Naviter Oudie Should be Available in April 2010

Old February 6th 10, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

Default Naviter Oudie Should be Available in April 2010

On Feb 6, 5:28*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Feb 6, 4:01*am, Mottley wrote:

On Feb 5, 11:08*pm, Richard wrote:

The new Naviter Oudie PNA device with preinstalled See You Mobile for
PNA scheduled be available in April.

To preorder see

http://www.craggyaero.com/oudie.htm

$650 includes See You Mobile PNA

Richardwww.craggyaero.com

Hi

Could we get some more precise details on the Hardware ports on the
Unit?
which port for power input?
which port for RS232 communication?
Is there a single cable to connect to 302 for power and data?
will varios which have 5v output (like302) be sufficent to drive the
unit?
Will the unit also have Connect Me installed and will it work through
the RS232 connection or only Bluetooth?
What is the screen brightness, is it backlight and is it
transflective??

These would be my questions before purchasing this unit. I know they
are all available in the Ultimate but I
just consider that screen to large for Cockpit mounting.

Many thanks
Bruno

The screen is a standard transflective LCD. All current consumer
portable device color LCD screens are transflective, we've had this
come up here before... the exception will be the switchable mode LCD
displays from Pixel Qi, but they are not shipping yet. So this PNA
display is likely no better daylight readable than most other screens
although the 5 inch size (slightly larger than other PDA/PNA) and
relatively low resolution (i.e. default larger font sizes that some
other PDA/PNA) may make it easier than some others to read in
daylight.

For other things can look up the specs for the underlying PNA device
which appears to be the Galilleo. (An interesting name choice for a
GPS based device). e.g. seehttp://www.armatexx.eu/consumerelectronics/product_info.php?info=p281...
(but note slight packaging differences between the pictures here and
the Naviter Oudie).

I'm not sure I understand the business model of reselling generic PNA
or PDA devices into the soaring market. *Hopefully there is value add
in here somewhere (beyond pre-installing SeeYou Mobile?). Maybe
Richard can clarify what the differences are with the Oudie.

In this day of high resolution/high pixel density capacitive
touchscreen devices and emerging interesting display technology I am
hoping we'll see much better consumer electronics based devices
appearing that will make interesting platforms for soaring software.
Unfortunately (or fortunately?) they seem less and less likely to be
Windows CE/Windows Mobile based. My money is on Android as the next
interesting source of low cost/high performance consumer electronics/
economics driven platforms. Anything iPhone/iPod/iPad based is
uninteresting at the moment until the software platform is a bit more
open (e.g. starting with bluetooth serial profile support, etc. as
I've mentioned here before).

Darryl- Hide quoted text -

Darryl,

I believe the serial port input is also a value of the Oudie and the
fact that See You will run in portrait with out the hacking required
on most other devices.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old February 6th 10, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mottley[_2_]

Hi

Thanks for all your replies regarding my questions

My opinion is that unless the RS232 Communication and Power supply
(and recharging of internal battery) IS PROVEN TO BE WORKING WITH A
SINGLE CABLE through the mini USB Port directly from a Vario there is
not much advantage of this unit against many other similar PNA Units
on the market. I see no transflective in the specification it is just
a very good backlight which will be washed out by direct sunlight but
which is good if the screen is tilted away from the sunlight.(same as
HP314)

Still waiting for units with either Pixel Qi or Qualcomms "Mirasol"
screensto come on the market.

Bruno
Old February 6th 10, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Bruno,

I guess time will tell how good it is in sunlight. My guess is that it will
be better than any other PDA or PNA (other than perhaps the AV8OR). I think
it is a good price/performance compromise.

I'm confident that we will have single cable solutions available for
connection to any soaring instrument.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old February 6th 10, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Is the mount internally wired with no connector sticking out, and
compatible with a RAM arm or gooseneck from the instrument panel?
I have a $70 Navigon PNA for portable use. It's a bit clumsy for a
permanent installation. Suction cups and external wires both invite
problems.
Jim
Old February 6th 10, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Feb 6, 1:48*pm, JS wrote:
* Is the mount internally wired with no connector sticking out, and
compatible with a RAM arm or gooseneck from the instrument panel?
* I have a $70 Navigon PNA for portable use. It's a bit clumsy for a
permanent installation. Suction cups and external wires both invite
problems.
Jim

Jim

Nope, it is a PNA with usual external cables etc.

Darryl
Old February 6th 10, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Jim,

Good questions.

The cradle and suction cup mount provided with the Oudie does not have a
built-in connector for the Oudie. It is a simple and lightweight cradle
designed for use in a car. To be honest, I don't recommend using using the
provided suction cup mount on a glider canopy because the suction cup has a
lever which can pull more suction than I want on a $5000 glider canopy. I
have seen glider canopies "dimple in" to similar suction cups. I fear that
it will cause crazing over time. It is designed for use on a glass auto
window. I do sell a nice RAM rubber suction cup that I do recommend for
glider canopies. I use it often myself and it doesn't deform the canopy.

The cradle provided with the Oudie is not designed to mount to a RAM arm,
but it is probably possible to file off a few parts, drill and countersink a
few holes and use beveled screws to mount it to a RAM arm or the gooseneck
arms I sell. It is a nice lightweight cradle. But I'm not sure it is worth
the effort. I sell a nice RAM-HOL-PD2 cradle that works great with the
Oudie and with all RAM arms and the GNeck2 goosenecks I sell.

The good news is that the power/data connector is a miniUSB connector.
miniUSB connectors are much more robust than the fragile connectors found on
all iPAQs. miniUSB connectors don't have a positive lock (they don't click
into place) but I have not heard any complaints of cables falling out of
iPAQ 310 units - which also use miniUSB connectors for power and data
connections.

I like that the Oudie has only one rugged data/power connector. I like that
it is located on the bottom of the unit.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

2010 Vorsanger1 Soaring 8 January 9th 10 10:46 AM
US Regionals 2010 5E Soaring 2 September 8th 09 05:12 PM
Well, theres always 2010 Steve Foley[_4_] Piloting 4 January 4th 09 12:33 AM
Naviter site nimbusgb Soaring 5 June 17th 05 10:04 AM