the worst part of the year ...

Old June 14th 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kevin Clarke

Default the worst part of the year ...

Fellow R.A.O folks,

I hate this time of year, annual time. The reason I hate it is because I
am 2 wks in now and counting. How long does your annual take? It was 5
wks last year...

thanks,
KC
Old June 14th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article ,
Kevin Clarke wrote:

How long does your annual take?

A few days. The quickest was 24 hours. The longest annual
is not something I want to think about...

This is for a cherokee 140.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old June 14th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter Clark

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 21:56:47 GMT, Kevin Clarke
wrote:

Fellow R.A.O folks,

I hate this time of year, annual time. The reason I hate it is because I
am 2 wks in now and counting. How long does your annual take? It was 5
wks last year...

Only once went longer than 1 week and that was due to the gear attach
crack SB from Piper which needed parts..
Old June 14th 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Kevin Clarke wrote:

Fellow R.A.O folks,

I hate this time of year, annual time. The reason I hate it is because I
am 2 wks in now and counting. How long does your annual take? It was 5
wks last year...

thanks,
KC

It depends on the complexity of the plane, but the inspection itself
takes from a couple of hours (fixed gear single) to a couple of days
(multi-engine turbine with hot section inspections).

What likely is taking all the time is the REPAIR of all the things wrong
with it, combined with "your place in line". Generally, FBOs have more
than one bird to work on. If you have the lowest priority, it can take a
REAL long time. Flight school planes, commercial birds, big ticket
owners, and buddies can push you to the "back of the hangar" for quite
some time. You might ask how much "express" service might cost.

Good Luck,
Mike
Old June 14th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kevin Clarke

Mike Spera wrote:
Kevin Clarke wrote:

[...]

yeah, I should have mentioned it is a '73 PA28-180. There is nothing
wrong with it. It flies like a champ. Last year it needed a new magneto
so it took a wee bit longer. The shop services only these sorts of
planes. Other stuff could go in there, but turbine or jets or even multi
are rare. It is other planes. Usually 6 or so at a time. It just takes
forever.

KC
Old June 15th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

On 6/14/2007 5:56:49 PM, Kevin Clarke wrote:

I hate this time of year, annual time. The reason I hate it is because I
am 2 wks in now and counting. How long does your annual take? It was 5
wks last year...

Do you do that thirteen month thing (bring it in on the last week of the 12th
month and have it signed off on the first week of the new month) or are you
fixed to June annuals?

I ask because if you are fixed at June, you ought to consider switching the
annual month to January or February.

--
Peter
Old June 15th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kevin Clarke

Peter R. wrote:
On 6/14/2007 5:56:49 PM, Kevin Clarke wrote:

I hate this time of year, annual time. The reason I hate it is because I
am 2 wks in now and counting. How long does your annual take? It was 5
wks last year...

Do you do that thirteen month thing (bring it in on the last week of the 12th
month and have it signed off on the first week of the new month) or are you
fixed to June annuals?

I ask because if you are fixed at June, you ought to consider switching the
annual month to January or February.

choice 1. We drag it out for 13 mos. Last year's annual went in April 1
and we got it back May 5th. This year I brought it in on May 30th, still
counting. I'm not sure if it would help at this particular shop. The
previous partners in this plane have always complained about long
annuals. I think it is a function of the shop and not so much the time
of year.

KC
Old June 15th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Rip

Kevin Clarke wrote:
Peter R. wrote:

[...]

Kevin, change shops. I work on one aircraft at a time, first scheduled,
first served. A PA28 shouldn't take more than 4 days unless there is
something that requires repair or parts. For that, add another 2 days.

Rip
Old June 15th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_1_]

Warrior, 151, 1976.

We pay VERY close attention to the aircraft, and fix whatever is
needed as we go along. We never "wait" until the annual inspection.

......so we are seldom (so far) suprised at the annual.

We "owner assist"..

We removed all seats, carpets, panels, access plates on Wednesday, AME
inspected on Thursday, replaced brake pads on left main at our
request.

We screwed the plane back together on Thursday evening, signed off
Friday AM..

ready to go.........

Dave

Old June 15th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_5_]

Late Spring/early Summer is definitely a bad time to have your plane
laid up. Ideally, an Annual should be only a few days. However, if
something has to be pulled and sent off for repair it can stretch into
months. Years ago now, but an AD required that my prop blades be shot
peened for stress relief. Only two places in the world did that - one
in Canada, and the other in Germany. It took awhile...
Depending on the weather where you live, late fall is a good choice.
My last was in November/December. Fortunately, the weather cooperated.

David Johnson

Our Worst Nightmare? alank Piloting 56 January 10th 07 10:10 AM
Worst weather, ever... Jay Honeck Piloting 121 January 17th 05 08:21 PM
Worst Jokes At Oshkosh Ron Natalie Home Built 3 August 23rd 04 06:30 PM
Be ready for the worst! Ed Byars Soaring 20 April 6th 04 03:03 AM
How about worst looking airliner? Andrew Burke General Aviation 19 January 2nd 04 11:13 PM