Night Currency

Old October 14th 03, 04:49 AM
Doug Campbell

Default Night Currency

Practicing for my IFR, with a safety pilot (required crewmember)
I am not current at night. Can we fly this way, and achieve
currency? Not a passenger, since he is required crew.

Not an issue for my partner, we both need to get current
and trust each other's ability. Is it legal?
TIA, Doug

Old October 14th 03, 05:23 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Doug Campbell wrote:
Practicing for my IFR, with a safety pilot (required crewmember)
I am not current at night. Can we fly this way, and achieve
currency?

He's PIC and you're just the sole manipulator when you're under the hood,
but you couldn't do the takeoff or landing (unless you could do it under
the hood!) so you can't get current.

You might as well just do the T&Gs yourself before/after since there's
no way you can both be logging time at that point anyway.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 14th 03, 02:51 PM
Teacherjh

Actually, for night currency, they must be *Stop & Go*s, not just T&Gs
by FAR 61.57(b)

And an often overlooked point, takeoffs are included. You can have a logbook
full of daytime takeoffs and night landings, and they don't help a bit without
night takeoffs.

Jose

Old October 14th 03, 05:19 PM
Dan Luke

"Stephen N Mills" wrote:
Actually, for night currency, they must be *Stop & Go*s, not just T&Gs
by FAR 61.57(b)

Actually, to pick a tiny nit, the landings must be "to a full stop," for
which I have never found a definition in the FAR's. I do know that "full
stop" and "stop and go" mean different things to ATC.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old October 14th 03, 11:59 PM
Robert M. Gary

"Dan Luke" c172rgATbellsouthDOTnet wrote in message ...
"Stephen N Mills" wrote:
Actually, for night currency, they must be *Stop & Go*s, not just T&Gs
by FAR 61.57(b)

Actually, to pick a tiny nit, the landings must be "to a full stop," for
which I have never found a definition in the FAR's. I do know that "full
stop" and "stop and go" mean different things to ATC.

Just to make it fun, "full stop" means something different to approach
then to tower. "full stop" to tower means you're going to pull off the
runway. "full stop" to approach means you don't have the intension to
go missed. During training we often tell approach "full stop" and then
tower "touch n go".
Old October 15th 03, 03:50 AM
Jonathan

That is a point I had overlooked early on. I was only logging my night
landings, since most of those flights commenced earlier during daylight.

A question I still wonder is, If I only have night landings logged, would
I still be current to land at night, but just not to take off? or do I need
both night Takeoffs and night landings logged even if I only want to land
at night (with pax). Again, most of my flights which end in a night
landing, are just day-long trips where I get home late. It is a real pain to
make special trip to airport after dark just to practice night takeoffs.

What are your collective thoughts on this subject?