Cobra Gas Struts

Old April 17th 15, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]

Default Cobra Gas Struts

On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 10:22:52 AM UTC-4, Karl Striedieck wrote:
Anyone out there have a source for Cobra trailer gas struts in the US?

The trailer has an aluminum top and holds the Duo stab and wing tips.

Two numbers have been written on the inside of the trailer next to the struts: 455 and 1100.

Thanks

Karl Striedieck

Williams turned all Cobra stuff over to W+W and they don't have that size.

KS
Old April 19th 15, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

http://www.indgassprings.com/compres...s-springs.html

Try here I've not tried them, but can't find the place in Pa that I used to use.

CH
Old April 20th 15, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Linwood Stevenson

Karl,

May be too late for this thread.. A couple years ago was in similar strut need and John Murray at Eastern Sailplane had them at the time. Not sure about now....

Linwood Stevenson

Old April 20th 15, 11:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 10:22:52 AM UTC-4, Karl Striedieck wrote:
Anyone out there have a source for Cobra trailer gas struts in the US?

The trailer has an aluminum top and holds the Duo stab and wing tips.

Two numbers have been written on the inside of the trailer next to the struts: 455 and 1100.

Thanks

Karl Striedieck

Mine are coming on an Eastern Sailplane container.

KS
Old August 11th 16, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have a fiberglass top Cobra and need the correct size to order. Can't seem to read the strut number or force. Anyone have an idea what I need to order from Easylift?

Thanks,

Tim Hanke
Saratoga Springs, NY

On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 1:25:15 AM UTC-4, BG wrote:
Easylift has been a great resource for every strut in my DG 800 and cobra trailer.

The notation inside your trailer top written in a Sharpie pen give you the extended length and force in Newtons.

BG

n Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 3:20:21 PM UTC-7, Jim wrote:
On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 6:21:43 AM UTC-4, Karl Striedieck wrote:
On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 10:22:52 AM UTC-4, Karl Striedieck wrote:
Anyone out there have a source for Cobra trailer gas struts in the US?

The trailer has an aluminum top and holds the Duo stab and wing tips.

Two numbers have been written on the inside of the trailer next to the struts: 455 and 1100.

Thanks

Karl Striedieck

I checked McMaster Carr and Grainger who offer a huge selection of gas struts, but none come close to the specs needed. Almost all are too small and the various other dimensions would have to be just right.

Meanwhile, I've borrowed a strut from an idle Arcus trailer until my new struts (from Spindleberger) arrive on a container in a month.

Thanks for all the input!

Karl,
Save time AND money and just call EasyLift in FL. Tell them the force, fastener type (eyelet,etc) and open&closed length.
Bansbach Easylift of North America, Inc.
50 West Drive
Melbourne, FL 32904
Tel (321) 253-1999
Fax (321) 253-5546

www.easylift.com

Old August 12th 16, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZZ

Karl
I am going to speculate that the 1100 figure is the strut's Newton rating. I have seen 1200 and 1300 Newton struts on glider trailers.
Paul
ZZ

Old August 12th 16, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 6:28:42 PM UTC-4, ZZ wrote:
Karl
I am going to speculate that the 1100 figure is the strut's Newton rating. I have seen 1200 and 1300 Newton struts on glider trailers.
Paul
ZZ

Did you notice that the thread is over a year old?

UH

Old August 15th 16, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

Most likely, if you look on the metal triangle inside your trailer where the strut attaches, there will be an 1100 or some such number written down. That is the Newtons value of the spring you need.

I just ordered a replacement from Wings and Wheels. I'm sure you could figure out a replacement other than buying the exact model from W&W, but it was easier to just place the order and be done with the issue.

Morgan

Old September 14th 16, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I put these on a Swan trailer last year.
It did require building a rig to set the force and making some end fittings.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#6465K98

Stuart Venters