Non-stop Atlantic crossing

Old August 26th 04, 10:15 AM
Paul Sengupta

Default Non-stop Atlantic crossing

http://ukga.com/news/view.cfm?contentId=2197

Old August 26th 04, 05:07 PM
Rutger

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in message . ..
http://ukga.com/news/view.cfm?contentId=2197

Holy cow! Only $200 worth of fuel to cross the Atlantic in under 13
hours... That's amazing.
Old August 26th 04, 07:17 PM
B S D Chapman

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:38:24 -0000, karel
wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message

I just wish they got the
engine reliability sorted out.

What's wrong with diesel reliability?
Are you aware of known issues
or does it just remain to be proven?

Apparently Cabair are having lots of trouble with their DA40tdi's.

General reliability, stoppages while airbourne. Unpleasent excitement!!

Still, that's why the DA42 has two )

Old August 26th 04, 08:32 PM
Toks Desalu

Now, I am impressed!

Old August 26th 04, 09:19 PM
CB

"Peter" wrote in message
news

"B S D Chapman" mail-at-benchapman-dot-co-dot-uk wrote

I just wish they got the
engine reliability sorted out.

What's wrong with diesel reliability?
Are you aware of known issues
or does it just remain to be proven?

Apparently Cabair are having lots of trouble with their DA40tdi's.

General reliability, stoppages while airbourne. Unpleasent excitement!!

Still, that's why the DA42 has two )

An aircraft owner who is still within the two year warranty isn't
going to talk publicly about his problems, especially if it is a high
profile business. As I know only too damn well, one has to go back to
the official dealer for practically everything so one needs to
maintain a good relationship with them. So, even allowing for the fact
that only a very small proportion of pilots are "online", we aren't
going to find out much about what is going on here for a few years.
But there is no way you would get me to buy this product now.

There are two ** really major ** black holes for money he the
diesel engines and their electronics, and the glass panel cockpits.
Both are almost entirely untested as far as a variety of operating
patterns around the world is concerned.

Maybe in 3-4 years' time.

and unless some people are prepared to test out the new technology then we
never find out what it can do. Thanks for your contribution to aviation
development, its much appreciated.

Old August 26th 04, 10:34 PM
Richard Herring

In article , CB
wrote

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

Right. They are generally called "test pilots" and trained and rewarded
accordingly. They aren't what the Marketing Dept. refers to as
"punters".

Thanks for your contribution to aviation
development, its much appreciated.

And yours is, O Anonymous One?

--
Richard Herring
Old August 26th 04, 11:01 PM
VinMan

"karel" a écrit dans le message de news:

Yes but I don't think I'd like to sit in a TB20 or anything of its class

for
12 hours

Especially over the Atlantic with only ONE engine available...
;o)
--
VinMan

Romani ite domum
www.ciel-et-partage.org

Old August 27th 04, 07:26 AM
John Bishop

and unless some people are prepared to test out the new technology then

we
never find out what it can do.

Right. They are generally called "test pilots" and trained and rewarded
accordingly. They aren't what the Marketing Dept. refers to as
"punters".

I don't think many flying schools would prosper if they advertised

"Come and train in the latest Thunderbird 1 aircraft, sporting the latest
technology and a great new diesel engine. (Disclaimer: This engine has not
been thoroughly tested. It may stop suddenly on final approach, or during
spin awareness training, or at any time. Also the glass cockit may fail
completely during IMC approaches. These events are completely normal and
WizzBang Flying Club cannot be held responsible for your death if this
happens)"

Great sales pitch!

John

Old August 27th 04, 08:36 AM
Thomas Borchert

Peter,

. I just wish they got the
engine reliability sorted out.

Show me numbers that make the Thielert appear unreliable. I haven't
heard of ANY. But I'd be real interested.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 27th 04, 08:36 AM
Thomas Borchert

Karel,

Yes but I don't think I'd like to sit in a TB20 or anything of its class for
12 hours

Have you sat in the DA40 or 42? The TB20 offers WAY more room.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)