Nothing to fly

Old February 22nd 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc[_4_]

Default Nothing to fly

My "go someplace" plane is gone for a few weeks having some avionics
upgrades (should be nice when done).

However, the fun plane is sitting in the hangar without a prop- MT mandates
an overhaul/inspection every six years, regardless of hours. The local prop
shop picked it up and threw it on the back of a pickup truck uncovered.
Three weeks later they had yet to take it apart, and just yesterday I
learned it needed to have some steel inserts machined into the hub.

So, now the hub has to be sent to Florida for another few weeks of work,
then returned to the original shop, reassembled, trucked up to Wisconsin,
and reinstalled. I'm guessing a month at best.

The hangar looks pretty empty.

I may have to install MSFS and pretend I'm flying and talking to ATC. It's
hard to mimic pulling and pushing g's while sitting in the chair.

Perhaps in another three months spring will arrive and this will all be a
memory.

Old February 22nd 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim B

Sounds like you need to buy your tickets to http://www.eaa.org/hops&props/
for a weekend surrounding yourself with great airplanes and good beer!
Jim

Old February 22nd 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

The hangar looks pretty empty.

Heck, Jim, your hangar looks empty when it's FULL! You're the only
guy I know with room for transient parking...and I surely appreciate
it.

;-)

But seriously, I feel your pain. I'm dreading starting our annual,
because I know we're gonna have to find and fix that pesky fuel seep
in the right wing, and it's gonna be a "hunting expedition", and it'll
probably require sending the gas tank(s) out for resealing, and...

Augh. It's always something.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 23rd 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

"Viperdoc" wrote in message

I may have to install MSFS and pretend I'm flying and talking to ATC. It's
hard to mimic pulling and pushing g's while sitting in the chair.

Do like the rest of us...rent. Or (better yet) take the opportunity to get
a new rating somewhere. Gliders? Seaplane? (shudder) Helicopters?

Old February 23rd 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Margy Natalie

Jim B wrote:
Sounds like you need to buy your tickets to http://www.eaa.org/hops&props/
for a weekend surrounding yourself with great airplanes and good beer!
Jim

Damned, this is one thing probably worth Wisconsin winters (well, not
really) and since everyone else is bellyaching, we had to DRIVE to our
runway lot in NC as the plane was in perfect shape, but the ramps are
iced over and we couldn't get out of the hangar.

Margy

Old February 23rd 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc[_4_]

One plane is gone for two weeks in the avionics shop, the other will sit in
the hangar for probably a month waiting for the prop.

Unfortunately, there isn't much on the field for rent that I haven't flown
before, like 152's, 172's, 172RG, Arrows, Citabria, or Cherokee 180. There
is a Duke that I could get some dual in, but it costs $600/hr.

Soaring and seaplanes are nowhere close by, and although a rotor rating
sounds appealing, I think it would cost close to 10 grand, and I would need
to drive over an hour each way to take a lesson.

So, maybe it's time to wash the hangar floor, or go out as safety pilot with
my buddy so he can play with his new 530W/430W.

Old February 25th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

In article ,
"BT" wrote:

time to find a new prop shop for the next 6 year inspection?

It's a "furren"-made prop for acro mounts.
Not just any prop shop can do the work.