Cobra Gas Struts

Old April 1st 15, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]

Default Cobra Gas Struts

On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 10:22:52 AM UTC-4, Karl Striedieck wrote:
Anyone out there have a source for Cobra trailer gas struts in the US?

The trailer has an aluminum top and holds the Duo stab and wing tips.

Two numbers have been written on the inside of the trailer next to the struts: 455 and 1100.

Thanks

Karl Striedieck

I did check into the recharge option, but could find no service in the US. The one mentioned is in the UK. There's one in Alberta Canada but the phone attempts were so much hassle I gave up.
Old April 2nd 15, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
s6

Le mercredi 1 avril 2015 18:05:25 UTC-4, Karl Striedieck a écrit*:
On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 10:22:52 AM UTC-4, Karl Striedieck wrote:
Anyone out there have a source for Cobra trailer gas struts in the US?

The trailer has an aluminum top and holds the Duo stab and wing tips.

Two numbers have been written on the inside of the trailer next to the struts: 455 and 1100.

Thanks

Karl Striedieck

I did check into the recharge option, but could find no service in the US.. The one mentioned is in the UK. There's one in Alberta Canada but the phone attempts were so much hassle I gave up.

Hi
I had mine done at Strutwise Surrey BC Canada
fast efficient service and reasonnable cost.

S6
Old April 2nd 15, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
s6

Le mercredi 1 avril 2015 19:14:18 UTC-4, s6 a écrit*:
Le mercredi 1 avril 2015 18:05:25 UTC-4, Karl Striedieck a écrit*:
On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 10:22:52 AM UTC-4, Karl Striedieck wrote:
Anyone out there have a source for Cobra trailer gas struts in the US?

The trailer has an aluminum top and holds the Duo stab and wing tips.

Two numbers have been written on the inside of the trailer next to the struts: 455 and 1100.

Thanks

Karl Striedieck

I did check into the recharge option, but could find no service in the US. The one mentioned is in the UK. There's one in Alberta Canada but the phone attempts were so much hassle I gave up.

Hi
I had mine done at Strutwise Surrey BC Canada
fast efficient service and reasonnable cost.

S6

Hi

More info
www.strutwise.com
1-888-589-1208 canada usa
S6
Old April 2nd 15, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Clay[_4_]

McMaster Carr does have adjustable force gas struts that I have used successfully on my trailer, but it is not a Cobra. The end fitting are removable on these, I was able to use the old ones from the struts I replaced.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#gas-struts/=wkjmpn
Old April 2nd 15, 11:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 10:22:52 AM UTC-4, Karl Striedieck wrote:
Anyone out there have a source for Cobra trailer gas struts in the US?

The trailer has an aluminum top and holds the Duo stab and wing tips.

Two numbers have been written on the inside of the trailer next to the struts: 455 and 1100.

Thanks

Karl Striedieck

I checked McMaster Carr and Grainger who offer a huge selection of gas struts, but none come close to the specs needed. Almost all are too small and the various other dimensions would have to be just right.

Meanwhile, I've borrowed a strut from an idle Arcus trailer until my new struts (from Spindleberger) arrive on a container in a month.

Thanks for all the input!
Old April 2nd 15, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HGXC[_3_]

On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 6:21:43 AM UTC-4, Karl Striedieck wrote:
On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 10:22:52 AM UTC-4, Karl Striedieck wrote:
Anyone out there have a source for Cobra trailer gas struts in the US?

The trailer has an aluminum top and holds the Duo stab and wing tips.

Two numbers have been written on the inside of the trailer next to the struts: 455 and 1100.

Thanks

Karl Striedieck

I checked McMaster Carr and Grainger who offer a huge selection of gas struts, but none come close to the specs needed. Almost all are too small and the various other dimensions would have to be just right.

Meanwhile, I've borrowed a strut from an idle Arcus trailer until my new struts (from Spindleberger) arrive on a container in a month.

Thanks for all the input!

I tried some different combinations from McMaster. One was an inch shorter but otherwise would fit and i discovered that inch was a hugh deal. Had to send them back. McMaster is a good company I must have ordered 2-3 different sets and they all didn't work.

Dennis
Old April 2nd 15, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Thanks for all the input!

When your trailer gas struts fail, it's a sign that you've owned your glider too long. Time to order a new one! (The Euro is heading down to parity with the US dollar).

Mike

Old April 2nd 15, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 10:22:52 AM UTC-4, Karl Striedieck wrote:
Anyone out there have a source for Cobra trailer gas struts in the US?

The trailer has an aluminum top and holds the Duo stab and wing tips.

Two numbers have been written on the inside of the trailer next to the struts: 455 and 1100.

Thanks

Karl Striedieck

You might try suspa.com, a US manufacturer of gas springs.
Old April 2nd 15, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 9:23:58 AM UTC-4, Mike the Strike wrote:
Thanks for all the input!

When your trailer gas struts fail, it's a sign that you've owned your glider too long. Time to order a new one! (The Euro is heading down to parity with the US dollar).

Mike

Order now and start putting away money to pay for it in a year or 2 when it is built. Exchange rate then-TBD.
UH
Old April 2nd 15, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_31_]

On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 6:21:43 AM UTC-4, Karl Striedieck wrote:
On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 10:22:52 AM UTC-4, Karl Striedieck wrote:
Anyone out there have a source for Cobra trailer gas struts in the US?

The trailer has an aluminum top and holds the Duo stab and wing tips.

Two numbers have been written on the inside of the trailer next to the struts: 455 and 1100.

Thanks

Karl Striedieck

I checked McMaster Carr and Grainger who offer a huge selection of gas struts, but none come close to the specs needed. Almost all are too small and the various other dimensions would have to be just right.

Meanwhile, I've borrowed a strut from an idle Arcus trailer until my new struts (from Spindleberger) arrive on a container in a month.

Thanks for all the input!

Karl,
Save time AND money and just call EasyLift in FL. Tell them the force, fastener type (eyelet,etc) and open&closed length.
Bansbach Easylift of North America, Inc.
50 West Drive
Melbourne, FL 32904
Tel (321) 253-1999
Fax (321) 253-5546