Blue Angel practice today Kids waving at Blues

Old April 10th 07, 04:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom Callahan

Default Blue Angel practice today Kids waving at Blues

When they land from the west and stop at the eastern end of the runway there
is a ceremony in which kids (spectators) are allowed to stand on a frontage
road and wave to the pilots. The pilots often wave back.

I wonder if I had shot this at f11 or higher would the depth of field
changed to bring the planes into focus along with the kids. With a film
camera I would have done that automatically but with this digital camera I
keep forgetting to change depth of field settings. Any constructive
comments? Tom

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5967.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	9355
Old April 10th 07, 06:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
john smith[_2_]

In article ,
"Tom Callahan" wrote:

When they land from the west and stop at the eastern end of the runway there
is a ceremony in which kids (spectators) are allowed to stand on a frontage
road and wave to the pilots. The pilots often wave back.

I wonder if I had shot this at f11 or higher would the depth of field
changed to bring the planes into focus along with the kids. With a film
camera I would have done that automatically but with this digital camera I
keep forgetting to change depth of field settings. Any constructive
comments? Tom

The answer is, it depends.
Are you shooting:
1.) aperture preferred auto
2.) shutter preferred auto
3.) manual mode?
Old April 10th 07, 06:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom Callahan

That shot was at ISO 200, 1/500th of a second and the camera chose the f
stop. If I had chosen the f stop at f/11 or higher do you think the digital
camera would have shot it in the same way a film camera does?

Old April 11th 07, 01:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
john smith[_2_]

In article ,
"Tom Callahan" wrote:

That shot was at ISO 200, 1/500th of a second and the camera chose the f
stop. If I had chosen the f stop at f/11 or higher do you think the digital
camera would have shot it in the same way a film camera does?

Yes. You were in shutter preferred mode.
Set it to apperature preferred and set the f-stop you want. The camera
will select the appropriate shutter speed for the lighting conditions.
Just make sure you have enough light that a fast enough shutter speed
will exceed an handheld movement.
Old April 11th 07, 08:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
RustYŠ RustYŠ is offline
Banned

"Tom Callahan" wrote in message

I wonder if I had shot this at f11 or higher would the depth of field
changed to bring the planes into focus along with the kids.

Don't forget though that you also need to focus somewhere between the two,
in this case on the grass. With some of the Canons you get a 'DoF mode'
where you select that mode, focus on the near object so that the camera
bleeps and then focus again on the far object. The camera then sets speed
and aperture to give max DoF and focuses mid-way too, you then just frame
the shot and press. Rather cumbersome but it does work.