Heartfelt Thank You

Old October 18th 16, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Heartfelt Thank You

On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 11:22:56 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 7:30:59 AM UTC-7, Charlie Papa wrote:
On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 9:45:53 AM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Have been around aviation my entire adult life. I know of one instance where letting go of the controls saved one student pilot who inadvertantly had gotten into a spin while practicing slow flight in a cessna 172. As a student pilot just getting ready for his airman check ride, he had not had spin training, only spoke of spinning and recovery, but one thing the instructor had told this student, "if you get into trouble, chop the throttle and take hands and feet off controls". Well, this student did this and the Cessna recovered. I am a believer in teaching pilots how to fly including spinning. I have never been to a glider operation that did not required students to be proficient at spins.

On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 4:01:06 AM UTC-7, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 5:03:27 PM UTC+13, wrote:
Oh wow! You are an amazing instructor! This is great!

My big question was of the other pilot threw up in his hands? What kind of pilot does that? Is this a joke?

1) those saying "You have control"
2) those saying "Insha Allah" (subset of the above, God is the copilot)

The recreational pilot (Canadian version of LSA pilot) did not throw up 'in his hands', - he threw his hands in the air. And yes, for some aircraft, that is a fix. We use 2-33s for ab initio training, and the technique works in them, but it certainly would not in the 2-32. And for the record, the spin recovery method we teach, subject always to override by instructions in the POH, is 1) full opposite rudder, 2) centralise the stick, 3) pause briefly, 4) lower the nose until the auto-rotation stops, 5) centralise the rudder, and 6) pull out of the dive watching the G's

It was, it would seem, no joke. The thanks was as sincere as it gets.

All glider student pilots get spin training in the U.S. - it is all other student pilots who don't. There is a very practical reason for this: gliders are flown at speeds and attitudes that make spins very possible. Spins in power planes typically occur at altitudes that are not recoverable (base-to-final turns). I once asked my power instructor to demonstrate a spin entry and recovery; his answer: a flat NO! Ironically, if you do a power-on stall (like during a missed approach simulation) it looks to me very much like a spin entry.

Tom

All glider student pilots get spin training in the U.S. - it is all other student pilots who don't

Tom - I beg to differ! I got my ticket many moons ago in Germany and we certainly had to demonstrate spins and spin recovery as part of our regular training. We used Ka13, L13 and the K21 for that. All do spin nicely.
Uli
AS
Old October 19th 16, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Fantastic to get the feedback. Congrats to you, and others, that may have saved some "bad statistics" over the years.
Yes, I remember that sign at RS.

I believe it was in this discussion, I have also had students (usually in a 2-33) "throw up their hands" when something odd happened (may even have been because I set it up, or, let them get deep) just to see what they would do when stressed. If they threw their hands up, and we had altitude, I would calmly put my hands on their shoulders and say something like, "It's still your airplane, start doing pilot stuff".

A couple times I had to fly it out, then we had a long ground discussion.

I always let them know, I would "let them get in over their head, never let them get over MY head".
Goal was not to scare them, but to push their limits a bit at a time in a sorta controlled environment.

Congrats again!
Old October 20th 16, 07:22 PM
JJJ JJJ is offline
Junior Member

As I've discussed in a nearby thread, I'm a kinda-sorta n00b at this, having soloed in a 2-33 40-some years ago and then getting away from it for 40 years, until just recently. Back in those days, we DID spin training (in the 2-33), and I'm glad of it! I intend to insist upon it again when I reach the stage in my re-training that seems right, but it's questionable whether spin training will be made available to me now, even if I want it.

My club has no gliders in which intentional spins are permitted -- not even our Grob 103 Acro -- but some nearby commercial FBO's have 2-32's and ASK-21's to play with (Hollister, Williams, Crazy Creek), and they've made it clear to me that they'd love to have my business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Papa[_2_] View Post
We use a venerable 2-32 for spin training, and for the student approaching solo, it is a 'come to Jesus' moment; the laminar wing of the 2-32 seems binary, - it is flying or it is not, and the attitude is dramatic.
One of my life's fantasies, which may yet come true, is to fly the venerable 2-32. Here is a video I really like, showing an instructor giving his 16-year-old son (or grandson?) spin training in the 2-32 at Crazy Creek (beautiful scenery!) which is between Middletown, Ca., and Clear Lake. Towards the end, as his reward for doing well I think, they do a full loop. That's another of my life's fantasies!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV7Vx50qAl4
Thirty-or-forty-some years ago, I went for a commercial touristy glider ride or two when they were still doing that at Calistoga, in what was very probably that very same 2-32.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Marotta View Post
I seem to recall the story was that more people died during spin training than from actual spins so the FAA, in its infinite wisdom, decided to require spin avoidance training rather than spin recovery training. Of course the slow, untrained person actually getting into a spin has no chance to recover and has to rely on the aircraft recovering itself. I was never much of a fan of that.
Yes, that's the story I've heard too. Note, OTOH, the many stories of pilots (even experienced ones, in both power and gliders) spinning when turning final and going splat. So certainly avoidance training is important, but I agree that full spin recovery matters too. If nothing else, that kind of thing embiggens the student pilot's skill and confidence in making your aircraft do exactly what you want it to do, and that matters bigly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) View Post
I always let them know, I would "let them get in over their head, never let them get over MY head". Goal was not to scare them, but to push their limits a bit at a time in a sorta controlled environment.
One of my instructors does just this, and I am glad he does. TBH, I tend to be a bit timid about pushing the limits of my comfort zone (e.g., steep turns), so I really need that, and he does it. Besides, I need that adrenaline hit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Salmon[_3_] View Post
There is no substitute for the experience of actually spinning, which for many people is not the most pleasant thing in gliding, though I did once have a pupil who said that she enjoyed it, her reason for delaying the recovery.
There's that too. It can be a kick. When I did my (limited) spin training back in 1975, we went out over San Francisco Bay to do it. We did two full turns before recovering, the explicit purpose being to demonstrate that spins aren't scary and no reason to panic, and to avoid getting disoriented by looking out into the mid-distance. The instructor had me call out the names of the various bay-shore cities as they went wheeling past -- There's Palo Alto. There's Mountain View / Santa Clara. There's San Jose. There's Milpitas. There's Fremont, etc. It was like combining spin recovery training with a leisurely sight-seeing tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Marotta View Post
It is my understanding that, currently in the US, the only requirement for spin training (except for CFI candidates) is recognition and avoidance of spins. As your story illustrates, a spin can still happen and, with two untrained pilots at the controls, the outcome is uncertain.
This brings me to my main reason for making this post: I want to ask about that. What is the FAA's real stance on this? I keep hearing various stories: Some are saying that FAA no longer requires, or no longer recommends spin training, others tell me that it's absolutely FORBIDDEN for PPG students! Can this be true? Or is it at the school's, or instructor's discretion?

-- J. J.
==========================
Old October 21st 16, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Keith M

AOPA has a good article called: Stall/spin: Entry point for crash and burn?
Available he https://www.aopa.org/asf/ntsb/stall_spin.html
In 1949 the FAA removed the requirement for spin training for private pilots, substituting increased training in stall recognition and recovery, since spins cannot occur without a stall. After the elimination of the spin requirement for private pilots, the incidence of stall/spin accidents actually decreased substantially.
In reviewing 44 fatal stall/spin accidents from 1991 - 2000 and classified as instructional, the Air Safety Foundation found that a shocking 91%(40) of them occurred during dual instruction, with only 9% (4) solo training flights.
The biggest problem is where stall/spin accidents occur. Up high, time to recover. In the pattern, no.
Old October 22nd 16, 04:05 AM
JJJ JJJ is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith M View Post
AOPA has a good article called: Stall/spin: Entry point for crash and burn?
Available he https://www.aopa.org/asf/ntsb/stall_spin.html
In 1949 the FAA removed the requirement for spin training for private pilots, substituting increased training in stall recognition and recovery, since spins cannot occur without a stall. After the elimination of the spin requirement for private pilots, the incidence of stall/spin accidents actually decreased substantially.
In reviewing 44 fatal stall/spin accidents from 1991 - 2000 and classified as instructional, the Air Safety Foundation found that a shocking 91%(40) of them occurred during dual instruction, with only 9% (4) solo training flights.
The biggest problem is where stall/spin accidents occur. Up high, time to recover. In the pattern, no.
So we really need to spend more time training and practicing stalls and spins in the pattern, right? What could go wrong?

Srsly, if spin training at altitude isn't really much the cause of accidents, then why did eliminating that do much to reduce the number of such accidents? Presumably, it's the increased emphasis on incipient recognition/recovery that did that, but I recall doing that when I took some power lessons 45 years ago too, and in glider lessons 40 years ago.

-- J. J.