GPS and old-fashioned thinking?

Old December 3rd 05, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default GPS and old-fashioned thinking?

Roy Smith wrote:

I agree -- the biggest problem with today's crop of GPS is that the UIs all
stink. Having a full keyboard would help a lot (not full in the sense of a
normal PC keyboard, but all the digits and letters). The problem is,
there's no place to put such a thing in a typical GA cockpit. They are
starting to appear, however, in conjunction with cockpits designed from the
ground up to use modern systems (http://www.lancairusa.com/20051103.html,
for example).

The avionics engineers call it panel "real estate."

No high-end FMS systems use the QWERTY keyboard, rather they use a
non-typist alpha-numeric keypad.
Old December 3rd 05, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

john smith wrote:

Knowing EXACTLY where I am at all times and being able to direct to
pretty much everywhere (just the prohibited and restricted airspaces,
oh and TFR's to go around), save time, money and fuel.

And you cannot do that with a map and compass?

OMG, a true reactionary!
Old December 3rd 05, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article a97kf.62950$qw.9566@fed1read07, wrote:

Roy Smith wrote:

I agree -- the biggest problem with today's crop of GPS is that the UIs all
stink. Having a full keyboard would help a lot (not full in the sense of a
normal PC keyboard, but all the digits and letters). The problem is,
there's no place to put such a thing in a typical GA cockpit. They are
starting to appear, however, in conjunction with cockpits designed from the
ground up to use modern systems (
http://www.lancairusa.com/20051103.html,
for example).

The avionics engineers call it panel "real estate."

It's a common term. I do software development for a living. We talk about
"screen real estate", as in, "I'd really love to make that text field
bigger, but I don't think we can afford the real estate".
Old December 3rd 05, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article z67kf.62948$qw.39145@fed1read07, wrote:

The FAA, and the rest of the world as well, want to eventually shut-down
the VORs. The only remaining ground-based systems will be ILSes.

DME, and probably MLS, will be around for a while longer.

Alas, where are the MLSes?

Outside of the US

--
Bob Noel
New NHL? what a joke

Old December 3rd 05, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

john smith wrote:
Knowing EXACTLY where I am at all times and being able to direct to
pretty much everywhere (just the prohibited and restricted airspaces,
oh and TFR's to go around), save time, money and fuel.

And you cannot do that with a map and compass?

What's a compass?

John
Old December 3rd 05, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article Qn8kf.10512$_k3.3263@dukeread01,
JPH wrote:

john smith wrote:
Knowing EXACTLY where I am at all times and being able to direct to
pretty much everywhere (just the prohibited and restricted airspaces,
oh and TFR's to go around), save time, money and fuel.

And you cannot do that with a map and compass?

What's a compass?

John

It's that funny thing above the dashboard that you hang the fuzzy dice from.
Old December 3rd 05, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

JPH wrote:

john smith wrote:
Knowing EXACTLY where I am at all times and being able to direct to
pretty much everywhere (just the prohibited and restricted airspaces,
oh and TFR's to go around), save time, money and fuel.

And you cannot do that with a map and compass?

What's a compass?

John

It's the funny-looking thing above the dashboard that you hang the fuzzy
dice from.
Old December 3rd 05, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

(
http://www.lancairusa.com/20051103.html, for example).

The avionics engineers call it panel "real estate."

No high-end FMS systems use the QWERTY keyboard, rather they use a
non-typist alpha-numeric keypad.

We used to have those non-qwerty keyboards in our Approach Control
facilities. Don't know if it's true, but I heard rumors that they were
made that way to prevent overloading the computer with fast typing. They
never had to worry about that from me!
Some of the new PDA's have small folding keyboards that use bluetooth
technology to input the signal, those might be an option for tight
cockpits. No wires, and not much space required when not in use.

John
Old December 3rd 05, 11:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

And you cannot do that with a map and compass?

Nothing wrong with doing that way. But even when you can (and you can't
always, consider VFR on top), the GPS is more accurate. And when you
are flying over Canada, over unfamiliar terrain, it gives a level of
confidence that you don't get by map and compass. Compasses are subject
to magnetic anomolies, and many, many, aren't that accurate. When
coming into Las Vegas airspace (and never been there before) and I see
that the airport is 7.3 miles dead ahead, but still can't see the
airport, I KNOW where I am, where to fly next with ease and precision
you don't get with a map and compass. And I don't have to divert my
attention from flying the plane, just a glance at the GPS and I KNOW.

Also, it makes flight planning a breeze. No legs to figure. Just click
in your route, check for restricted/prohibited airspace and TFR's and
go direct! I have a Floatplane and I have put the Floatplane landing
lakes (and there are lots without anchors that you see on the charts),
into my GPS, so I have those without consulting some archane book.
Also, like I said, I have the names of the rivers and highways at my
fingertips for everyone to enjoy.

I flew direct (good to save fuel) from Sioux St Marie to a small
airport 200 miles north of Montreal over terrain that was remarkably
difficult to get good visual fixes on, and out of range of VOR's. There
were lakes, but one lake tended to look the same as the next. Other
than that, just rolling terrain that was endlessly similar.
Occasionally you would see a road or railroad (like every 150 miles),
but lets face it . What with tight on fuel, and such, I don't think I
would have gone direct here without a GPS. Too risky. I would have
diverted to the airways (which were NOT convenient), used more fuel and
taken longer.In that case enough longer I don't think I would have made
it in one day. That would have meant finding and airport with a hotel
and all that.

There seems to be some macho, hair on the chest attitude about not
using the GPS. Lots of instructors that ignore it's existence, won't
let their students use it, but lets face it, there isn't a pilot out
there that actually goes anywhere cross country that doesn't have one
and use it. No reason not too. They work great! There is a need to be
able to navigate by other means as there is always a chance the GPS
signal will not be there or your unit will malfunction. So cross
checking with other navigation techniques periodically is still a good
idea. I have over 2000 hours behind mine though, and have yet to really
loose a signal (a couple of times, temporarily, and I suspect it was my
unit, not the satellites).

When I land in a strange town and borrow the courtesy car (or rent
one), and want to see the sights, my Garmin car unit tells me where the
museums are, where the resturants are, where the rivers are. Great
little device for that too.