Flying Gliders in Europe: Medical Requirements

Old September 10th 18, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flying Gliders in Europe: Medical Requirements

Absolutely true.
But, I think it is safe to say that is going to be a very rare thing for a USA pilot to ship their plane to europe to fly for a couple of weeks.
With places like St. Auban that have practically every glider made available for rent...why?
I was in Fayence today and their selection of gliders is just fine for a short summer vacation.
Nice Cumulus in France today.
Old September 11th 18, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

And besides, a medical certificate is much cheaper to get than shipping
a glider.Â* If worried about the FAA, get it in Europe.

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 11th 18, 08:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 10:33:38 PM UTC+2, wrote:
Absolutely true.
But, I think it is safe to say that is going to be a very rare thing for a USA pilot to ship their plane to europe to fly for a couple of weeks.
With places like St. Auban that have practically every glider made available for rent...why?
I was in Fayence today and their selection of gliders is just fine for a short summer vacation.
Nice Cumulus in France today.

I shipped mine in 2015 when I moved here. All it takes is one peek at the EASA nightmares, paperwork and bureaucrats in love with their little rubber stamps to know it's worth it. The cost for a 40 ft container delvered in Bremen was relatively small compared to the hassles of the alternative. Especially when my glider is a classic Italian standard-class glider.
Old September 11th 18, 09:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 3:31:40 AM UTC+2, Dan Marotta wrote:
And besides, a medical certificate is much cheaper to get than shipping
a glider.Â* If worried about the FAA, get it in Europe.

Only if you are in perfect health. If not, and you are planning on staying, bringing the glider is much cheaper.
Old September 14th 18, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brtlmj

Translation: The ICAO convention in Chicago in 1944 set standards for international air travel, including pilot medical requirements, which are detailed in ICAO Document 8984, Manual of Civil Aviation Medicine. Unfortunately, the link on the ICAO web site to this manual doesn't work, and I can't find any other way to obtain that document,

Can you post the broken link?

Bart
Old September 14th 18, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Ramler

At 19:50 14 September 2018, brtlmj wrote:
Translation: The ICAO convention in Chicago in 1944 set standards for

int=
ernational air travel, including pilot medical requirements, which are
deta=
iled in ICAO Document 8984, Manual of Civil Aviation Medicine.
Unfortunatel=
y, the link on the ICAO web site to this manual doesn't work, and I can't
f=
ind any other way to obtain that document,=20

Can you post the broken link?

Bart

Not broken, but takes a long time to load...
https://www.icao.int/publications/Do...84_cons_en.pdf