engine I saw had cylinders believed to come from an Indian MC.

May have been a homebrew. *All the Indians that I know about were
flatheads,.
Bob

The old flying and glider mags had plans for a three cylinder
Harley. Someone may have adapted it to Indian jugs. Indians were
flatheads, but the OP never stated OHV. There were conversions back
in the day and a few factory race bikes had OHV I think. In the
thirties there were a number of production three cylinder radials,
after the war they were all gone, as the opposed cylinder engine
displaced everything else in the small engine category and the turbine
ate up the big engine category.

Charles

Charles
Old September 22nd 10, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
wright1902glider

"Stu Fields" wrote in message

May have been a homebrew. *All the Indians that I know about were
flatheads,.
Bob

Stu,

What was the cylinder spacing? 120 degrees or 45? Was this an intake-
over-exhaust, flathead, or OHV?

The 3-cyl Anzanis would have been 45-45-45 "W" config. with intake-
over-exhaust valving. They would be from the Bleriot era 1910-1915. If
it is a one-off it may also date to the same era. I'd ping the boys at
Old Rhinebeck and see if they know what it is.

Harry Frey