Charley Noble???

Old March 23rd 05, 05:48 PM
Harry Andreas

In article , "JJ McIntyre"
wrote:

The Galley smokestack. See
http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/CharlieNoble.htm

Surely it's pointing the wrong way?

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Old March 23rd 05, 06:51 PM
Mike Kanze

That only matters if you are below in the galley.

--
Mike Kanze

"You're never too old to become younger."

- Mae West

Old March 23rd 05, 10:23 PM
babygrand

I learned what a Charlie Noble was (and several hundred other salty tidbits)
from Chief Zentz. If any of you ever met him, you know he had to be the
crustiest SOB that ever went to sea. Chief Zentz was about 5'6" tall, and
about 5'6" in diameter, probably 350 pounds, and had eight or nine hash
marks on his dress blues, the only E-9 Master Chief I ever came across.
When I joined my squadron in Sangley Point, P.I., he already had 36 years
in, and chalked up another two before I left. (That was in 1965, so you know
he had some terrific WWII stories).
I learned early on that Chief Zentz made out the watch list, and that he
LOVED donuts from the galley, so... every morning when I picked up the
flight crews box lunches for the morning hops, I managed to leave a dozen
steaming hot ones on his desk, and I made sure he knew who had brought them.
He'd give me 2 and eat the other 10 himself. I still drew a few watches, but
none of the midnight to 4 AM crap.

Chief Zentz had a temper to match his girth. I think he probably inspired
the old brown shoe saying "I just safety-wired the chief into the ****ed off
position".

babygrand

"John Miller" wrote in message
babygrand wrote:
Any of you really crusty old salts know what a Charley Noble is? I heard
this term the other day from an "ancient mariner", and I hadn't heard it
since 1965, brought back some real good memories. Any one care to take

crack? Also, anyone know the origin of the term?

Wow, that *is* a trip down memory lane. Won't give it away, but will
mention that it got its name from 19th century (British) Capt. Noble,
who demanded polish.

--
John Miller, mustang
email domain: n4vu.com; username: jsm(@)

Old March 24th 05, 09:59 PM
Diamond Jim

wrote:

The Galley smokestack. See
http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/CharlieNoble.htm

Surely it's pointing the wrong way?

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur

What are you? Landlubbers? Its a sailing ship! The wind goes from the stern
(the back end) to the bow (the front end)

Old March 24th 05, 10:10 PM
Noah Little

Diamond Jim wrote:
What are you? Landlubbers? Its a sailing ship! The wind goes from the stern
(the back end) to the bow (the front end)

Spoken like a lifetime power boater. On a sailing vessel, the wind can
be from ahead or abaft the beam.
Old March 24th 05, 11:41 PM
Harry Andreas

wrote:

The Galley smokestack. See
http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/CharlieNoble.htm

Surely it's pointing the wrong way?

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur

What are you? Landlubbers? Its a sailing ship! The wind goes from the stern
(the back end) to the bow (the front end)

I know that. It looks to me like it's pointed astern.
Hence my comment.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Old March 25th 05, 02:18 AM
Gord Beaman

wrote:

The Galley smokestack. See
http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/CharlieNoble.htm

Surely it's pointing the wrong way?

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur

What are you? Landlubbers? Its a sailing ship! The wind goes from the stern
(the back end) to the bow (the front end)

Of course, one would suppose that there's several red faces
hereabouts eh wot?
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old March 25th 05, 02:21 AM
Gord Beaman

Noah Little wrote:

Diamond Jim wrote:
What are you? Landlubbers? Its a sailing ship! The wind goes from the stern
(the back end) to the bow (the front end)

Spoken like a lifetime power boater. On a sailing vessel, the wind can
be from ahead or abaft the beam.

True of course, but when one must make a choice then one chooses
the most likely choice I suppose...harrumph...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old March 25th 05, 12:57 PM
Diamond Jim

"Noah Little" wrote in message
Diamond Jim wrote:
What are you? Landlubbers? Its a sailing ship! The wind goes from the

stern
(the back end) to the bow (the front end)

Spoken like a lifetime power boater. On a sailing vessel, the wind can
be from ahead or abaft the beam.

Most navy ships were square rigged, and didn't do much sailing against the
wind.

However several of us were discussing this last night, and one guy who used
to be at the Marine Barracks Boston, (Charleston Naval Shipyard) was very
familiar with the USS Constitution. He had even participated in
re-enactments on her and was part of the Marine detachment (in the rigging)
on the annual turn around. He said that the 'Charley Noble' rotated 360º,
presumably because of the wind factor.

Old March 25th 05, 03:59 PM
Ogden Johnson III

Gord Beaman wrote:

What are you? Landlubbers? Its a sailing ship! The wind goes from the stern
(the back end) to the bow (the front end)

Of course, one would suppose that there's several red faces
hereabouts eh wot?

Why, pray tell, Gord?

This is r.*aviation*.m.n.

a) I challenge you to name one sailing vessel which ever
operated aircraft [excepting, if needed, the possible usage of
tethered balloons in the War of Northern Aggression].

b) Pilots have never /really/ been expected to know anything
about ships but enough smarts and lingo to get them from their
stateroom to the wardroom to the ready room to the flight deck.
And vice-versa. Anything beyond that, a pilot puts himself
[herself] at gross hazard of assignment to a non-flying billet on
a bird farm. Which, unless one is bucking for CVN Captain, is a
fate worse than death.
--
OJ III