How to buy a US registered glider

Old October 3rd 10, 07:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default How to buy a US registered glider

I am looking for some advice on the forms and process I need to go
through, to buy a glider registered in the US. From what I can tell,
I need a Bill of Sale (form 8050-2) and an Aircraft Registration
Application (form 8050-1). It appears that the latter form is only
available from the local FSDO (San Jose in my case). Then I need to
transfer title of the glider trailer at the DMV by having the previous
owner sign over the pink slip.

What am I missing, and what have I gotten wrong?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Matt (Jr)
Old October 3rd 10, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

On Oct 2, 11:19*pm, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:
I am looking for some advice on the forms and process I need to go
through, to buy a glider registered in the US. *From what I can tell,
I need a Bill of Sale (form 8050-2) and an Aircraft Registration
Application (form 8050-1). *It appears that the latter form is only
available from the local FSDO (San Jose in my case). *Then I need to
transfer title of the glider trailer at the DMV by having the previous
owner sign over the pink slip.

What am I missing, and what have I gotten wrong?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Matt (Jr)

Call the FSDO and they will mail out the forms, fill them out and be
sure to print your name below your signature on your new registration,
include a check for $5 bucks and your good to go. You may fly the bird
with copies of these documents in the sircraft...................get
insurance also.
Have fun with your Ventus C,
JJ
Old October 3rd 10, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
hretting

Find out if you are required to pay sales tax ( as we are in Fla.). If
you don't pay up front,the state will find out from the FAA and send
you a notice to pay + interest+penalty from the date of purchase. Pay
attention what fees/taxes you pay with the DMV so you don't pay taxes
twice.
What? You paid 4000$ for the spare tire and 4000$ for the
trailer...good deal!
What? You paid 6000$ for the instruments (used) and 20000$ for the
glider...good deal!
What? The glider needs a new finish and you only paid 14000$ for
it....all the better.

The glider is one item, the trailer is another. Treat them separately.

Mr. Haney would be proud.

Old October 3rd 10, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

No Sales tax is due in California for this transaction. Of that I am
sure. But this raises the question, do I need a separate bill of sale
for the glider (form 8050-2) and another for the trailer? What are
the considerations when pricing the trailer? I assume registration
fees at the DMV are based on it's value.

I will purchase insurance of course, but I am told by Costello that
liability coverage for an auto accident involving the trailer must be
covered by my auto insurance. The value of the trailer and its
contents are covered by Costello.

Matt (Jr)
Old October 3rd 10, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fcnorton

Hi Matt,

I just went through this in the last month.

In addition, the as the certificate holder the previous owner was
required to fill out the reverse side of the current airworthiness
certificate and return it to the FAA. They referenced 14 CFR 47.14(a)
(4) in a letter sent to him.

This may have been because the aircraft I purchased was certified
experimental?? I didn't have to do that to transfer my prior ship
which had the standard airworthiness certificate.

In addition, heed what JJ mentioned...be sure to print your name below
the signature in the signature block section. I failed to do that
when I originally completed the paperwork.

Congratulations on your new ship!

FC Norton

Old October 3rd 10, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
hretting

In Florida they ask for a value and if one did not build it themselves
showing cost for materials, they ask for a bill of sale for the
trailer. They take the citizen at his word and let a reviewer look
over the paperwork later and do a float test. If they are suspicious,
one could be called apon to prove the value at a future date, checking
for tax fraud.
The value you claim would have to be way out of the ballpark to
attract scrutiny since so many DMV applications takes place per day.
The story must be reasonable.
The seller could be contacted.
Glad you don't pay 6.5% sales as we do in Fl.
Old October 3rd 10, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
hretting

I' forgot, I would get a separate bill of sale for the glider and
trailer to avoid having to chase it down later. Constello insures them
separately.
Old October 4th 10, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Oct 3, 9:01*am, hretting wrote:
I' forgot, I would get a separate bill of sale for the glider and
trailer to avoid having to chase it down later. Constello insures them
separately.

Costello doesn't care about the price of either. it is strictly what
we mutually agree to. I don't think you are required to report a
price to the FAA either. The DMV might care about the trailer price
though. And I don't know about my auto insurance for liability. They
might care about trailer price too.

Matt

Old October 5th 10, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

On Oct 4, 8:07*am, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:
On Oct 3, 9:01*am, hretting wrote:

I' forgot, I would get a separate bill of sale for the glider and
trailer to avoid having to chase it down later. Constello insures them
separately.

Costello doesn't care about the price of either. *it is strictly what
we mutually agree to. *I don't think you are required to report a
price to the FAA either. *The DMV might care about the trailer price
though. *And I don't know about my auto insurance for liability. *They
might care about trailer price too.

Matt

The feds don't care what price you put on the bill of sale, but it
will be reported to the state of California (by the feds) and if you
do not pay Use Tax (aka sales tax) on it within I think it's 90 days
you will get a bill from the State Board of Equalization. The bill
will have your tax calculated based on the $ amount you have reported
on the bill of sale times the use tax rate for your county +penalty
+interest, unless you intend to keep it out of state.

When you go to DMV (to register) you will have to pay Use Tax on the
trailer based on how much you payed for it. If you're an honest tax
payer like me you might consider having your seller give you 2
separate receipts, 1 for the trailer and 1 for the glider both adding
up to the total price of the purchase to make you trip to DMV more
enjoyable.

Then next year be prepared to get a property tax bill from your county
tax man. It will be assessed at proposition 13 rates of 1% of the
value, you will get that every year. One way around that one is if
your glider or airplane is 35 years or older you can apply for an
exemption based on a historical exemption.